PDA
View Full Version :

Attention new members.

Gadget
08-17-2012, 06:49 AM
I'm seeing a bunch of new members in the member list, welcome to all. Don't be shy guys, jump right in. Post a bit about yourself in the introduce yourself section so we can get to know you.
Dan

sharpcreation
08-17-2012, 02:01 PM
Howdy Newbies!!!

I know I'm always looking for ideas on how to do what I do better (which is a little bit of everything), what projects are you working on what have you done, and howed you figure out how to do it?

undercut
08-18-2012, 09:50 PM
Hmmm ... maybe the new members are lurking for a bit before they participate. That's OK. Hope you enjoy your stay anyway! :D

JolietJames
09-11-2012, 07:34 AM
I'm not a new member exactly but I will be working on the CJ again in the near future. The jeep will be moving to our house in AZ this fall so I need to get it done soon. I am converting it to full width axles and will be designing and building a new suspension system for the front. The rear will remain as is other than perhaps some new spring buckets. I will try to take some pics of the progress along the way. I've been away from the forum and out of the garage for quite a while and will need to practice my tig skills to get decent again. I will also be building an exo cage for my buddy's samurai and a rack for his Supreduty if I have time. It should be fun if I can get to it all. Hopefully there will be updates to follow.
-James

undercut
09-11-2012, 10:52 AM
I'm not a new member exactly but I will be working on the CJ again in the near future. The jeep will be moving to our house in AZ this fall so I need to get it done soon. I am converting it to full width axles and will be designing and building a new suspension system for the front. The rear will remain as is other than perhaps some new spring buckets. I will try to take some pics of the progress along the way. I've been away from the forum and out of the garage for quite a while and will need to practice my tig skills to get decent again. I will also be building an exo cage for my buddy's samurai and a rack for his Supreduty if I have time. It should be fun if I can get to it all. Hopefully there will be updates to follow.
-James

OK, now I know why you are so interested in upgrading to a bigger TIG welder! Always nice to have fun projects in the wings. Cheers!

JolietJames
09-11-2012, 11:28 AM
Yessir it sure is! I will also be welding for my soon to be small fab business once I have completed the move. I'm trying to get everythig I need to start now while I'm still making money at my current job than have to borrow later to start the biz. Thanks for reading.
-James

undercut
09-11-2012, 12:07 PM
Yessir it sure is! I will also be welding for my soon to be small fab business once I have completed the move. I'm trying to get everythig I need to start now while I'm still making money at my current job than have to borrow later to start the biz. Thanks for reading.
-James

Gets even more interesting as you go on. New business too! Smart move about making money to give yourself a kick-start. Welding machines are progressing by leaps and bounds. I can hardly keep up. For a business, you probably want to able to be flexible in what kind of work you can take (or not but usually when you start out you do). Keep your eyes peeled on the technology and keep your options open!

When I was first looking for a welder, I was adamant that I would only stick weld. Scarcely 4 months later, I now want to TIG weld to open up the projects I can do. Now I'm thinking a MIG unit would be useful. LOL Each process has its niche. Cheers!

JolietJames
09-11-2012, 07:38 PM
I hear you. I was a mig guy but now that I'm making roll cages and things I want the beauty of tig on my work.

undercut
09-11-2012, 08:03 PM
Now I just need the $$$ for an Argon tank, MIG and Plasma cutter and then I can get started ..... LOL :D

So much fun melting metal ....

JolietJames
09-16-2012, 10:54 AM
Yeah I'm always looking to add more metal working tools to my arsenal. I check craigslist almost daily for welders, a vertical bandsaw, hydraulic units, milling machines, etc.

undercut
09-16-2012, 01:00 PM
That picture you have of the CJ in action is pretty impressive! I also like that modification you made to that jack. I haven't been through Craigslist in a while. Need $$$! :D

JolietJames
09-16-2012, 10:07 PM
Thanks! Yeah I loan that jack out to friends all the time. Even if you are low on money you can shop craigslist. Many people prefer to barter or take partial trades. Everyone needs something!

undercut
09-16-2012, 10:24 PM
Thanks! Yeah I loan that jack out to friends all the time. Even if you are low on money you can shop craigslist. Many people prefer to barter or take partial trades. Everyone needs something!

Yeah .... problem is is that I'm a bit of an impulse buyer .... :D Always drooling over the tool that got away! LOL Cheers.

JolietJames
09-17-2012, 08:54 PM
I'm the same way with jeep parts. I once was offered a super deal on an axle but didn't have the money. Never again! I always have a little something set aside for killer deals of any kind these days. That is, as long as the wife doesn't doesn't find out about it...

undercut
09-17-2012, 09:07 PM
I'm the same way with jeep parts. I once was offered a super deal on an axle but didn't have the money. Never again! I always have a little something set aside for killer deals of any kind these days. That is, as long as the wife doesn't doesn't find out about it...

Good idea (including that part about the wife). Keeping a little powder dry is always a good idea (for most people). I'd keep dipping into the pot though .... LOL. :D

JolietJames
09-18-2012, 11:14 AM
I'd keep dipping into the pot though .... LOL. :D

Yes, that is difficult!

undercut
09-18-2012, 11:40 AM
Yes, that is difficult!

I've really gotta stop visiting Harbor Freight and looking at their ads. Some of their stuff is pure junk but there are some stuff there aimed at the hobbyist / occasional user that can be had a reasonable price when on sale ... Unfortunately, they have way too much selection and my eyes are bigger than my budget .... hehe.

JolietJames
09-18-2012, 07:48 PM
Yeah I get angle grinders, some abrasives, and spare sockets and hand tools from them. They have nice assortments of wire and bottle brushes that are nice to have around too. I've heard great things about their impact sockets from multiple people too. I only buy their angle grinders when they're on super sale for 10-12 bucks. They're as good as the Ingersolls we have at work and cheap enough to have a tool for every attachment which saves changing time.

87slosohc
09-18-2012, 08:26 PM
I some how end up there every weekend after payday and end up walking around for an hour. Feel like I have to buy something everytime but usually walk out with another set of locking c clamps or a pack of cut off wheels.

I have one of the drill master grinders(normally $15 or go on sale for $10 sometimes), leaves a lot to be desired after using my other 7.5a+ grinders. Will say that I'm surprised its still going though, its currently on wire brush duty.

undercut
09-18-2012, 08:27 PM
They have dollar days on right now. (Yes, I broke down and looked). Money is tight but so is time. I'll probably pick up another C clamp and grinder. Taking too much time for me to setup and changing from grinding to cutting.

87slosohc
09-18-2012, 08:39 PM
They have dollar days on right now. (Yes, I broke down and looked). Money is tight but so is time. I'll probably pick up another C clamp and grinder. Taking too much time for me to setup and changing from grinding to cutting.

I'm up to 4 angle grinders at the welding table now, so much faster just grabbing one and going instead of changing wheels every time I need to use it. Currently have one setup for flap disc, cut off, wire brush and a 7" grinder wheel. Only pain is trying to keep the cords from getting tangled when 2 or more are plugged in.

Anyone know of a budget power strip that can handle being mounted under a welding table?

BucketObolts
09-18-2012, 10:24 PM
I'm up to 4 angle grinders at the welding table now, so much faster just grabbing one and going instead of changing wheels every time I need to use it. Currently have one setup for flap disc, cut off, wire brush and a 7" grinder wheel. Only pain is trying to keep the cords from getting tangled when 2 or more are plugged in.

Anyone know of a budget power strip that can handle being mounted under a welding table?

I run a few grinders too. This is what I use for a power strip, nothing fancy.
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c331/FourbangerYJ/Welding%20table/weldtable017.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c331/FourbangerYJ/Welding%20table/weldtable014.jpg

undercut
09-18-2012, 10:29 PM
That's pretty much what I'm thinking about. Picking up an inexpensive power bar and strapping it to my cart. I definitely agree about the cord management issue. Personally, I'm hoping to stick to only two grinders. Don't want to invest too much at the moment. We'll see if this strategy sticks ....

JolietJames
09-19-2012, 09:25 AM
I don't buy their electric stuff except for a half inch drill for the house. Limited and light use only and only if the price is hella cheap. The angle grinders I buy are the air tools that run really cheap a couple times a year. I've used their electric grinder but it's junk compared to my Milwaukee.

undercut
09-19-2012, 10:56 AM
My compressor is a tiny one and not very convenient to use. Neither makes a case for me to invest in air powered tools.

I've heard some horror stories (and reviews) about their electric angle grinder but it was really cheap with coupon and I'll be using it with a very light duty cycle and only for cutting smaller pieces of metal. I've already noticed that the construction seems to have addressed some of the components that the reviewers were complaining about. Funny how their "heavy duty" grinder is only rated 4 amps.

Fingers crossed!!

87slosohc
09-19-2012, 11:38 AM
I've never tried the hf heavy duty grinder(red or orange), Do have the black one though. First thing I did was pop open the gear covers, removed the ear wax looking grease and replaced it with mobil 1 grease. Currently I have two milwaukee's(4.5", 9"), a ryobi 4.5" and the black hf 4.5". I bought the hf grinder when I first got back into welding but now its the last one I pick to use. I've also been replacing the flanged nuts with milwaukee flanged nuts so I only need one spanner wrench for all of them except the 9".

Older pic of how I hung them off my table before adding the 1/4" top and ryobi grinder.

undercut
09-19-2012, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the pic. I need to figure out how I want to store my grinders and stuff too. That pic gave me some ideas.

Yeah, I only turned on the grinder to ensure it wasn't dead-on-arrival and then immediately replaced the grease.

I'll say this much, after using it for a while, I'm happy it didn't self destruct so I think I'll get my money's worth but it sure doesn't make good use of the purported 4A. It spins at 11K so there really isn't much torque. Good thing I'm only using it for cutting with a thin kerf wheel.

JolietJames
09-19-2012, 12:33 PM
I like that big mamba jamba in the pic. I could use that fosho.

undercut
09-19-2012, 12:45 PM
That is a BEAST. Not sure I could make use of it. Heck, I was seriously looking at a 7" grinder that was on sale for a really good price. Even with my weakness for buying tools, I still wasn't able to convince myself I would actually use it for anything. LOL ....

JolietJames
09-19-2012, 12:52 PM
I work with plate often and that thing would make quick work of cleaning up the edges.

87slosohc
09-19-2012, 01:37 PM
It mostly gets used for jobs that would take forever with a 4.5" or angles where a 4.5" cant reach.

undercut- heres another angle grinder mount for more ideas
Grinder Wall Mounts (http://www.swagoffroad.com/Grinder-Wall-Mounts_p_47.html)

undercut
09-19-2012, 01:49 PM
Yeah, I can see that working very well for what you do.

I like 87slosohc's idea about replacing the flange nuts to allow for use of only one spanner. I've only got the two grinders at the moment but even with two, having one universal spanner would be handy. Going to need to look into this.

undercut
09-19-2012, 01:51 PM
It mostly gets used for jobs that would take forever with a 4.5" or angles where a 4.5" cant reach.

undercut- heres another angle grinder mount for more ideas
Grinder Wall Mounts (http://www.swagoffroad.com/Grinder-Wall-Mounts_p_47.html)

Definitely gives me some ideas. Not too keen on the price. Easy enough to make something that would hold more than one, though. Thanks!

87slosohc
09-19-2012, 02:01 PM
definitely, Mine is just a piece of 1/8" flat stock. The milwaukee with the quick adjustable guard is a little tight but helps keep it from moving when I wheel the table around.

undercut
09-19-2012, 02:24 PM
definitely, Mine is just a piece of 1/8" flat stock. The milwaukee with the quick adjustable guard is a little tight but helps keep it from moving when I wheel the table around.

I was thinking about doing exactly what you are doing with the 1/8" flat stock. Will need to take everything off of my cart to add these in. Good opportunity to finish things off and get it painted while I'm at it.

poodle
09-19-2012, 03:32 PM
87slosohc I like the way you wrap your cords. I roll mine loose like that also. The grinder at work everyone uses and they always wrap the cord around the grinder so tight that the cords wont last any time. Running one of those giant beast will make a better torch hand out of you. You will learn to make smooth cuts just to not have to run the thing. By the way you have a name to with that 87slosohc handle?

undercut
09-19-2012, 04:20 PM
Always nice to converse with people who take care of their tools! :D

I hate it when people wrap their cords tightly, yank them out of the socket by the wire, let the cord have tight kinks in them. Makes me shiver just thinking about it ....

Should have a power bar strapped to my cart either this week or next. No more unplugging and plugging. Yes! :D

87slosohc
09-19-2012, 04:31 PM
The grinder cords at work get wrapped just like yours also. I pay for mine at home so they get treated a little better.

The 9" grinder(7" discs) isn't that bad to use, I used to be a heavy equipment mechanic and would rather use the grinder over having to use a 1" air impact every day lol.

The names Tyler

undercut
09-19-2012, 04:40 PM
Well welcome, Tyler. Lot easier to spell and pronounce than 87slosohc .... LOL

After seeing the 9" grinder, I'm rethinking my need for a 7" grinder. Back to my old bad habits again! :D

87slosohc
09-19-2012, 04:53 PM
It stands for my 87 single overhead cam 4runner project that is slow lol, my other s/n I use on a local forum that most people miss understand right away is failedabortion...

It does come in hand incessant in a while like I said for corners where a 4.5" grinder can't reach or grinding bigger area's. Just let the weight of the grinder do the work for you.

undercut
09-19-2012, 04:59 PM
It stands for my 87 single overhead cam 4runner project that is slow lol,

LOL. I get it now! :D Funny how I didn't pick out the SOHC part of it.

my other s/n I use on a local forum that most people miss understand right away is failedabortion...

Gee, wonder why. I won't ask.

It does come in hand incessant in a while like I said for corners where a 4.5" grinder can't reach or grinding bigger area's. Just let the weight of the grinder do the work for you.

That must pull close to 14A. It's bigger than the 7" grinder I was looking at it and it was pulling 11A. Gosh that 7" grinder is beginning to look good to me now. If you don't mind me asking, where do you get your grinding, cutting disks for that 9" grinder?

87slosohc
09-19-2012, 05:15 PM
Lol that s/n was more of a joke, put your two most used words together...they were mostly used in a ghetto fab thread.

I use 7" wheels on the 9" grinder, I believe it is rated at 15a also.
DEWALT 7" x 1/4" x 5/8"-11 General Purpose Metal Grinding Wheel (http://www.wylaco.com/abrasives/abrasives-grinder/grinding-wheels/DEWALT-DW4999-7-Inch-x-1-4-Inch-x-5-8-Inch-11-General-Purpose-Metal-Grinding-Wheel)

undercut
09-19-2012, 06:00 PM
OK, I get it now.

Thanks for the link.

poodle
09-19-2012, 06:48 PM
Tyler is a lot easier to spell. I have a 7" and when you need to remove some iron that thing will do it. My favorite is a 5" Makita.

JolietJames
09-19-2012, 06:58 PM
I love the ghetto fab/hack jobs thread! Yeah "abortion" is used a lot there for sure.

87slosohc
09-19-2012, 08:39 PM
I love the ghetto fab/hack jobs thread! Yeah "abortion" is used a lot there for sure.

Were you there when a member had some guy sexually harrasing his gf/wife over the internet and someone taped a picture of him to his apartment door?

If a mod has the ability to change s/n's they can change mine to simply "Tyler" if its available since its easier to pronounce than my current one.

JolietJames
09-19-2012, 09:09 PM
No, I didn't see that. I'm never caught up on those threads like ghetto fab and fail. I always start somewhere in the middle and check out a few pages but never catch up to the current posts. I'm probably a year behind.

poodle
09-19-2012, 09:20 PM
Don't change it just put Tyler on your signature line.

undercut
09-19-2012, 10:35 PM
Some of THE scariest creations documented in that forum. Haven't been there in a while, myself.

87slosohc
09-19-2012, 10:47 PM
No, I didn't see that. I'm never caught up on those threads like ghetto fab and fail. I always start somewhere in the middle and check out a few pages but never catch up to the current posts. I'm probably a year behind.

It was a separate thread in chit chat I think in 06, anyways I taped the guys picture to his door and another member in town for work(this was in phx) drove the get away car. Guy ended up calling the cops and turning himself in...anyways if you ever see a post talking about taping a picture someones door you know the back story to it lol.

Don't change it just put Tyler on your signature line.

Will do when I get home to a pc.

Some of THE scariest creations documented in that forum. Haven't been there in a while, myself.

Scary in a bad way? Not sure of there a pretty weld thread on this forum but here's one that's on pirate. *Offical Pretty weld thread* - Pirate4x4.Com (http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=835131)

undercut
09-19-2012, 10:57 PM
Not sure of there a pretty weld thread on this forum but here's one that's on pirate.

Some really nice welds there. The ghetto fab hack jobs makes the hair on my arms stand up on end.

87slosohc
09-19-2012, 11:16 PM
Lol ya I know what you mean, there quite a few threads specifically for that. On an az Honda forum we have a whole thread dedicated to one person who is constantly creating hack work and calls everyone who tries to give him criticism a hater.

87slosohc
09-19-2012, 11:22 PM
On the topic of pretty welds, the background on my phone for motivation. Don't know who's work it is or I would give them credit.

undercut
09-19-2012, 11:30 PM
On the topic of pretty welds, the background on my phone for motivation. Don't know who's work it is or I would give them credit.

Man. Someone who really takes a professional interest in their work. Fantastic fabrication and welding.

JolietJames
09-20-2012, 05:57 AM
I've been through the pretty weld thread a few times over the years. If you weren't a member of that board you would never guess the there is that much talent in the forum. Some of the work is just amazing. BTW anyone who calls anyone a hater needs to die. People on every forum pull that crap. State your opinion. Accept agreement and mutual back slaps. Call anyone with a different opinion/point of view a hater. I can't stand having to call people out on that BS. We're lucky on this board -no dicks.

undercut
09-20-2012, 10:19 AM
I've been through the pretty weld thread a few times over the years. If you weren't a member of that board you would never guess the there is that much talent in the forum. Some of the work is just amazing. BTW anyone who calls anyone a hater needs to die. People on every forum pull that crap. State your opinion. Accept agreement and mutual back slaps. Call anyone with a different opinion/point of view a hater. I can't stand having to call people out on that BS. We're lucky on this board -no dicks.

Yeah, very lucky on this board. Not too many like it. There are some boards I won't even touch because of the welder bigotry that's there ....

JolietJames
09-20-2012, 11:54 AM
Bigotry? Oh you mean brand bigotry? Haha for sure. Hey I was a skeptic too. If I knew I was gonna like this welder as much as I do I would have bought a bigger more expensive one in the beginning. Friends who have tried using mine like it. No regrets.

undercut
09-20-2012, 12:40 PM
Yes, I guess brand bigotry is a much more accurate term. Sometimes you gotta try the water before leaping. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

roberts56
10-04-2012, 03:00 AM
Hmmm ... maybe the new members are lurking for a bit before they participate. That's OK. Hope you enjoy your stay anyway! :D

Well I guess you are very right there, but in my case its a different thing, now I just can't remember how I stumbled upon this forum while browsing the net but in my case I just started reading some very interesting post by some members here and immediately decided I want to be part of this forum where perhaps I can share somethings too and likewise learn from the veterans here regarding Mig, Tig, or Oxy-Ace welding processes since what I have are only machines for stick welding. Plus perhaps I could make new friends here who shares the same passion for welding and metal working.

JolietJames
10-04-2012, 07:45 AM
I do believe you are in the right place Robert.
-James

undercut
10-04-2012, 10:57 AM
Hi and welcome to the forum!