PDA
View Full Version :

Help here, dunno what to do. What welding process start with?

Dybik
10-18-2012, 05:38 AM
Hello guys.
My name is Estéfano, i am 18 and i am with a problem here.
I was working on steel as a cleaner in netherlands and at a time i saw that 2 new lessons os welding were about to start in Portugal.
1 - 111 Welding - 1400€
2 - 141 GTAW - 1700€

Well, with an advice from my father in law that is a 136 and 111 certified welder, he said that i go for the TIG welding, and so i applied.
In the lessons my professor asked me if i knew how to weld with the 111 process, well i said i don't, I never welded in my life, i just have some steel work experience and theoric study and than he said that I should go for the 111 instead of the 141.
Well at this point, i didn't knew what to do... because in the TIG welding course you have to know how to do the first ring with TIG and than electrode filling. That's the plan, so, 2 processes. In the 111 course you just have to know one.
I don't know if I should risk it our not, I have 5 weeks of formation, 120h, I was thinking of doing 1 week electrode and than the other four at TIG, because my father in law is telling me to not listen to the professor, and my girlfriend is saiyng that i have to trust my self and if I came here to have TIG then I shloud have TIG.
But I am afraid i can't make it on the exam. I am on the second day now and the time to decide is running out, because the other ones on the class that can more a less electrode weld will start on TIG in a couple of days, and i am afraid that i will stay back.
I will start going to the school 1 hour earlier to train the electrode, I was thinking of seeing how do I make it on electrode by the end of the week and if i am good than go to TIG, if not then give up :/

What do you guys advise me?

undercut
10-18-2012, 12:07 PM
Hello guys.
My name is Estéfano, i am 18 and i am with a problem here.
I was working on steel as a cleaner in netherlands and at a time i saw that 2 new lessons os welding were about to start in Portugal.
1 - 111 Welding - 1400€
2 - 141 GTAW - 1700€

Well, with an advice from my father in law that is a 136 and 111 certified welder, he said that i go for the TIG welding, and so i applied.
In the lessons my professor asked me if i knew how to weld with the 111 process, well i said i don't, I never welded in my life, i just have some steel work experience and theoric study and than he said that I should go for the 111 instead of the 141.
Well at this point, i didn't knew what to do... because in the TIG welding course you have to know how to do the first ring with TIG and than electrode filling. That's the plan, so, 2 processes. In the 111 course you just have to know one.
I don't know if I should risk it our not, I have 5 weeks of formation, 120h, I was thinking of doing 1 week electrode and than the other four at TIG, because my father in law is telling me to not listen to the professor, and my girlfriend is saiyng that i have to trust my self and if I came here to have TIG then I shloud have TIG.
But I am afraid i can't make it on the exam. I am on the second day now and the time to decide is running out, because the other ones on the class that can more a less electrode weld will start on TIG in a couple of days, and i am afraid that i will stay back.
I will start going to the school 1 hour earlier to train the electrode, I was thinking of seeing how do I make it on electrode by the end of the week and if i am good than go to TIG, if not then give up :/

What do you guys advise me?

This is a duplicate post, right? I responded to the other post.

WookieWelding
10-18-2012, 09:38 PM
Take the smaw course then the tig cant walk with no feet

Dybik
10-19-2012, 06:14 AM
Take the smaw course then the tig cant walk with no feet

Well we learn the SMAW in the course, i just have to be quick, i am going 1 hour earlier than everyone just to practice, i am confident, i have an update on the other post on TIG welding sub-forum, have a check.

Thank you!

roberts56
10-19-2012, 08:20 AM
You posted the same question here, I have said my piece already on the Tig welding sub forum son . But let me add this, here in our country, our government provides a technical learning school where any one interested can learn different technical skills, speaking of welding, new members or student will have to learn first 120 hours of basics of SMAW or Stick welding and at the end of the 120 hrs of training will receive a COT (certificate of training) but will have to pass an actual testing before going to the next level. And if one passes the actual test application, he gets a NC-1 (national certification 1). The next level is still in SMAW, dealing with the usage of different welding electrodes used in pipe fittings and again another 120 hours of training is needed, then again one must pass its test to get an NC-2 (national certification 2). Now after these two basic training in Smaw, next level is NC-1 and NC-2 for MIG process and likewise with Tig process of welding. See,the basics are still a must and really very important.

undercut
10-19-2012, 10:47 AM
You posted the same question here, I have said my piece already on the Tig welding sub forum son . But let me add this, here in our country, our government provides a technical learning school where any one interested can learn different technical skills, speaking of welding, new members or student will have to learn first 120 hours of basics of SMAW or Stick welding and at the end of the 120 hrs of training will receive a COT (certificate of training) but will have to pass an actual testing before going to the next level. And if one passes the actual test application, he gets a NC-1 (national certification 1). The next level is still in SMAW, dealing with the usage of different welding electrodes used in pipe fittings and again another 120 hours of training is needed, then again one must pass its test to get an NC-2 (national certification 2). Now after these two basic training in Smaw, next level is NC-1 and NC-2 for MIG process and likewise with Tig process of welding. See,the basics are still a must and really very important.

Do the technical schools in your country cover oxy welding at all? I've read recommendations from many people that starting with oxy welding really helps.

JolietJames
10-19-2012, 10:22 PM
It teaches you the two hand technique without the foot pedal. It's a logical step in the learning process. It's good to learn in case you are out of argon and something either comes up, or you run out just shy of finishing something that needs to get done.

undercut
10-19-2012, 11:52 PM
Cool. Thanks for the info. Need to do some reading ....

JolietJames
10-20-2012, 12:14 AM
I'm sure there are vids on YouTube featuring gas welding. Who reads anymore?lol

undercut
10-20-2012, 12:50 AM
I'm sure there are vids on YouTube featuring gas welding. Who reads anymore?lol

LOL. I'm not sure gas welding would be as exciting to watch as TIG or stick welding! Great idea. Thanks!

JolietJames
10-20-2012, 01:20 AM
No problem.

undercut
10-20-2012, 01:44 AM
Not a super fantastic video but looks like something I might want to try ....

Gas Welding Using Gas Filler Rod - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P_QhTOnknQ)