PDA
View Full Version :

CNC belt drive

KHK
08-15-2012, 04:38 PM
All things considered the belts are working great. I was spraying WD40 while the milling was being done. The WD40 made the AL chips stick to everything. I placed the cardboard around the CNC to try to keep the chips off the floor.

Hard to tell, the vise in the picture is green. It had about 1/2 in of AL on it.

Debris caused this switch to fail. I had to clean it repeatedly.

As you can see the AL chips were all over, the belts were not cleaned at all.

undercut
08-15-2012, 04:51 PM
Wow, what a mess to clean up! Other than that switch, it seems the design is pretty durable. Maybe have a shop vac directed to catch at least some of the chips? I notice a lot of industrial machines covering some of their moving bits with plastic sleeves. That also might help keep the chips off of the moving parts.

WookieWelding
08-15-2012, 05:51 PM
set up compressed air to cool your end mill will also blow the chips in one direction kinda

Gadget
08-15-2012, 06:04 PM
I have a hood and vacuum attached to mine, it keeps things nice and tidy.

brucer
08-15-2012, 06:41 PM
Go with what wookiewelding said, if your using solid carbide or inserted carbide tooling just use compressed air, it doesnt even have to be high pressure, just enough to blow chips away from cutter so your not recutting chips.. you want the air to be dry like you would use for plasma cutting...

Masseyman
08-15-2012, 08:26 PM
Keith, looks great! I was browsing your photo's in your gallery and noticed it folds up and hangs on the garage/shop wall. That is awesome!

undercut
08-15-2012, 09:55 PM
set up compressed air to cool your end mill will also blow the chips in one direction kinda

That's a great idea. Keep things cool and blow the chips somewhere where they won't cause any trouble like towards a shop vac or into a drop bin.

Sparkie
08-16-2012, 12:00 PM
...Maybe a shop vac mounted at the tool, like a wood working setup. Also maybe you can post a picture of your router bit.
Chip control, lube and rpm's are very importent.

Masseyman
08-17-2012, 12:56 PM
Keith, thanks for the pics of the Z axis!

Did you purchase the linear bearing or make it?
Also, The flat bar that it slides on, same question.

Thanks for taking the time to do that.