PDA
View Full Version :

40i problems air solenoid problem again..

brucer
09-25-2012, 11:23 PM
I have the 40i hooked up on my cnc plasma. I cut two small parts out today in 1/8" aluminum and also 1/8" steel.. I then set up a piece of 5/16 plate and started to cut a 8"x2" shackle, torch fired fine for the first couple holes and actually cut pretty good, then the air would not shut off when the plasma shut off to move to the next hole so the plasma arc wouldnt fire at the next m3... I had this happen before and it seemed it was the spring in the air solenoid had got week...

I can take the cover off tomorrow and stretch the spring again, but evidently there's something not right with the spring if its getting that weak that quick..

I was also wanting to know the specs on the air solenoid as I might be able to get a nice Parker air solenoid for it.. I dont remember if there were specifications marked on the solenoid, seems like there wasn't..

KHK
09-26-2012, 09:10 AM
On my 200pi the solenoid is a 240 volt ac coil. So be very careful and match what you have.

brucer
09-26-2012, 01:23 PM
keith,

went and pulled the cover off my 40i and took a picture of the air solenoid...

mines 220v also

undercut
09-26-2012, 01:27 PM
Do you have a picture of the spring that keeps failing?

brucer
09-26-2012, 02:06 PM
Do you have a picture of the spring that keeps failing?

hold on a few minutes and i'll get one

brucer
09-26-2012, 02:10 PM
spring that keeps getting weak..

undercut
09-26-2012, 02:22 PM
So that spring is inside of the solenoid?

brucer
09-26-2012, 02:27 PM
So that spring is inside of the solenoid?

yes, it goes under the plunger inside the solenoid..

undercut
09-26-2012, 02:30 PM
yes, it goes under the plunger inside the solenoid..

Given that you already modified it once, I don't blame you for looking for a replacement. Any luck finding something?

undercut
09-26-2012, 02:46 PM
Found the same part on Amazon.

Amico New DF2-3-B 0-0.8MPa Two-position Two-way Solenoid Valve AC 220V - Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/Amico-DF2-3-B-0-0-8MPa-Two-position-Solenoid/dp/B008ASXBB4)

Specs from the Amazon listing:

Product Name : Solenoid Valve;Model No. : DF2-3-B;Actuation Type : 2 Position 2 Way;Bore : M10x1 G1/8
Working Medium : Neutral gas, water, oil and technological vacuum;Type : Direct acting nomal close thread type;Aperture Of Flow Rate : 2mm 3mm
Working Pressure : 0-0.8MPa;Ambient Temperature : -20C~50C;Standard Voltage : AC 220V, 50/60Hz
Voltage Range : 85%-110%;Material : Aluminum, Zine alloy, Brass;Wire Length : 200mm / 7.87"
Overall Size : 33 x 33 x 56mm / 1.3" x 1.3" x 1.3"(L*W*H);Weight : 194g;Package Content : 1 x Solenoid Valve

Hope this helps you find a better replacement! :D

undercut
09-26-2012, 03:22 PM
I have the 40i hooked up on my cnc plasma. I cut two small parts out today in 1/8" aluminum and also 1/8" steel.. I then set up a piece of 5/16 plate and started to cut a 8"x2" shackle, torch fired fine for the first couple holes and actually cut pretty good, then the air would not shut off when the plasma shut off to move to the next hole so the plasma arc wouldnt fire at the next m3... I had this happen before and it seemed it was the spring in the air solenoid had got week...

I can take the cover off tomorrow and stretch the spring again, but evidently there's something not right with the spring if its getting that weak that quick..

I was also wanting to know the specs on the air solenoid as I might be able to get a nice Parker air solenoid for it.. I dont remember if there were specifications marked on the solenoid, seems like there wasn't..

Hey, Brucer. I tried to find the Parker replacement model number for your broken solenoid but there are just soooo many models that they carry! Since I'm no expert in this field, I think I've taken it about as far as I can .... sorry! :D

JolietJames
09-26-2012, 06:38 PM
Does it have to be that narrow?

brucer
09-27-2012, 01:37 PM
Does it have to be that narrow?

nope, theres quite a bit of room where its located.. I have a couple solenoids located on the internet and also my friend is looking for one where he works, they have a nice salvage area..

undercut
09-27-2012, 02:16 PM
Good to hear you have some good leads. Will be good to get that faulty solenoid out of there. Fortunately it was getting stuck in the open position as opposed to closing unexpectedly.

JolietJames
09-27-2012, 07:24 PM
If springs continue giving you problems and there is enough room you might try some Belleville washers in place of the spring.

undercut
09-27-2012, 07:31 PM
If springs continue giving you problems and there is enough room you might try some Belleville washers in place of the spring.

I never heard of those before so I looked them up .... Great idea!

brucer
09-27-2012, 07:32 PM

not enough room. i thought about drilling out the plunger so i could use a larger diameter spring.. then the problem is finding a spring that will work.. not many places around here have just springs, and if they do have them they are nowhere near small enough..

I would like to just put a better quality solenoid in so i wont have to mess with it anymore.. some solenoids can get fairly expensive pretty quick..

undercut
09-27-2012, 08:08 PM
.. some solenoids can get fairly expensive pretty quick..

You're not kidding. I figured that out pretty quick when I was looking for replacements for you!

shocwav3
11-30-2012, 11:49 AM

I am following this information closley, I have the same intermitent problem with my air not shutting off in my 50i. Its super frustrating and a permentant solution would be NICE!

Anthony

dbarnes
02-18-2013, 02:47 PM
I am following this information closley, I have the same intermitent problem with my air not shutting off in my 50i. Its super frustrating and a permentant solution would be NICE!

Anthony

has anyone come up with a solution or a suitable replacement solenoid for this problem? I have the same issue, stretched the spring, but don't want to rely on that as a fix. I have the 40i on a gantry kit and it's less than a year old, without much use, and problems already. Thanks!

Gadget
02-18-2013, 04:18 PM
Rather than stretching the spring why not see if you can find a slightly longer stiffer spring at the hardware store.

shocwav3
02-18-2013, 05:12 PM
has anyone come up with a solution or a suitable replacement solenoid for this problem? I have the same issue, stretched the spring, but don't want to rely on that as a fix. I have the 40i on a gantry kit and it's less than a year old, without much use, and problems already. Thanks!

Since I took some members suggestions and lowered my air entering the system I have not had any trouble. I am running between 45-55psi which is providing me with trouble free cuts.

Anthony

Cope
02-18-2013, 06:10 PM
Since I took some members suggestions and lowered my air entering the system I have not had any trouble. I am running between 45-55psi which is providing me with trouble free cuts.

Anthony

According to the owner's manual, you need 70-75PSI. How thick are you cutting?

shocwav3
02-18-2013, 08:04 PM
According to the owner's manual, you need 70-75PSI. How thick are you cutting?

Yup, that was where my numbers came from originally. They don't specify between cnc and manual, although there may be no difference...

Ive cut up to .500 with my 50i, no trouble.

I did take my torch completely apart and polish the moving parts to ensure smooth operation, which has given me much more predictable arc starts.
Previously I would get a no start situation that I tracked down to a sticky plunger in the torch. Since the psi to the head operates the plunger my polishing up the parts may make for
easier operation (less pressure required to move it).

undercut
02-19-2013, 12:13 AM
Yup, that was where my numbers came from originally. They don't specify between cnc and manual, although there may be no difference...

Ive cut up to .500 with my 50i, no trouble.

I did take my torch completely apart and polish the moving parts to ensure smooth operation, which has given me much more predictable arc starts.
Previously I would get a no start situation that I tracked down to a sticky plunger in the torch. Since the psi to the head operates the plunger my polishing up the parts may make for
easier operation (less pressure required to move it).

Just curious. What did you use to polish the parts with?

shocwav3
02-19-2013, 11:14 AM
Just curious. What did you use to polish the parts with?

Just cleaned them up with some De-buring tools and some fine sand paper.

undercut
02-20-2013, 12:12 AM
Just cleaned them up with some De-buring tools and some fine sand paper.

Hey, thanks. At some point I'll pick up a plasma cutter. Trying to pick up as much information as I can.

tigqk
02-26-2013, 01:17 AM
What you think is a spring problem may be an indication of a more serious problem, although it is entirely possible the wron spring got installed in the solenoid, I have had mine apart, their is a rubber seal on the bottom ho does that seat?I ould go to one of the jobber spring kits and get a stronger one.

undercut
02-27-2013, 12:38 AM
What you think is a spring problem may be an indication of a more serious problem, although it is entirely possible the wron spring got installed in the solenoid, I have had mine apart, their is a rubber seal on the bottom ho does that seat?I ould go to one of the jobber spring kits and get a stronger one.

Beginning to sound like a lot of maintenance work. Grinding wheel is not looking that bad to me anymore. I would still need to get a decent compressor.