PDA
View Full Version :

Stickweld 250 review

hog
03-02-2012, 08:57 PM
My stickweld 250 came in today, all i can say is WOW. The fit and finish is excellent,way beyond what i expected for the price. If it welds as good as it looks i"m gonna be one happy camper. Website pics dont do it justice. Gonna hook it up tomorrow and try my first welds with a inverter.

hog
03-03-2012, 09:00 AM
First inverter welds,no noise or sticking was the first thing i noticed. i'm a trk tech not a welder so they aint purdy. lol 1/8th 7018 on top and 1/8th 6010 on bottom that i forgot to use the 6010 port for .

hog
03-03-2012, 09:30 AM
A friend tried it thats had a few welding lessons, he was impressed with the machine also.

KHK
03-03-2012, 10:09 AM
Looks great! Nice welds!

SICFabrications
03-03-2012, 12:03 PM
Slow down, and let's see a little more heat in the 7018 weld beads. On that heavy of metal and using 1/8 7018's, I would wanna see about 130-140 amps. Again, you'll want your arc force settings on the low side and slow up your travel, stand the rod up a little more at almost slightly less than 80 degrees drag side. You will also want ttherod aiming down towards the bottom plate a little more when welding flat. Same will also apply to the 7014 rods. The puddle WILL wash up to the upper piece with a little patience. Once you start that, that is when you will see the weld bead turn bluish gold and the slag will self peel. Keep burning rods.

---------- Post added at 01:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:01 PM ----------

One last thing, where you terminated the weld at the end of the piece, pause for a half a second and let the puddle build and that will stop the pseudo-crater that you've got going on. Heavy steel is my world daily. You're on a good path to being a good stick hand and will be building bridge parts soon enough!

hog
03-03-2012, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the help sicfab, i havent got a good explanation of what the arc force and suge current adjustments do. Did notice more spatter and rougher looking weld with the arc force at middle settings and up. Surge current???? nobody seems to know for sure what its for. It does seem to be a very good welder for the money,more than i expected.:2thumbs

hog
03-04-2012, 12:30 PM
Gotta move fast with these aluminum rods, and that red stingers gotta go simon. Works great but the color...........

SICFabrications
03-04-2012, 08:07 PM
I am not sure what the surge current is for unless maybe its a hot start feature. The arc force controls the "inductance" of the electricity. Basically it controls the reaction to changes in current and voltage. You yourself are a variable when welding with a stick rod. The amperage stays relatively the same, but the voltage is all is all over the place. Changes in arc length (like longer arc) is a voltage change and inductance allows more "reaction" to the increased demand for amperage to remain constant. It's not necessary when using a drag rod like the 7018, but is completely necessary when using the sparklers like 7010 rods. Someday when I have some more time, I will try to explain this fully.