PDA
View Full Version :

Welders are important and needed

undercut
11-21-2012, 12:57 AM
This particular article is from the Financial Post and has a Canadian angle to it but it is no different than here in the states. Construction demographic ‘time bomb’ may delay oil and gas projects | Oil & Gas: Special Report | Financial Post (http://business.financialpost.com/2012/11/05/construction-demographic-time-bomb-may-delay-oil-and-gas-projects/)

undercut
11-21-2012, 01:00 AM
Jay Leno has a similar sentiment and made this video, what, 4 years ago?

Welder Shortage Explained by Jay Leno (http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/welder-shortage-jay-leno-video.html)

Kevin Caron
11-21-2012, 07:51 AM
Well said Jay!!

undercut
11-21-2012, 09:27 AM
If only we could move people easily who are unemployed, who want to move and who can be retrained to where they are needed ....

brucer
12-07-2012, 03:39 AM
The biggest problem I see is the pay scale and It's not scaling well..

If manufacturing makes a come back, there will be a shortage of machinists and toolmakers, they are already experiencing it to an extent actually... Older experienced toolmakers have shifted to new careers making the same money with better/cleaner working conditions, I know many that have gotten laid off over the years and shifted careers and never looked back..

High Schools have shutdown programs nationwide because of lack of participation, I blame parents, I see that being the cause.. Parents dont want their kids welding or machining for a living, they want their children in college getting an education so they can work in a cleaner safer environment, and believe it or not I think kids are smarter than they were 20yrs ago, yea, they dont act it, but if you see some of the homework kids bring home you would be quite surprised...

I also feel the nation is changing, I think we have moved from a manufacturing base to a services industry base, which isnt good for the working mans wallet.

undercut
12-07-2012, 11:50 AM
... I also feel the nation is changing, I think we have moved from a manufacturing base to a services industry base, which isnt good for the working mans wallet.

You are not the only one to see that progression. There is an awful lot of jobs that geared toward US consumption - services, etc. No good at all.