PDA
View Full Version :

Stopping a crack in metal

Copperhead
02-12-2012, 02:05 PM
I accidentally posted this in the wrong section earlier. (Forum questions)

My neighbor has a post hole digging machine that he uses for his residential fence business. He wants me to weld it but I have little experience. My question is a general one, since I may not even be the one that repairs it. He has stress cracks on both sides of the frame which is V shaped. I know I would need to clean it up very well and I think it needs a reinforcement plate to keep it from happening again. The metal has obviously been fatigued by the rotating and vibrating forces.

Would drilling a hole where the crack ends help stop the crack from continuing?

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h112/old15bravo/dig.jpg

SICFabrications
02-12-2012, 02:10 PM
Not on that one. If I haven't done that repair before, I would say yes. Your best bet is to use a grinder and grind the crack out. Unt you get to fresh metal. Use 7018 rods and weld it back up, then use fish plates. The frames in those augers are way too thin for my taste. Welcome to a capitalist economy!

KHK
02-13-2012, 10:38 AM
When you are done welding, while the matal is still hot, beat it up with a hammer! This should help reduce stress in the metal, from the welding process.

WookieWelding
02-21-2012, 11:15 PM
When you are done welding, while the matal is still hot, beat it up with a hammer! This should help reduce stress in the metal, from the welding process.
you would be better off annealing it then beating it with a hammer

Freddytk421
02-22-2012, 04:25 PM
Iv'e heard peening it is good. hit the weld with the ball peen while it's cooling down. like khk said. If you can anneal it that would be ideal, I don't know how to do that.

I think drilling out where the crack stops and bolting on plates in the holes would help keep it good for a a long time though.

Copperhead
02-24-2012, 03:48 PM
Thanks for all the replies.