PDA
View Full Version :

BAsic welding tools

Cope
11-21-2012, 10:30 AM
I took this picutre many years ago and posted it on Hobart Weld Talk. Just some basic tools for welding.

undercut
11-21-2012, 11:07 AM
I was thinking about getting myself a chipping hammer like that. Mine has a face that is too large for chipping into corners.

BucketObolts
11-21-2012, 11:51 AM
Chisels,center punches, and flat blade screwdrivers work good too. Just tap them with a hammer.
I don't own a chipping hammer. I hit everything with a wire wheel on a drill motor. If there is anything left I use one of the above.

I was thinking about getting myself a chipping hammer like that. Mine has a face that is too large for chipping into corners.

undercut
11-21-2012, 11:59 AM
Great ideas, bucket, but I'd like to be able to get by without have more than one tool misplaced that I can trip over .... LOL. I'm clumsy enough as it is.

BucketObolts
11-21-2012, 01:00 PM
They are cheap enough. But it would be fun to make a chipping hammer too.

Great ideas, bucket, but I'd like to be able to get by without have more than one tool misplaced that I can trip over .... LOL. I'm clumsy enough as it is.

undercut
11-21-2012, 01:14 PM
They are cheap enough. But it would be fun to make a chipping hammer too.

Yes, you are right. I was actually playing with the idea of modifying a pair of pliers that I have and putting a head on it. Cheers!

Gadget
11-21-2012, 03:06 PM
You mean like these?

undercut
11-21-2012, 03:18 PM
Yes, very much like that. I've got an old pair of pliers that I don't use but would be useful in the welding cart. For those out there who might want to do the same, be sure to be aware of any precautions associated with welding anything with chrome on it. The following is just a forum link with people talking so I would presume anything in it 100% factual but you get the idea:

Welding Stainless Steel dangerous? - MIG Welding Forum (http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=30190)