PDA
View Full Version :

Multiprocess v. tig only?

mountain eagle
06-17-2012, 03:29 PM
I'm likely going to get a TIG in the (hopefully) nearish future. In looking at the various Longevity offerings I find myself at a loss as to what to get. The most likely is the tigweld250, need to be able to do non-steel and that is a good power range for my needs. But then I look at the weldall250pi and see that it's only a hundred more for a 50i basically built in. Now I already have a 50i but the question remains.....

Why buy a TIG only versus a Multifunction unit. What are the practical differences for the one man shop type of use?

I should note I plan on using a cooler with any unit I get too. And it's not that likely that I'll need the stick function much if at all.

Kevin Caron
06-17-2012, 03:38 PM
I have always thought that with a muilti unit that there was just that much more to go wrong. And if this part goes bad will the whole unit stop working or just that part of the whole.

Had a scanner, fax, printer unit in my office and that is what happened there. One side quit and the rest went with it.

I would vote for TIG only.. Just my 2 cents worth....

WookieWelding
06-17-2012, 04:09 PM
I would go stand alone tig and if you need plasma get a stand alone plasma

undercut
06-17-2012, 04:16 PM
I'm generally with Kevin and Wookie. I don't like multi-process anything because there is more to go wrong. But then again, the difference isn't that much but that begs the question, will you be sacrificing any TIG functionality - are the TIG features of the multi exactly like the Tigweld 250?

arandall
06-17-2012, 04:42 PM
Another issue is shop space. One benefit of the Multi-purpose unit is that it everything fits on one cart.

Xalky
06-17-2012, 05:50 PM
I'm likely going to get a TIG in the (hopefully) nearish future. In looking at the various Longevity offerings I find myself at a loss as to what to get. The most likely is the tigweld250, need to be able to do non-steel and that is a good power range for my needs. But then I look at the weldall250pi and see that it's only a hundred more for a 50i basically built in. Now I already have a 50i but the question remains.....

Why buy a TIG only versus a Multifunction unit. What are the practical differences for the one man shop type of use?

I should note I plan on using a cooler with any unit I get too. And it's not that likely that I'll need the stick function much if at all. I would get a standalone tig. I just had a bad experience with an all in one. The problem with aio iss that compromises havve to be made to achieve the multi-purpose. Things , in my case, were not optimized for certain processes. You end up getting something that's not "great" at anything. If you do a search, you can see where my struggles were with the plasma end of my multipurpose. Heed the advice of. Myself and others ....get a standalone.

undercut
06-17-2012, 06:16 PM
Another issue is shop space. One benefit of the Multi-purpose unit is that it everything fits on one cart. Not sure if this would be practical when it comes to welding carts but whenever I start to run out of floor space, I go vertical and start storing things on top of other things. Unfortunately for me .... low ceilings! :D

Gadget
06-17-2012, 07:38 PM
My ceilings are high enough I just have a low budget ;-)

undercut
06-17-2012, 07:41 PM
My ceilings are high enough I just have a low budget ;-) Hehe, I've got a pretty low budget too .... just a huge packrat! Unfortunately, I don't have a surplus of neat looking steel parts to make cool things like Scott. :D

mountain eagle
06-17-2012, 10:09 PM
Hey Xalky - I see you list a Multi 256 in your sig........ did you have trouble with that unit?

If it were all the same I'd consider selling my 50i and the econotig to offset the cost of a multi unit............... tho I'm seeing where most everyone is saying standalone. Is it a general fear or are there failures to back up the concerns?

Right now I've got my friends millermatic 185 MIG, the 50i and the econotig and two bottles all on one welding cart, works just fine.

undercut
06-17-2012, 10:21 PM
Hey Xalky - I see you list a Multi 256 in your sig........ did you have trouble with that unit?

Copied the below from Xalky's post in another thread. "The Preliminary verdict is that the same tig HF start is used for the plasma section which is noisy as hell". Noisy in electrical noise. It was causing him a lot of trouble with the CNC he is building.

WookieWelding
06-18-2012, 05:03 AM
do a lil google search on multi unit failures that have plasma and TIG theres a reason why miller and lincoln do not offer one

Xalky
06-18-2012, 04:44 PM

If it were all the same I'd consider selling my 50i and the econotig to offset the cost of a multi unit............... tho I'm seeing where most everyone is saying standalone. Is it a general fear or are there failures to back up the concerns?

Right now I've got my friends millermatic 185 MIG, the 50i and the econotig and two bottles all on one welding cart, works just fine.I sold that machine, so I guess I should change my sig. I bought the 256PI for the same reason you want it...to save space. Here's what I found out. 1) It is absolutely not conducive to cnc plasma cutting at all. 2) When switching between plasma cutting and tig welding there's a whole check list of things to do...first you gotta change out all the connections, then you gotta change the settings on the machine... and then you gotta purge the gas lines because "air" is not a preferred gas for tig welding. For what I know about tig welding it worked fine as a tig welder. It worked fine as a plasma cutter. But all the steps in between were not worth it. There are compromises made on these mutiprocess machines that, for me , were not acceptable. The cnc plasma table was really the one that broke my back. Had somebody told me that I couldn't use that machine on a cnc table i would have literally saved myself a months worth of aggravation.

undercut
06-18-2012, 05:12 PM
I sold that machine, so I guess I should change my sig. I bought the 256PI for the same reason you want it...to save space. Here's what I found out. 1) It is absolutely not conducive to cnc plasma cutting at all. 2) When switching between plasma cutting and tig welding there's a whole check list of things to do...first you gotta change out all the connections, then you gotta change the settings on the machine... and then you gotta purge the gas lines because "air" is not a preferred gas for tig welding. For what I know about tig welding it worked fine as a tig welder. It worked fine as a plasma cutter. But all the steps in between were not worth it. There are compromises made on these mutiprocess machines that, for me , were not acceptable. The cnc plasma table was really the one that broke my back. Had somebody told me that I couldn't use that machine on a cnc table i would have literally saved myself a months worth of aggravation. It was pretty painful for the rest of us who were living vicariously through Xalky as he worked his way diagnosing the problem. To make things more economical, designers need to combine functions, parts and packaging for multi-process units. It's the main drawback when you gain the lower cost and smaller footprint. Cheers.

KHK
06-18-2012, 06:58 PM
If Xalky Had purchased a 200pi, he would probably would not have had any problems. I have a 200pi and switch between all functions including CNC with NO problems. The 256pi has a different plasma torch than the 200pi
and a different torch means a different starting technoligy. I think that this is the difference. Although Gadget uses a 60 amp torch all the time. Go figure!! Xalky bought a top of the line machine, you would think that it would work!!

I vote for the multi function machine.

mountain eagle
06-23-2012, 08:43 PM
So the consensus seems to be that unless there is a burning desire / overwhelming need to go with a multiprocess stick to single purpose machines. I was kinda thinking that if I could sell or fix and sell the econotig, and the 50i maybe it would get me most of the way to a tig/plasma unit. But since I've already got plasma I should just get what I can for the econotig and work towards a tigweld 250. Of course it might be next year before I can swing it..........

undercut
06-23-2012, 09:14 PM
But since I've already got plasma I should just get what I can for the econotig and work towards a tigweld 250. Of course it might be next year before I can swing it.......... Personally, that is the way I would go. Good luck with your decision making! :D