PDA
View Full Version :

Repurposed Plasma Table

Nicholas
11-28-2011, 09:32 AM
Here are some pictures of what I hope will work for a Plasma/Router Table. It is an old Aristomat 105. Aristomat makes plotters and mat cutters etc. There are some models on Youtube but none of the newer ones look like this one.

Wycinanie uszczelki.wmv - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaZAXVr9fVE&feature=related)

The only info I could find on it is an add by a machinery dealer.

47"x 59" ARISTOMAT Model 105 (1200x1500 mm)
(Prec. = .005mm /.0002" according to the manual)
Moving Gantry over precision glass plate. Rack and pinion
encoders & drives Adaptable to moving beam laser, & optical inspection system.
Entire Assembly is on a waist-high frame.
Inside is a back light for viewing transparent objects.
The top working surface is an extremely flat thick glass plate. $9500

I found this thing on Craigslist, gave $200 for it. The guy had a small plasma table that he had built and he had two of these under a tarp and wanted to build another out of one of the aristomats. but he decided to retire from this. He used to make yard art and fill up a trailer with them, tow it behind his motor home and go to different shows all over with his wife.

Anyway since my shop build went south, my aristomat has been under a tarp, again. I blew the dust off it the other day and took some pics.
It's pretty heavy, made four men grunt loading it. The thing I'm not sure of is, it uses a fine tooth rack, don't know if that will work. Might have to change that.

What do you think of it.

KHK
11-28-2011, 10:33 AM
Wow!! That is really nice. It should make a great Plasma/Router table. Did you use a gun when you paid $200 for it? CONGRATS!!!!

Nicholas
11-28-2011, 11:30 AM
Wow!! That is really nice. It should make a great Plasma/Router table. Did you use a gun when you paid $200 for it? CONGRATS!!!!

Thanks KHK,
The guy had it on craigslist, for a while, I went to take a look and bought it. He didn't have a picture of it in the ad.
The guy was retiring for the second time and this was kind of a part time job, making and selling the yard art. He said he was going to sell everything, his plasma table and plasma cutter, welder and he also had a stack of probably 100 full size sheets of steel that he used for his art. he must have found a buyer for the whole works cause the stuff never showed up on craigslist. Guess it was a lucky find.

---------- Post added at 10:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 AM ----------

What do you use on your tables, rack and pinion or ballscrews. I need to build a shed that this thing will fit in to it so I can work on it. Been trying to figure out how I could get it in my living room :D
This thing has a fine tooth precision rack, not sure if it would work for plasma/router. I'll get a tooth count for you. Just went out and counted about 24 or 25 tpi. Could have been metric too. Will probably have to do other modifications, new motors etc. Was thinking about going EMC2. Anyway got some learning to do.

arandall
11-28-2011, 12:10 PM
Wow!! For $200?? Can't go wrong.

Nicholas
11-28-2011, 12:46 PM
Wow!! For $200?? Can't go wrong.

Should be able to get my money back if I ever have to sell it.

Gadget
11-28-2011, 12:52 PM
The tooth count on the rack shouldn't matter. It's more about the pinion size and drive motors.
I sure would like to find something like that around here. Very heavy duty setup.

Charley Davidson
11-28-2011, 06:25 PM
Wow, it's a kit :) That is a major score, what's the overall size?

Nicholas
11-28-2011, 07:18 PM
Wow, it's a kit :) That is a major score, what's the overall size?

For it's original use it's capacity was 47" x 59" not sure if that would change converting it to plasma table or not. Be nice if I could squeeze 48" x 60"

brucer
11-28-2011, 10:52 PM
good deal. few hundred more and some time and you'll be off and cutting..

tigqk
11-28-2011, 11:21 PM
Nice, good find, the only thing I would do now is begin to understand the software end of this machine, you already have the hardware, while the gentleman is still available for help.Loks like a water table would work well with it to keep dust down.

gilly
11-29-2011, 07:07 AM
There is no way you could find something like that cnc table in any scrap yard around my place.There is only junk rusty metal.I guess if there was something that nice in there,one of the employees would scarf it up before it was even seen by someone like me.Great find,i would have bought that in a second.

brucer
11-29-2011, 10:12 AM
are those servos with separate encoders?
you said it had a fine tooth rack, this could be why..

servos and encoders are expensive, and the electronics for them are even more expensive and can be proprietary..

I have servos and encoders available to me that come off a retrofitted c&g aviator plasma table, I'm not using them because they are so expensive to replace, and the drivers are expensive also. the table they come off of had a fine tooth rack and it had gear reduction boxes on each axis..

I can buy a complete good quality stepper/driver kit cheaper than I could buy just the drivers for the servo's..

i'm no electronics expert, but that was my first experience with the servo's i had available to me.. gadget or khk might be able to shed some more light on it..

Nicholas
11-29-2011, 10:13 AM
Yeah, you'd probably have to be right there when the guy was unloading it and the employees were actually working to get anything good.

brucer
11-29-2011, 12:15 PM
did you happen to get a large box full of electronic stuff with it? you might call the guy you bought it from and see if there was one with it, and maybe get if from him cheap, it might be worth it to you.. it will be a pretty good sized box, probably 2ftx3ft about 1ft deep.
the problem with the older servo setups were they were setup using analog components, then they usually retrofitted them with more modern digital electronics and this is where the cost incurred.

if i were you i would get the manufacturer, part numbers and serial numbers off the servos and encoders and start checking on that end, that will tell you which direction you might need to go.. even if you have to spend a $1000 on drivers and controller board, it probably would be worth it..

your still money ahead, and that looks to be a nice stout table..

the servos should offer great power for routing and milling also.

also it would more than likely be NC controlled and not CNC controlled.. you would basically program it on a computer, load program on disk, then insert disk at the controller on the machine..

still $200 is great, i'm sure it wouldnt be to difficult to retrofit stepper motors on the chassis if you need to.

INSANITY
11-29-2011, 01:10 PM
WOW! What a deal! That's going to make for a great setup! $200 that's a STEAL!

Nicholas
11-29-2011, 10:16 PM
Brucer,
What I have is all there was. The guy I got it from said he never got any of the control with the tables.

I have never even checked the existing motors to see what they are. I was just planning on stripping those and starting from scratch with the electronics.

Tomorrow I will go out and get some numbers off the motors and encoders.

I also have a 3 axis industrial control from the 80's, complete with the steppers, that works. It's called a taskmaster 8138. It has steppers and is open loop. I think it can be drip fed from pc. But the parts for it would be expensive to replace.
Like you I would probably be better off buying a stepper/driver kit, with parts and support readily available.

I haven't looked but it probably has limit switches already mounted.
I might get lucky and find I can used the existing motors if I could find cheap drivers for them, but not counting on it. It will definitely be a learning process.

---------- Post added at 09:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 PM ----------

WOW! What a deal! That's going to make for a great setup! $200 that's a STEAL!

I think it's going to work good. I was the only one to answer the ad, and it ran for a couple weeks. How lucky is that. When I saw what it was, I didn't make an offer. I just paid his asking price.

INSANITY
11-30-2011, 08:46 AM
Yeah, you were definately in the right place at the right time.

Bluesman
11-30-2011, 10:19 AM
I see lots of potential for sure. They don't ever have any good stuff like that in our local CL

Nicholas
11-30-2011, 12:00 PM
I went out today and took some numbers off the motors and encoders.

Motors- Berger Lahr- RDM566/50- .75A- 4 ohm-0,72/0,36 degree- ten wire- found out it is a 5 phase stepper motor

Encoder- Dynamics Research 152-021-1000-18ww- date 04/89

Anyway expensive little buggers, both of them.

According to the add I found this machine had accuracy of .0002. I would think way overkill for plasma/router. Would not trying to use encoders/steppers with emc2 or mach kinda complicate things.

Not in a real hurry at this time, still have to build something to house it in.

---------- Post added at 11:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 AM ----------

Nice, good find, the only thing I would do now is begin to understand the software end of this machine, you already have the hardware, while the gentleman is still available for help.Loks like a water table would work well with it to keep dust down.

tiggk, the controller part of the machine was long gone, this is all the guy had. Water table would be a good thing too.

JolietJames
12-01-2011, 06:52 AM
As much as I love that table I feel like my brain's going to explode when I think about how to make it a working plasma table. You must know some things about how they work and how to get this one to do what you want. I have no experience in this, I just know I want one. I'm in way over my head going this route. I need the one a monkey can set up.
Great find Nicholas and best of luck to you on the build.

Gadget
12-01-2011, 08:15 AM
As much as I love that table I feel like my brain's going to explode when I think about how to make it a working plasma table. You must know some things about how they work and how to get this one to do what you want. I have no experience in this, I just know I want one. I'm in way over my head going this route. I need the one a monkey can set up.

The ones that a monkey could set up probably cut like it was done by a monkey. ;-)

JolietJames
12-01-2011, 08:19 AM
Ha! Then I need to make friends with someone like you guys who have already done this. Can anyone be bribed with beer or something I can make with my tubing bender???

Nicholas
12-01-2011, 10:53 AM

Thanks James,
I think it would be no problem for you to build your own table. To me tearing a jeep down and rebuilding the way you do would be more complicated. If you don't have a friend with some machine tools you can buy parts ready made. Also I think Gadget said it, that by building it out of or with readily available parts when it comes time to fix or trouble shoot you will know the machine. And you can build whatever size table you want, the control and software you use will work for any size. Spend a little time at the CNCZONE, then decide if you want to build one.

Here is a link to a table build, there are tons of them. This guy is good.
New Machine Build building 2 5x10 plasma tables - CNCzone.com-The Largest Machinist Community on the net! (http://www.cnczone.com/forums/plasma_edm_other_similar_machine/134470-building_2_5x10_plasma_tables.html)

JolietJames
12-01-2011, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the link Nicholas. I'll check it out.

brucer
12-01-2011, 04:55 PM
Here is a link to a table build, there are tons of them. This guy is good.
New Machine Build building 2 5x10 plasma tables - CNCzone.com-The Largest Machinist Community on the net! (http://www.cnczone.com/forums/plasma_edm_other_similar_machine/134470-building_2_5x10_plasma_tables.html)

thats a nice build for sure,I would hate to buy those linear rails and trucks.

heres a video of a cncrouterparts type table... uses like 2" cold roll rails and cncrouterparts trucks/skates..
http://youtu.be/8hyc8DfI-Tc

WookieWelding
12-02-2011, 12:41 AM
thats a nice build for sure,I would hate to buy those linear rails and trucks.

heres a video of a cncrouterparts type table... uses like 2" cold roll rails and cncrouterparts trucks/skates..
"Dry" run on the plasma CNC. Rapids software capped at 720 IPM - YouTube (http://youtu.be/8hyc8DfI-Tc)
thats pretty cool i bet the cost is less