PDA
View Full Version :

50d plasma cutter used as a tig?

hydherc
03-26-2012, 05:55 PM
I read someone had used thier 50d plasma cutter as a TIG I was wondering how you would go about doing that and will it hurt the machine?

matteh99
03-27-2012, 06:56 AM
Some units are designed to do both TIG and Plasma but you need to flip a switch on the machine. You can't just hook a tig torch up to a plasma cutter and hope to weld.

I don't know what would happen but it wouldn't be good. Plasma cutting has different voltage and amperage requirements from welding.

Stick welding has the same basic power output as TIG but you need some way to control the gas and start the arc.

I have a 520D that is stick,TIG,plasma cutter. I believe the plasma capability is similar to the 50D.

Eric

hydherc
03-27-2012, 10:27 PM
thank you do you know which switch i would have to throw to use it in that manner and would it be as efficient at a regular tig?

matteh99
03-28-2012, 06:41 AM
The 50D plasma cutter doesn't have a switch to change the process because it is only a plasma cutter.

My LC520D is a TIG welder, Plasma Cutter, and Stick welder so I have a three position switch to change between each process.

If you want to TIG weld you need a new machine. You can either sell your 50D and get something like a 205i WeldMax 205i | MultiProcess 200AMP DC TIG Stick Welder & 50AMP Pilot Arc Plasma Cutter Dual Voltage 110v/220v (http://www.longevity-inc.com/productdetail_248/Multi-Purpose-Units/WeldMax-205i.php)

Or you could keep your Plasma cutter and get something like.
TigWeld 200D | IGBT 200AMP DC TIG/STICK WELDER (http://www.longevity-inc.com/productdetail_241/TIG-Welders/TigWeld-200D.php)

Both of those options only do DC tig welding so you can't use them to weld aluminum.

If you want to weld aluminum you would need:
Selling your machine
WeldAll 160PI | 160AMP AC/DC TIG/STICK ALUMINUM WELDER & 50AMP PLASMA CUTTER MULTIPROCESS WELDER WITH IGBT TECHNOLOGY (http://www.longevity-inc.com/productdetail_230/Multi-Purpose-Units/WeldAll-160PI.php)
Keeping your machine
TigWeld 200 DX | 200AMP AC/DC TIG WELDER/STICK WELDER (http://www.longevity-inc.com/productdetail_268/TIG-Welders/TigWeld-200-DX.php)

Or some other combo of units.

matteh99
03-28-2012, 07:04 AM
testing my reply

hydherc
03-30-2012, 04:57 PM
thank you for the info i may have to do that

shillow
11-13-2012, 01:54 PM
The multipurpose machines kind of scare me because if one of the three things breaks then you have to send it off and there goes all three.

undercut
11-13-2012, 02:41 PM
Amen to that. I prefer discrete tools rather than all in ones. Also, keeping the units separate allow each unit to cool down a bit more while you switch processes while with an all in one, you are using the same unit for everything (albeit perhaps different parts of the circuit boards).

undercut
11-14-2012, 12:06 AM
I take back (partially) what I stated earlier. I would think the welder / cutter designer would utilize the same IGBT modules within the unit for both processes. I would think if that is true, alternating between welding and cutting will affect the duty cycle of both in an all in one. Discrete machines, of course, will not have their duty cycles affected when you switch between processes. In fact, because they are different machines, it will help the duty cycle of the workflow.

roberts56
11-15-2012, 07:27 PM
The multipurpose machines kind of scare me because if one of the three things breaks then you have to send it off and there goes all three.

It seems we are thinking the same thing here, the multipurpose machines kinda sound so cool but it scares me too. I have been trying to be very careful in my decision, really studying the facts before deciding what to get, this multi-purpose 3 in one type of machines or just get individual units for different welding processes.

Its kinda frustrating if one welding process brakes down in your unit, then send it off for repair or what and you are left with no welder to use, just terrible but still keeping my options open filtering them welders on what would be the best choice.

undercut
11-15-2012, 08:43 PM
Yes. IF I can avoid multipurpose tools, I will. Sometimes I can't but I try very hard to stick to that general rule. I learned my lesson previously.

odleo
11-16-2012, 03:53 PM
I own a multipurpose machine and would not have it any other way due to space limtitations. I know if a process goes down then I am stuck with not having a welder handy. I am willing to take that risk and if worse comes to worse, I will be spending money for another machine while my multi purpose is in the shop for repairs. But I also look at like this if SIC Fabrications has not had a problems with his of multi purpose machines why should I worry. We all know that he puts his machines to work from sun up to sundown and then some at least 6 days a week.

undercut
11-16-2012, 05:03 PM
I think if I get a multiprocess, it will be like yours, Odleo, MIG/Stick/TIG.

There is very little chance that someone with one of those will compound the duty cycle by going from one process to the next in quick succession. Be kinda weird to go immediately from, say, stick to TIG or MIG.

I'm a bit more leery of those where they combine two very different tools together like a welder with plasma cutting. I can see someone cutting something, welding it, cutting more and welding and exceeding the combined duty cycle without even realizing it.

Although I TRY to avoid multitools, I don't have much room nor $$$ so I definitely break my policies now and then.

Cheers!

undercut
11-16-2012, 05:13 PM
Oh, and yes, I value Stan's opinion as well. :D Cheers!

Gadget
11-16-2012, 07:06 PM
I had the good fortune of sharing a hotel room and working with Stan when we were at Fabtech a few years ago. He is one heck of a nice guy and when he says something you can bank on it being correct. We are very lucky to have him here.

undercut
11-16-2012, 07:59 PM
Odleo, you are going to have to pay Stan a visit soon and see what he's up to! I'm sure you have fun when head out there so I don't think you need much of a push! :D

odleo
11-16-2012, 10:25 PM
I see Stan all the time, I work for an agancy that is about 12 miles from his shop. I worked with him last Saturday ok or the past few Saturdays I have been helping Stan out.
I have found that if you work with Stan you had better bring your A game because he does not raise the hood very often and is all business when it comes to work.
Like Gadget said if Stan says something you can definitely take it to the bank.
I have been pestering Stan for the last few years and not once has he ever failed to answer a question or better yet he has stopped what he is doing and shown me how to proceed and then resumed his work.
Now that is what I call a true freind.

UC pm sent your way thanks for the info

undercut
11-16-2012, 10:43 PM
Saturdays burning rod out by Stan's. That's a pretty sweet gig you've got there! :D

(I've got to pester him harder to set up a place near me!) LOL