PDA
View Full Version :

1998 Trans Am..

brucer
07-26-2012, 10:13 AM
can you say "Bright Red"

This was the typical bone stock 1998 Trans Am.. unmolested, not wrecked, Loaded, dark grey leather interior..

brucer
07-26-2012, 10:19 AM
these pictures are taken randomly throughout the entire process...
It had the GM clear coat peel, so we took it all the way down to color and resealed it with epoxy primer, PPG color, Nason Clear..
car has not been color sanded and buffed in any of the pictures...

Ryantowry81
07-26-2012, 10:25 AM
looks good! my dad had a 200 camaro and that thing was a rocket even stock, not my favorite body of camaro for looks but she shure drove nice and had great MPG if you could keep you foot out of it.

brucer
07-26-2012, 10:28 AM
He suppose to paint the wing, mirrors, side skirts, and front bumper filler this weekend... I'll post more pics as more parts get painted and definitely pics with it all color sanded and buffed and assembled..

and the last 2 pics showing reflection, cant wait to see it sanded and buffed, should be very slick..

undercut
07-26-2012, 11:18 AM
What a transformation a nice coat of paint makes. Going to love to see it without all of the masking in place and with the bumper on. Really nice ride!

Ryantowry81
07-26-2012, 12:37 PM
He suppose to paint the wing, mirrors, side skirts, and front bumper filler this weekend... I'll post more pics as more parts get painted and definitely pics with it all color sanded and buffed and assembled..

and the last 2 pics showing reflection, cant wait to see it sanded and buffed, should be very slick..

got to love florecent lights...those things show every imperfection! last two pictures the lights show the slight orange peel that i bet would not stand out in normal daylight.

cant wait to see the finished product after wetsand and polishing.

undercut
07-26-2012, 01:40 PM
got to love florecent lights...those things show every imperfection! last two pictures the lights show the slight orange peel that i bet would not stand out in normal daylight.

cant wait to see the finished product after wetsand and polishing.

Should look fantastic in the sunlight. That's a really nice shade of red, too. Was a clearcoat applied?

brucer
07-26-2012, 05:00 PM
Should look fantastic in the sunlight. That's a really nice shade of red, too. Was a clearcoat applied?

yep, 3 coats.. still needs colorsanding and buffing..

undercut
07-26-2012, 05:27 PM
yep, 3 coats.. still needs colorsanding and buffing.. Yeah, I figured. The color looked too rich not to have at least one clear coat on there. Very nice!

brucer
08-03-2012, 01:22 PM
Some shot's of my friends Yogi and Manny color sanding, buffing and glazing..

I'll get some pictures today in the daylight.. The more I look at it painted the more I like it.. I might end up keeping it, I dont know yet..

Gadget
08-03-2012, 01:32 PM
You have real beauty there, it's a great paint job and color.

undercut
08-03-2012, 01:41 PM
Some shot's of my friends Yogi and Manny color sanding, buffing and glazing..

I'll get some pictures today in the daylight.. The more I look at it painted the more I like it.. I might end up keeping it, I dont know yet..

I don't blame you for thinking twice about selling it - it's definitely a nice ride. It all depends on how much you think it would fetch, how much you would value keeping it and how long you think you might keep it. Makes for a great project, though, and you're taking some good pictures of the process and the final product.

brucer
08-03-2012, 08:14 PM
stopped by my friends shop today and got a shot of the car in the day light...

the nose is just clipped on with a couple clips for now, havent bolted it down yet, theres a reason for it, I'll tell you a secret later on..

hope these are the correct pics, they should be the ones after buffing, but not glazed yet.. Thats my black 2004 dodge ram behind the TA..
Well, lets see what the pics look like..

undercut
08-03-2012, 08:31 PM
You know you shouldn't tease people! :D Now you've got us all guessing what the big secret is. Torpedoes for people who drive too slow? ;)

tigqk
08-04-2012, 01:56 AM
Where did you spray it in an area of the shop Wetted down or in a both?I recently did a hail damage job, looked liked someonE shot it With a shotgun their as so many dents, about six days of bodywork and prep straight, then the painter painted it in a down darft booth and had to repaint it,(Dirt) sometimes you have no choice but to colorsand and and glaze.
Looks good

KHK
08-04-2012, 10:39 AM
Very very very nice!!

undercut
08-04-2012, 12:27 PM
Where did you spray it in an area of the shop Wetted down or in a both?I recently did a hail damage job, looked liked someonE shot it With a shotgun their as so many dents, about six days of bodywork and prep straight, then the painter painted it in a down darft booth and had to repaint it,(Dirt) sometimes you have no choice but to colorsand and and glaze.
Looks good

Must have been some hail storm. They common in your area of Alberta?

It still amazes the transformation that can be accomplished with a nice, clean, well painted car and nice rims.

brucer
08-05-2012, 12:06 AM
Looks good

he has a home made side draft booth, basically a couple of vents ran down each side of the bay with a big squirrel cage fan to suck fumes out, he also has it double filtered on the inlet and outlet..

I asked him why he didnt have a down draft booth myself, he said he doesnt like them because they can pull dirt into the paint.. before he painted my car he cleaned the booth the day before, the next day he sprayed the walls and floor down, then pulled the car in wiped it down with laquer thinner then cheese cloth, then started shooting. I think it turned out pretty darn good, there was some dirt in it here and there of course but after colorsanding and buffing its all gone... The shine is very deep in it now, those last couple pictures i took with my reflection in the paint, after colorsanding and buffing its about 3 times better now...

and boy is it red ;)

he did put 2 little chips on the passenger side door that have to be fixed, small chips when he was putting the window felt/seals on the doors, one of the little metal clips chipped the paint twice.. hes going to mix up a small amount of clear and add the base color to it and dab it in the chips then wet sand and buff the 2 litttle spots, they are about the size of the big end of a needle..

undercut
08-05-2012, 12:18 AM
he has a home made side draft booth, basically a couple of vents ran down each side of the bay with a big squirrel cage fan to suck fumes out, he also has it double filtered on the inlet and outlet..

I asked him why he didnt have a down draft booth myself, he said he doesnt like them because they can pull dirt into the paint.. before he painted my car he cleaned the booth the day before, the next day he sprayed the walls and floor down, then pulled the car in wiped it down with laquer thinner then cheese cloth, then started shooting. I think it turned out pretty darn good, there was some dirt in it here and there of course but after colorsanding and buffing its all gone... The shine is very deep in it now, those last couple pictures i took with my reflection in the paint, after colorsanding and buffing its about 3 times better now...

and boy is it red ;)

he did put 2 little chips on the passenger side door that have to be fixed, small chips when he was putting the window felt/seals on the doors, one of the little metal clips chipped the paint twice.. hes going to mix up a small amount of clear and add the base color to it and dab it in the chips then wet sand and buff the 2 litttle spots, they are about the size of the big end of a needle..

Nice! Might as well get some of that paint in a bottle in case you need to touch up in the future. Saw that you posted to this thread and thought you were going to let us in on that secret now .... :D

brucer
08-05-2012, 12:30 AM
I'll let the cat out of the bag..
I went and picked up a high mileage 6.0 liter lq4 iron block engine today..

It needs to be rebuilt, but it should be worth about 400hp with the heads off my ls1 engine and a $100 ls6 camshaft.. I might keep the heads off the 6.0 engine because they have a bigger combustion chamber than the ls1 heads and would be good to swap on for a supercharger or turbo engine later on... I paid $400 for the 6.0 engine, I'm going to pull the ls1, and sell the ls1 shortblock and build the 6.0 engine with that money.. (converter, gears, cam, valve springs yada yada yada).

I also weighed another option, I could easily turn a profit on the lq4 engine and leave the ls1 in the car and just drive it, sell the car... I wouldnt mind selling it and building up a nice chunk of change and start looking for a little prototrak lathe and or small mid 90's cnc mill and or a big plasma cutter.

I guess it's just another damn toy that I dont need..

undercut
08-06-2012, 12:47 AM

It needs to be rebuilt, but it should be worth about 400hp with the heads off my ls1 engine and a $100 ls6 camshaft.. I might keep the heads off the 6.0 engine because they have a bigger combustion chamber than the ls1 heads and would be good to swap on for a supercharger or turbo engine later on... I paid $400 for the 6.0 engine, I'm going to pull the ls1, and sell the ls1 shortblock and build the 6.0 engine with that money.. (converter, gears, cam, valve springs yada yada yada).

I also weighed another option, I could easily turn a profit on the lq4 engine and leave the ls1 in the car and just drive it, sell the car... I wouldnt mind selling it and building up a nice chunk of change and start looking for a little prototrak lathe and or small mid 90's cnc mill and or a big plasma cutter.

I guess it's just another damn toy that I dont need..

That's a mighty big secret! Decisions, decisions, decisions. Unlike some of mine lately, looks like you would come out a winner (more or less) with any of the options you laid out. Toys are OK as long as they aren't huge money pits. Cheers!

tigqk
08-07-2012, 01:05 AM
Why don't you put a sign on the window and entertain offers and go from their.I quess you gotta look at it from an economical side if you decide not to keep it is the amount of effort in an engine change going to get you the return for your effort.
The paint work looks great and it shows where good prepping and care masking in dust and being clean right down to what you wear can make a difference that fancy equipment cant.

undercut
08-07-2012, 01:32 AM
Why don't you put a sign on the window and entertain offers and go from their.I quess you gotta look at it from an economical side if you decide not to keep it is the amount of effort in an engine change going to get you the return for your effort.
The paint work looks great and it shows where good prepping and care masking in dust and being clean right down to what you wear can make a difference that fancy equipment cant.

That's a great idea. You never know. It might fetch a lot more than you are thinking and that might make your decision a lot easier .....

Nick
09-10-2012, 09:09 PM
This was the typical bone stock 1998 Trans Am.. unmolested, not wrecked, Loaded, dark grey leather interior..

:crank You serious? Where on earth can I find one of those that didn't belong to a middle aged female school teacher and actually got proper maintenance? Around here "Stock" and F-Bodies go together as well as the concept of a Honda as a passenger car and not being a massively loud, slow, annoying wannabe race car. :lol:

Looks like you had a great shoot. Looking forward to seeing it smooth as glass. ^_^

Just throwing this out here, and it could be camera angles... When did it get rear ended? (Might just be the rear plastic in need of final fitting - as everything should be after a fresh coat of paint. ^_^)

That's my boy. :D

Sell this one, build your lq4 to 8:1, and put it into the next one with a whiny little toy on top. :clap

In truth, sell both. If you're in a spot to make money, make it. Especially if it's for tools that may potentially help with the making of more money. ;) That Ram'll do in terms of toys for now. Less tickets, less gas, less insurance.