PDA
View Full Version :

New cnc plasma build. I have some questions regarding pinout for 256pi.

Xalky
03-12-2012, 05:40 PM
I am in the planning and purchasing stages of my cnc plasma table build. On the rear of the 256pi there is a CNC connector. Has anyone used this connector for their plasma table build. I received a plug to use with it. Its a 12 pin round connector and I do have the pinouts for it. has anyone tried this with a candcnc stepper kit?

Thanks

brucer
03-14-2012, 09:10 PM
I havent seen anyone here running a candcnc kit...

I dont know much about the wiring yet, but i would think that you'll wire a relay between the plasma and the electronics..

acourtjester
03-15-2012, 12:54 PM
Hey Xalky
You may have the same problem I have with my Everlast multi unit (PM256) the plasma is a HF pilot start and it makes tooooo much noise for work on a CNC table.
Not unless you go with a very complete shield/grounding to protect against the noise.

have fun
Tom

Xalky
03-15-2012, 06:19 PM
Thanks for the reply guys: In case you guys want to take a look heres the link to the electronics package http://candcnc.com/. The blade runner kit with THC is what I'm looking at getting.

Brucer: I don't think that'll be neccesary but that wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

acourtjester
Hey Xalky
You may have the same problem I have with my Everlast multi unit (PM256) the plasma is a HF pilot start and it makes tooooo much noise for work on a CNC table.
Not unless you go with a very complete shield/grounding to protect against the noise.

have fun
Tom If I'm not mistaken, these kits are shielded and ready to use with a HF start torch. I sent an e-mail out to Tom over and candcnc to verify, I will let you know what he has to say. A lot of builders are just using cat5 or cat 6 network cable with thier home brewed systems and it seems to be sufficient. But, you certainly raised a red flag that I hadn't considered completely.

I already have many of the mechanical parts purchased for the gantry, ie: linear slides, v rollers and rail, ball screw for the z-axis, pulleys and timing belts etc...

If I cant use my plasma cutter, it's gonna be a deal breaker and I'll be putting my acquired goodies up for auction on e-bay. I just can't swing the cash required for a hypertherm... not now. That would would be a bummer dude. :doh2

Gadget
03-15-2012, 06:39 PM
You might want to check out how I shielded my CNC table. Here's the link.
http://www.longevity-inc.com/forum/gallery/browseimages.php?c=20

acourtjester
03-15-2012, 09:01 PM
HI Xalky
I'm not saying you need to buy a hypertherm. There are guys using longevity 50 amp units and others the do not have HF pilot start.
Its just that the Multi units use a HF start for plasma and tig. Other units have pilot start that is not as noisey. You do need a pilot start so you don't need contact start for the plasma. Don't close down your dream just do some checking to get a lower price unit that will work. Or do as Gadget did.

have fun
Tom

Xalky
03-15-2012, 09:44 PM
The 256pi also has a "lift arc" start setting that can be used instead of "HF" arc start. I dont know too much about it and I'm not even sure if it can be used to cut on a cnc platform.

---------- Post added at 11:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 PM ----------

You might want to check out how I shielded my CNC table. Here's the link.
Gadgets CNC table - FreeWeldingForum.com Welding Gallery @ FreeWeldingForum.com - Welding forum for professionals and enthusiasts (http://www.longevity-inc.com/forum/gallery/browseimages.php?c=20)
Have you had any interference problems with your system without the shielding? With shielding?

Where did you get the braided shielding?

LONGEVITY
03-16-2012, 12:34 AM
Hi Guys,

The multi-process units are high frequency plasma start, except for the WeldAll 160pi and WeldAll 200pi, which use blowback with a trafimet S45 torch. However, we are also working with an excellent factory to help our our plasma cutter line and rank it among the top plasma cutters in the industry! The WeldAll 256pi models are high frequency and the LIFT function only works on TIG.

We hope to achieve this within 3 months and introduce some quality models on both the professional level and hobbyist level.

A lot of positive changes coming with our new product lines!

Gadget
03-16-2012, 07:07 AM
Have you had any interference problems with your system without the shielding? With shielding?

Where did you get the braided shielding?

Xalky,
I had terrible problems with lost steps and stepper lockups before shielding my unit. Since the shielding I've had no problems. I'm running an 80P and have also used my 200PI plasma on the table successfully. I did a google search for shielding braid and purchased my shield online. Sorry, I don't remember what company I wound up buying from but there are many out there. I found the nipple used for the Romex type shielding was perfect for connecting the shield to cabinets. They can be found at the local hardware store.
Here's a link to a 25' roll on Amazon Amazon.com: Flat Tinned Copper Braid, Bright, 3/8" Diameter, 25' Length (Pack of 1): Industrial & Scientific (http://www.amazon.com/Tinned-Copper-Bright-Diameter-Length/dp/B003HGHQYW/ref=sr_1_19?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1331903191&sr=1-19)

brucer
03-16-2012, 12:56 PM
you can also use the shielded cable... shielded cable will have a bare wire in it, from what i was told the bare wire is wrapped around the other wires... one end you connect to your cabinet or table chassis, you just cut off the other end.

I plan on using my table outside as much as possible, I plan on driving a ground rod and having some type of quick connect coupling to hook up to..

acourtjester
03-16-2012, 01:26 PM
here is a place to buy add on shield about 1/3 down the page is 1/4" X 100" for $54. I'm not sure what size yu would need check with gadget on that.
The motor drive cablei bought from Hubbard has a shield on it but I will need to sheild the limit/home switch cable I plan to use a cat 5 for that.

keep on plugging there

Tom

Gadget
03-16-2012, 06:30 PM
here is a place to buy add on shield about 1/3 down the page is 1/4" X 100" for $54. I'm not sure what size yu would need check with gadget on that.
The motor drive cablei bought from Hubbard has a shield on it but I will need to sheild the limit/home switch cable I plan to use a cat 5 for that.

keep on plugging there

Tom

The shielding for any size can be used on bigger sized wire, it just won't cover as long a piece. The way to install it is to compress it which opens up the hole in the middle much larger than the size rating so you can easily insert the wire. Then just run your hand over the shield to stretch it out and tighten it on the wire.

Xalky
03-16-2012, 10:52 PM
I asked Tom at CandCNC about the HF interference and the shielding: Heres the conversation:

ME: Will the High frequency torch start on my machine interfere with the electronics, or is everything shielded sufficiently so that the emf emitted from my torch will not be a factor?

Tom@CandCNC: We have everything isolated (even the Torch volts is isolated back to the DTHC side) but getting the plasma side well grounded (earth ground) AND making sure the PC and control side is on a different AC feed and ground is essential to kill the HF start noise. It is not simple enough to just tie everything to one ground and call it good.

So there's my answer. This is why I'll be spending a few extra dollars to get a well engineered electronics package from them. I think it'll be worth every penny to get something I know is gonna work. Plus it comes with THC and software modules integrated in Mach3 setup to work with thier THC and controllers. It's all there , ready to run no trial and error crap and spending time and money on electronic experiments that may or may not work.

I have no problem welding and machining and building machines, thats what I do, but I aint got time and patience to mess with finicky electronics.

Xalky
04-18-2012, 03:53 PM
I already started my build thread in this section.
I just wanted to come back here and thank you guys for the help you've given me so far.

I purchased some copper shielding braid on ebay and I also purchased 10 ferrite chokes. I need to go pickup a couple of grounding rods at Home Depot and that should take care of the EMF problems...hopefully.

From here on I'll be posting everything in my build thread.

Thanks

dudemanweldingdude
09-25-2012, 01:24 PM
I am in the planning and purchasing stages of my cnc plasma table build. On the rear of the 256pi there is a CNC connector. Has anyone used this connector for their plasma table build. I received a plug to use with it. Its a 12 pin round connector and I do have the pinouts for it. has anyone tried this with a candcnc stepper kit?

Thanks
can you send me the pinouts. i dont have a diagram

Gadget
09-25-2012, 02:01 PM
can you send me the pinouts. i dont have a diagram

Simon posted the pin outs on the thread you started dudeman. I'll email a copy to you as well.