PDA
View Full Version :

Torch Mate reviews or opinions?

mikelleen
06-28-2012, 04:31 PM
I'm thinking of buying a Torch Mate system, and am wondering if I could get some reviews on their systems?

I plan on doing some production work as a sub contractor for some local fab shops without this type of equipment.

I uses to run CNC mills, but it's been over 15 years since I have done that kind of work.

Any help would be appreciated.

brucer
06-28-2012, 07:58 PM
I've just seen videos of the torchmate machines.... I know torchmate is a large company now owned by Lincoln Electric and the plasma tables are expensive.... they are suppose to have excellent support.....

I would look at Trucut cnc out of Tennessee, they have some nice clean looking machines, might be worth looking into...

next I would look at plasmacam machines, I've heard good things of them also, they seem like they are built a little lightweight though and again, expensive..

Xalky
06-29-2012, 01:14 PM
A lot of guys love the plasmacam machines. I think the torchmates are a little pricey for what you get. You could also build your own if you feel up to it. There are quite a few guys here, including myself. No matter what you decide, it ain't cheap to buy or build a reliable plasma table.

mikelleen
06-29-2012, 04:26 PM
I'm wondering about the cost difference between a home built and torch mate as well....?

brucer
06-29-2012, 07:14 PM
I'm wondering about the cost difference between a home built and torch mate as well....?

It will depend on how well your home shop is tooled up (machinery,welder, hand tools) also how good your material sources are, also figure in available time for a project..

also table size will have a direct impact..

SICFabrications
06-30-2012, 01:08 PM
i have a 5x10 torchmate... bought the diy kit, so they supplied the robotics, tracks, gears, g-code processor and the drafting software... i would not have done anything different other then maybe build the gantry from aluminum instead of steel... after pricing the competition (plasmacam, trucut, etc...) i found the torchmate to have the best and i mean best tech help and were average 2 to 5 grand cheaper for a built it your self kit. i have 22 grand tied up in mine, however, that is with making the table and gantry much heavier than required, making the metal bed on tracks and casters (so to make it easier to load and unload) also, went with a big thermadyne cutter, national robotics tip voltage height controller (much more reliable and better than digital controllers) and fully enclosed computer table (to keep metal dust outta the pc and processor) basically, i made it a super table. the koike equivalent table costs roughly 150 grand. i have lathe, mill, and a buddy has a laser table and thats what i used to make my parts with... i have a thread on here about the table, but dont remember what its called... i'll see if i can find it and post a link

SICFabrications
06-30-2012, 01:09 PM
http://www.longevity-inc.com/forum/welding-projects-pictures/3475-my-turn-cnc-machine-build-thread-sic-fab-style.html

undercut
06-30-2012, 01:11 PM
i have a 5x10 torchmate... bought the diy kit, so they supplied the robotics, tracks, gears, g-code processor and the drafting software... i would not have done anything different other then maybe build the gantry from aluminum instead of steel... after pricing the competition (plasmacam, trucut, etc...) i found the torchmate to have the best and i mean best tech help and were average 2 to 5 grand cheaper for a built it your self kit. i have 22 grand tied up in mine, however, that is with making the table and gantry much heavier than required, making the metal bed on tracks and casters (so to make it easier to load and unload) also, went with a big thermadyne cutter, national robotics tip voltage height controller (much more reliable and better than digital controllers) and fully enclosed computer table (to keep metal dust outta the pc and processor) basically, i made it a super table. the koike equivalent table costs roughly 150 grand. i have lathe, mill, and a buddy has a laser table and thats what i used to make my parts with... i have a thread on here about the table, but dont remember what its called... i'll see if i can find it and post a link Would love to see some pictures of this super table .... sounds like you put quite a bit of thought into it before jumping into the building of it.

SICFabrications
06-30-2012, 01:19 PM
here are some more shots of the machine... notice the rolling table bed? that way i can load n unload the table with a forklift on the bed itself isnstead of trying to load in over the guide rails of the table itself

undercut
06-30-2012, 01:28 PM
here are some more shots of the machine... notice the rolling table bed? that way i can load n unload the table with a forklift on the bed itself isnstead of trying to load in over the guide rails of the table itself That's a really nice looking setup ... and the table size is HUGE! How much time do you figure before that baby pays for itself? Gosh, if I had the money, I think I'd buy one just to admire it .... ;)

SICFabrications
06-30-2012, 06:07 PM
it paid for itself within the first week. first job we used it for was the job we bought it to do was the concrete molds. close to a quarter million dollar job... there is a thread about the molds as well... search my started threads

undercut
06-30-2012, 06:19 PM
it paid for itself within the first week. first job we used it for was the job we bought it to do was the concrete molds. close to a quarter million dollar job... there is a thread about the molds as well... search my started threads Nice ROI! I saw the concrete molds - either on your website or in one of the threads but I don't think it was the primary thread. I'll look for it.

SICFabrications
06-30-2012, 08:07 PM
http://www.longevity-inc.com/forum/welding-projects-pictures/3476-my-latest-project-sic-fab-our-biggest-job-date.html

undercut
06-30-2012, 10:26 PM
http://www.longevity-inc.com/forum/welding-projects-pictures/3476-my-latest-project-sic-fab-our-biggest-job-date.html That's pretty cool. I like the part about the 800 ton break .... Nothing small about that project. If I interpreted the pictures correctly, the sides are held in place by the bolts that tighten them to the sides of the molds, right? How long for the patent to get approved? Would be nice to have this setup go national or international.

Xalky
06-30-2012, 11:08 PM
Wow, thats some heavy iron. You need big stuff just to move that big stuff around...LOL

acourtjester
07-01-2012, 09:35 AM
Great pictures SICF as with all projects seeing how someone did theirs and why help if you want to incorporate things into yours.
You defiantly have a production table that fits your need and business. The old saying you need the tools and the ability to use them to be successful.

have fun
Tom

undercut
07-01-2012, 10:27 AM
Tom is absolutely correct, success will come a lot easier to the person(s) with the right tools and skills. A couple of other things that help are space and contacts. For a job that big, the customer must be confident in your work and that you have the "operation size" to do the work. SIC F, just curious, did the customers come to you or were you a participant in a bid?

SICFabrications
07-01-2012, 10:12 PM
They came to me. I had done work for them in the past, they like our work, and use us exclusively for ALL their welding and fabrication needs.

SICFabrications
07-01-2012, 10:15 PM
Also, the patents (which take for flippin ever) is still pending. You are incorrect about bolts holding the sides. I kept a lot of the pics of the molds out just because they are too revealing on how it works until the patents are approved. Also have an application for another patent out, this one let's a repo man snatch a motorbike by himself in less than 60 seconds and it touches nothing but the triple tree and front tire.

undercut
07-01-2012, 10:43 PM
Also, the patents (which take for flippin ever) is still pending. You are incorrect about bolts holding the sides. I kept a lot of the pics of the molds out just because they are too revealing on how it works until the patents are approved. Also have an application for another patent out, this one let's a repo man snatch a motorbike by himself in less than 60 seconds and it touches nothing but the triple tree and front tire. Yeah, sorry. Shouldn't ask too many questions when things are still pending. Patents are a hot item. Bought, sold and traded regularly. Some companies exist solely to sit on patents ... waiting to catch on infringement. That repo one sounds like a winner. Good luck with the process.