PDA
View Full Version :

Welding Gloves Advice: Which type of material and Gloves do you use for welding?

LONGEVITY
05-16-2012, 09:39 PM
Hi Guys,

This is Simon. I have been swamped making sure LONGEVITY grows to more than just a brand you can trust. We want to be the brand you go to for your welding needs!

I am looking for some feedback on welding gloves. Please let me know which type of gloves you use, what type of material, and for which processes. Those who give us some feedback will eventually receive a free pair of LONGEVITY gloves.

Thank you all for your continued support!

Cheers

Simon

undercut
05-16-2012, 10:43 PM
Conventional leather, long cuff, cotton lined for stick welding. I hear that deerskin may be more fire retardant than cowhide but I'm sure there are good points about both. Top grain leather is best. Strong seams. Not sure if they need to be Kevlar but the seams can never open on a welder so the thread is best to be fire resistant. I like cotton for the lining as opposed to wool as it absorbs sweat making for a more comfortable environment. Reinforcement for the palm, thumb and knuckles would be nice as those are the greatest wear points. Want the gloves to be long lasting. Pigskin, long cuff for TIG welding for better feel and control. Include a removable "TIG finger"! Doesn't have to be pigskin but does need to provide a good feel. Reinforced wear points and proper thread material as per the stick welding gloves. Oh, and great forum, Simon! Checking out your products too!

poodle
05-17-2012, 04:18 AM
Unless I am welding hot and heavy overhead I wear a cuffed heavy cloth glove. Yea I burn them up eventually but they are alot cooler. I have a really thin pair of leather that I wear TIG welding. If my hand gets to hot propping on the metal I take one of my cloth ones and slip over it.

deereman75
05-17-2012, 06:48 AM
I use a pair of lincoln long cuff cloth lines leather gloves. They work fine for most stuff. I am going to pickup a pair of those aluminized back gloves, my hands do get really hot for the last few inches of the rod, and I bet these will stop that. I wouldnt buy the normal leather ones again. Only the high heat ones, and thin tig gloves. Unless I needed an engine drive, sub arc, or giant high amperage 3 phase equipment (none of which I need now) you guys are my go to company. You have won this lincoln fanboy over.

Gadget
05-17-2012, 06:59 AM
I use a thin pigskin glove for the rod hand and a heavy suede type glove for the torch hand when using TIG. I use heavy cowhide gloves for stick.
Dan

Xalky
05-17-2012, 07:02 AM
Since I've discovered Tillman welding gloves I will never buy a pair of generic leather gloves again. Right now I have a pair of 850L and a pair of 50L. They're leather with long cuffs. They also have a nice pair of thin fingered, long cuffed, kid glove leather gloves for tig welding. They're almost like wearing driving gloves except with long cuffs. I haven't purchased a pair of those yet, but they're probably next on the list. Take a look at the entire Tillman line, they make some amazing gloves and they're priced quite reasonable.

deereman75
05-17-2012, 07:31 AM
Lincoln Heat Resistant Welding Gloves Large [LNC-K2982L ] - $32.99 : KMS Tools & Equipment from Vancouver BC, Selling quality tools at affordable prices all over Canada. Largest powertool, handtool and woodworking machinery retailer in Canada. (http://www.kmstools.com/lincoln-heat-resistant-welding-gloves-large-11857)
These will be my next pair. Maybe add a pair of these for gas welding and when I set up tig.
Amazon.com: Miller TIG Welding Glove Size: Small: Home Improvement (http://www.amazon.com/Miller-TIG-Welding-Glove-Size/dp/B001D7PWPM)

gilly
05-17-2012, 09:35 AM
I use Green Devil and WESCO heavy leather gloves for stick or mig, and i use Tillman 30m gloves for tig. I have to admit that the Tillman gloves are the best that i have used for tig welding so far, but i will always try something new to see if it is better than what i use now.

LONGEVITY
06-05-2012, 04:42 AM
Thank you all for your feedback! I will make sure all who participated will be rewarded when the gloves arrive!

gpete
06-08-2012, 06:31 AM
I use CSX gloves they are well made, I have a pair for Tig, Mig and Stick. Tillmans are very good as well.

brucer
06-11-2012, 09:38 PM
I use leather long cuff for mig welding, Tilman economy mig gloves, they cost like $10... Tig I use Tilman goat skin gloves for steel, I also have a nicer pair of Hobart tig gloves I use for aluminum only...

SICFabrications
06-22-2012, 10:01 PM
pig skin deals with the heat and spatter best, deer remains pliable after the hot touch, cow handles the abrasion the best... i like a glove that has all of em in it, closest ive found is a glove made for miller and marketed by miller... i am currently in the process of switching out to a different type of manufacturer of glove as i have been closely looking at the bsx line of gloves and heat pads. lemme find some links for ya

Miller - Welding Helmets & Welder Safety Equipment and Clothing - Heavy Duty MIG/Stick Gloves (http://www.millerwelds.com/products/welding_protection/hand_body/welding_gloves/commercial/heavy_duty_mig/)

Black Stallion&#174 BSX Stick/MIG Welding Gloves - Black w/Red Flames - Revco Industries,Inc. (http://www.revcoindustries.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=816)

WookieWelding
06-23-2012, 05:55 AM
BSX makes some killer stuff i have there mig and stick gloves i still use tillmans for tig tho prolly cause work pays for them i prolly should try out there tig gloves since i now do the ordering at work

mountain eagle
06-23-2012, 08:34 PM
Wow! You guys use gloves? I guess I should look into that.................

BucketObolts
06-29-2012, 11:40 AM
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c331/FourbangerYJ/mytrailer3002.jpg

These are some leather gloves from Costco. Nothing fancy. They do a pretty good job for welding gloves as long as it's a small job and it don't get real hot.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c331/FourbangerYJ/mytrailer3001.jpg
These are some Tilman 50L gloves. Nice gloves.
But as you can see from both photo's the stitching keeps coming apart in the thumb. The Tilmans are not that old and they are already coming apart.
Maybe some gloves with some beefed up stitching would be good. Maybe it's just me but every set of gloves I have the left thumb blows out long before anything else. Weird thing is I'm right handed.

undercut
06-29-2012, 12:04 PM
Maybe some gloves with some beefed up stitching would be good. Maybe it's just me but every set of gloves I have the left thumb blows out long before anything else. Weird thing is I'm right handed. Maybe that thumb on the left hand is waaaay longer than most! :D Yeah, I completely agree with you on the stitching. Like I stated in my submission, you can't have welding gloves that are going to have holes. Maybe it's not just hype about the kevlar stitching that is used in some? Couldn't tell from your picture if it was the thread in the stitching or the leather that gave way.

BucketObolts
06-29-2012, 12:06 PM
Maybe that thumb on the left hand is waaaay longer than most! :D Yeah, I completely agree with you on the stitching. Like I stated in my submission, you can't have welding gloves that are going to have holes. Maybe it's not just hype about the kevlar stitching that is used in some? Couldn't tell from your picture if it was the thread in the stitching or the leather that gave way.

Pretty sure it was the tread (stitching) on both gloves.

odleo
06-29-2012, 04:00 PM
Tillamn for mig and heavy stick I like Millers both in leather

WookieWelding
06-30-2012, 03:04 AM
tillman or BSX hands down

sharpcreation
06-30-2012, 08:59 AM

This is what happens when you use the wrong gloves for the job.
I was wearing a pair of black stallion gantlet style welding gloves that I usually use for most stick welding. This day I was oxy cutting a piece of 2" plate. noticed it getting hot but didn't want to try an restart. So... end result, great gloves for the job, if getting close to really hot work, use a double insulated knuckle, or heat reflective gloves.

Tig welding I realty like the Tillman tig gloves, their light, thin, and easy to manipulate the filler rod and torch. If I got to prop, I use a TIG finger, made my own, but will be buying some from the Welding tips and tricks guy soon, the things really work and keep my gloves from getting crunchy.

What I liked about the black stallions is their flexability and seam placement. For me at least, I hate when you have to half wear out a pair of gloves before their not rubbing in weird places on the inside.

SICFabrications
06-30-2012, 12:57 PM
https://www.firehousemedical.com/store3/safety-products/gloves/heat-resistant/til550.html <------- and THAT is how you keep that from happening regardless of whose gloves you're using

undercut
06-30-2012, 01:15 PM
This is what happens when you use the wrong gloves for the job. Yikes! So no holes, just heat seeping in through the material?

sharpcreation
07-01-2012, 06:17 PM
Yeah, they were new gloves (second day using them).

I like the backhand heat shield, going to get a couple,
Thanks SICfabrications!!!

undercut
07-01-2012, 08:51 PM
[QUOTE=SICFabrications;38204]https://www.firehousemedical.com/store3/safety-products/gloves/heat-resistant/til550.html

SICFabrications
07-01-2012, 10:20 PM
Local welding supply should carry the pads. I burn 2 up per pair of gloves on average. I have caught them on fire too, it isn't a cure all, but they sure enough help.

undercut
07-01-2012, 10:53 PM
Local welding supply should carry the pads. I burn 2 up per pair of gloves on average. I have caught them on fire too, it isn't a cure all, but they sure enough help. You are in a totally different universe than I am. LOL I'm just starting out. Should last me a while. Hope my ambitions aren't too much bigger than my capabilities!

SICFabrications
07-01-2012, 11:34 PM
Fella that works for me (my foreman) only uses lightweight drivers gloves. For all processes. No pads, no shields, and most of the time, no sleeves. He is solid and gets the work done and keeps everyone else busy at the same time. I let him wear whatever he wants.

undercut
07-01-2012, 11:42 PM
Fella that works for me (my foreman) only uses lightweight drivers gloves. For all processes. No pads, no shields, and most of the time, no sleeves. He is solid and gets the work done and keeps everyone else busy at the same time. I let him wear whatever he wants. If the guy isn't covered in scars, he must be doing something right. Some guys, you wrap them up completely in bubble wrap and they still get themselves hurt! LOL Unfortunately, I currently lean towards the latter. Need to get into good habits so that it's second nature and I don't have to think about what the safe way to approach things is.

sharpcreation
07-02-2012, 09:03 AM
I love using nothing at all, but when it comes to welding without sleeves, I have had a couple of experience with blistered flash burn on my left arm between the top of the glove and the sleeve of my T-shirt. The annoyance of the constant stinging and aching from major UV burns is no big deal but the welders tan just doesn't go over well with the ladies!

So... like another thing that if I mentioned could offend some people here, The Closer to nothing at all a glove can get while still providing protection is the way to go!

Gadget
07-02-2012, 09:54 AM
Keep in mind those flash burns today could be skin cancer tomorrow. Cover up..

sharpcreation
07-02-2012, 12:06 PM
You are in a totally different universe than I am. LOL I'm just starting out. Should last me a while. Hope my ambitions aren't too much bigger than my capabilities!

I haven't met a welder yet that didn't learn his/ her lessons the hot way! Just keep at it and pay attention to what you learn and you should come out just fine!
One big thing you DON'T want to learn the hard way is your face and eyes though!!! When your grindng and cutting use face shield and safety glasses, and if your chipping slag with stick or flux core wear the glasses under your helmet(saves putting them on between welds), you only have two eyes and they don't grow back easily!

undercut
07-02-2012, 12:26 PM
I haven't met a welder yet that didn't learn his/ her lessons the hot way! Just keep at it and pay attention to what you learn and you should come out just fine!
One big thing you DON'T want to learn the hard way is your face and eyes though!!! When your grindng and cutting use face shield and safety glasses, and if your chipping slag with stick or flux core wear the glasses under your helmet(saves putting them on between welds), you only have two eyes and they don't grow back easily!

Unfortunately, I don't have a twin to harvest body parts from in the case of an accident so I hear you loud and clear. ;) One thing I haven't been doing is wearing safety glasses under the hood. I wear prescription glasses with some "impact resistance" in them. Probably not good enough I suspect. Can safety glasses be worn over prescription (and under a hood)?

sharpcreation
07-02-2012, 01:39 PM
they make safety glasses to go over perscriptions.

Not endorsing the site in any way, just has a large example of what is available,
Over-Prescription Safety Glasses - Designed to Fit Over Prescription Eyewear (http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/fiovrxgl.html)

If no one else is welding around you I sugest the standard clear lens, working around others you can get "flash glasses" that keep most of the UV out while still being unshaded.

Hope this helps,
have fun!!!

undercut
07-02-2012, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the link. Lots of selection! I think I've got the "cover up and don't get burned" category covered but I know I'm a bit vulnerable when grinding. Saw a thread in another forum where someone got a metal sliver in his eye. Had on his safety glasses too. *Better safe than sorry* Cover up and stay safe! Cheers!

poodle
07-02-2012, 09:53 PM
I will not lower my hood without my safety glasses on. To many trips to the docs to have metal removed from my eyes. I have some now that cheaters on the bottom like bifocals. They don't cost much at the LWS. I keep two pair one clear and one smoked. I wear the smoked ones all the time at work. When I am welding though I wear plain clear ones cause I have cheaters in my hood and if you don't hold your head right the combo of cheaters in the hood and on my safety glasses just don't work.

undercut
07-02-2012, 10:35 PM
I will not lower my hood without my safety glasses on. To many trips to the docs to have metal removed from my eyes. I have some now that cheaters on the bottom like bifocals. They don't cost much at the LWS. I keep two pair one clear and one smoked. I wear the smoked ones all the time at work. When I am welding though I wear plain clear ones cause I have cheaters in my hood and if you don't hold your head right the combo of cheaters in the hood and on my safety glasses just don't work. Hey Poodle. How far away from the work do you need to be for the cheaters to be able to focus? I want to be able to weld from a reasonable distance. At the rate I'm going, I'll be touching the steel with my nose soon .... LOL.

sharpcreation
07-02-2012, 10:59 PM
Hey Poodle. How far away from the work do you need to be for the cheaters to be able to focus? I want to be able to weld from a reasonable distance. At the rate I'm going, I'll be touching the steel with my nose soon .... LOL.

get in the practice of staying as far away as you can... you don't want your hood being a smoke collector, or melting the protector lens, I swear I have never done this... lol) just get comfortable and make sure your keeping your eye on the puddle... not the arc!

poodle
07-03-2012, 07:27 AM
Right now I use a #2 and I can stay at a comfortable distance from my work. I may have to go a little stronger as my eyes are not getting younger. It is just like having a pair of readers like you buy at the dollar store on but they are in the front of your hood instead of on your nose.

undercut
07-03-2012, 11:45 AM
get in the practice of staying as far away as you can... you don't want your hood being a smoke collector, or melting the protector lens, I swear I have never done this... lol) just get comfortable and make sure your keeping your eye on the puddle... not the arc!

Words of wisdom. Yeah, main reason I want to be able to see but not get too close is the smoke aspect. I've got a chin guard on my helmet that helps keep the smoke from getting in under it but the less smoke on the inside, the better.

Right now I use a #2 and I can stay at a comfortable distance from my work. I may have to go a little stronger as my eyes are not getting younger. It is just like having a pair of readers like you buy at the dollar store on but they are in the front of your hood instead of on your nose.

Looks like I should shop around. Thought I saw a reference for safety glasses with magnifiers on them. That might kill two birds with one stone!

sharpcreation
07-03-2012, 02:44 PM
Yeah, there are tons of different types and styles on the market, I would start with your local weld supplier and se what ones work for ya, then find them on line after you find what you like!

mountain eagle
07-04-2012, 12:52 PM
Suggestion....:

if you wear glasses and regularly do work where you should be wearing safety glasses, get a pair of work glasses that are safety glasses. Saves wear and tear on you daily good looking stuff and you won't forget to put on safeties when you need them.

undercut
07-04-2012, 01:02 PM
Suggestion....: if you wear glasses and regularly do work where you should be wearing safety glasses, get a pair of work glasses that are safety glasses. Saves wear and tear on you daily good looking stuff and you won't forget to put on safeties when you need them. Where would I be able to find prescription safety glasses? Until I'm able to combine by prescriptions and safety glasses, I'm thinking about putting a string on the safety glasses so they'll always be hanging from my neck - won't forget where I put them! LOL

mountain eagle
07-04-2012, 10:49 PM
google is your friend............

https://www.google.com/search?q=prescription+safety+glasses&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

undercut
07-05-2012, 12:01 AM
google is your friend............ https://www.google.com/search?q=prescription+safety+glasses&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a Hehe, sorry, bit of a brain fart there .... :D I was thinking old school and going to an actual store .... Gosh, so embarrassing!