PDA
View Full Version :

mach3 question.

brucer
06-08-2012, 10:22 AM
contemplating buying the z axis for my machine i found several on ebay within reason.. both are thk, a kr20's and kr33's, they seem to be pretty common.

my question is will mach3 handle a metric lead screw? I havent even turned the computer with mach 3 on it, I been to busy running and organizing an assault on my tbucket.. I spent all day yesterday on the internet and with my nose in a few books getting part numbers and ordering, and that just sucks..

My garage now looks like a cnc plasma cutter and a 27 ford has blown up in it.. :doh2

Xalky
06-08-2012, 11:53 AM
It'll work with a metric lead screw. You'll have to calibrate it in english units though. It's fairly simple to do. You'll only have to do it once. You'll want to get a # for inches of travel per revolution of the stepper. Once you have that # close you can tweak it. You have the bladerunner kit, so start at the beginning of the manual and follow it step by step(yes, you gotta read and follow directions :0, it's easier that way) Don't sweat it, it's fairly easy to do thru the mach3 and the manual. It's the same basic routine for all the axis'.

KHK
06-08-2012, 12:38 PM
Xalky has nailed this one, he is 100% correct.

brucer
06-08-2012, 01:36 PM
that's what i was figuring you had to do, basically covert the mm per rev to inches per rev...

thanks for verifying it guys..

acourtjester
06-09-2012, 07:28 AM
They have a function called Axis Calibration (page 5-13) for each axis found in the settings tab. You set you table up to run and go to motor tuning, click on axis cal, select the axis you want to tune and give is a distance (10") push ENTER the table sill move measure the distance and put it in the box shown and Mach 3 will calculate the steps. Save each axis data time as it gets better each time. Do this until you get the correct amount traveled.
check out this video Motor Calibration - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTRatwpSgpA&feature=related)
have fun
Tom