PDA
View Full Version :

CNC off the wall

KHK
03-27-2012, 03:42 PM
When not in use I store my CNC on the wall. I had a need to use the CNC and timed myself, from on the wall to ready to operate it took me 34 minuts. This was at a slow but steady pace.

poodle
03-27-2012, 04:02 PM
It takes me that long to get my trailer hooked up and moved and cutting torch out. So I would say you have that down pat.

acourtjester
03-28-2012, 08:17 AM
Very slick design you have thanks for sharing it. How deep is you water tray??? Or is that a dust catcher?

KHK
03-28-2012, 09:30 AM
The tray is about 4 in deep. it is not a water tray, it just collects the debre from cutting.

Bluesman
03-28-2012, 10:42 AM
Is that a homemade CNC or a commercial one? And that box with all the wires sticking out that says "powered by longevity," is that the computer CPU tower or is that some kind of control for your system? I would REALLY love a CNC and it would speed up my projects tremendously in more ways than one, but I just cannot afford one right now and have to freehand EVERYTHING... I would still freehand some things even if I did have a CNC just because I enjoy doing freehand work, but I would definitely put the CNC to use for sure.

acourtjester
03-28-2012, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the reply still cool

arandall
03-28-2012, 12:02 PM
That's really neat Keith. You really get the most out of your work-space.

KHK
03-28-2012, 05:17 PM
Is that a homemade CNC or a commercial one? And that box with all the wires sticking out that says "powered by longevity," is that the computer CPU tower or is that some kind of control for your system? I would REALLY love a CNC and it would speed up my projects tremendously in more ways than one, but I just cannot afford one right now and have to freehand EVERYTHING... I would still freehand some things even if I did have a CNC just because I enjoy doing freehand work, but I would definitely put the CNC to use for sure.

Yes it is a home brew, CNC Build - FreeWeldingForum.com Welding Gallery @ FreeWeldingForum.com - Welding forum for professionals and enthusiasts (http://www.longevity-inc.com/forum/gallery/browseimages.php?do=browseimages&c=15) is a link to the Gallery pictures. The box that says Powered by Longevity holds the power supply and motor drivers.

The only problem that I have is that I don't use it much, and there is a learning curve.

KHK
03-28-2012, 05:39 PM
Here is a video of what I cut. It is a four in one video. The first three are cuts in 1/4 steel and the last is 1/4 Al cut. I don't use the CNC that much, so some of the cuts are not what they should be. I was cutting to fast and the shim that I used for the tip height was not correct, I did not figure this out untill I was done with the cutting. The cut parts are OK for me to use, bot I would not try to sell them to any one!

http://youtu.be/38kmZ9QN_Z0

A few pictures of the finished cuts.

Gadget
03-29-2012, 07:17 AM
Nice looking cuts Keith, what are you building?

KHK
03-29-2012, 09:52 AM
I am building a GADGET!! LOL It will be either a pile of scrap or a spot welder.

Xalky
04-02-2012, 01:23 PM
The only problem that I have is that I don't use it much, and there is a learning curve. I'm a little afraid of the learning curve too... The machine I'm building is a little bigger, 4x5, I plan on getting some work for it to supplement my income and pay for my fabrication "hobby".

Nice build... very cool. I really like the portability of it. Anybody can overbuild the crap out of something, but making it light weight and portable takes some real thought and engineering.

KHK
04-03-2012, 04:09 PM
Thanks Xalky
Just about every cut I make on the CNC is a one and done cut, and the material comes from the scrap pile. If I do something for a customer, usually the second cut is going great, and it is like a cookie cutter!!