PDA
View Full Version :

using up comsumables

tomtom
11-22-2008, 08:16 AM
I have the ls 200p and I'm trying to cut 1/4 alum and it's not working I'm using a 1/2 space witch gives me a 1/4 space off. I was abel to cut about 7in but it burnt up three sets of consumables, does anyone know wy that is. also does anyone know what kind of torch this is I found a s45 that look the same is this torch a trfimet like chicago electric or something else need all info I can get may go to a differint torch any suggestion thank

Gadget
11-22-2008, 09:24 AM
Hi Tom,
By 1/4" space off do you mean that distance from tip to metal? If you are trying to move the cut too fast the backspray could burn the tips up quickly. What air pressure are you using? Suggested pressure is 75PSI. Also, you might try angling the torch slightly inline with the cut direction so the backspray goes away from the cut and tip rather than directly back at the tip.
Dan

KHK
11-22-2008, 09:25 AM
Check out the post "HF Introduces new Plasma Cutter" on this forum If you try the HF consumables please let us know the results.

keith

junes
08-28-2009, 10:03 PM
unless i am misunderstanding you aluminum working temps are not higher then steel. Steel melts at a much higher temp. If the tips come into contact with steel you will have alot of problems too.

KHK
08-28-2009, 10:17 PM
Yes, AL has a lower melting temp than steel, but AL transfers the heat so quickly you need more power to work with it.

JJW
08-29-2009, 07:35 AM
tomtom,
If there is any moisture in your air supply that will cause you to ruin consumables.
Double check you air supply.
John

junes
08-29-2009, 07:53 AM
aluminum radiates the heat realy well so it seems like it is using more. have you ever welded some 1/4'' steel or 3/8'' that feels so much hotter then the same alumiunm. Just what i observe tho. i do see what you are saying tho.

LONGEVITY
08-29-2009, 11:08 AM
Some Suggestions,

Try to maintain about 1/8" distance from the workpiece, try increase the PSI on the regulator, turn up post flow to help cool the torch and the consumables, and finally bush off the slag at the tip every so often to have a fresh tip without something melting to it.

This should help a bit! Aluminum does destroy the tips much faster!