PDA
View Full Version :

new (cheap) helmet?

zero2005
10-30-2011, 11:57 PM
(didnt know where to put this, but for me its tig specific so i figured i'd put it here)
alright, so i'm lookin at gettin a new helmet. i got a cheap one off ebay back when i first got into welding with my clarke AC buzz box *shudder*. the helmet was great, and its worked awesome for whatever i've asked it to.

but i'm looking for a new helmet, the one i have is pretty beat up. the switches sometimes dont click right, and the knobs are pretty beat up too... i got it for $30 shipped to my door, so its done its job many times over...

i'm not looking to spend boatloads of cash on a helmet, i dont care really about consumables or lenses, if anything i'll just duct-tape what i need onto it if i have to (like cheater lenses) so $60-70 should be considered top end for me.

i've seen plenty in that range on ebay, and they are FAR better than my current helmet, AND they are 4 sensor with extra options like grind mode! the only thing i HAVENT seen is one with a shade 8 capability? i've pretty much used shade 9-10 for everything that i do (mostly mig stuff with my trusty clarke 130en)

so, has anyone relied on one of these ebay helmets? how do they handle the lower amperage tig stuff? do i need the lower end shade 8 or should i be fine with a shade 9-13?

JolietJames
11-01-2011, 08:36 AM
I would think 9 would be fine. I don't think I weld with any less than that actually. What brand helmet are you looking at on line?
-James

gilly
11-01-2011, 09:40 AM
9 is as low as i go to,and that is just for thin stuff at low amperage.

JolietJames
11-01-2011, 10:23 AM
If I'm not mistaken I used shade 8 a while back for gas welding. That's really hard to dial in since the flame changes. You need to adjust sensetivity as well as the shade.

blackdog76
12-22-2011, 10:37 PM
I have a Northern Tool auto darkening helmet that works great and only cost $40. It's far better than the harbor freight units and is actually cheaper too.

tat2nu
12-14-2012, 08:58 PM
I just ordered a Lincoln 2450 helmet for about $167. It was a bit more money but I wanted a helmet that I could change the batteries in when needed. The cheaper auto darkening helmets that I have bought in the past have had non-replaceable batteries so they are basically disposable but at $40-60 I got my money out of them. Hopefully this is the last one I have to buy.

undercut
12-15-2012, 11:57 PM
I just ordered a Lincoln 2450 helmet for about $167. It was a bit more money but I wanted a helmet that I could change the batteries in when needed. The cheaper auto darkening helmets that I have bought in the past have had non-replaceable batteries so they are basically disposable but at $40-60 I got my money out of them. Hopefully this is the last one I have to buy.

That's a pretty nice hood. Let us know how you like it once you've had it for a while. The specs sound really good for that price.

tat2nu
12-16-2012, 08:19 AM
Yeah, I thought it was a great deal. I got it from a welding store on eBay called Welding Supplies from IOC. Just do a search for "Lincoln 2450" and then sort by lowest price first and he shows up as the first "Buy It Now". I will do a review on it once I get more of a chance to play with it.

roberts56
12-17-2012, 01:12 AM
@ zero2005

Why not check out the Esab Globe Arc, its a non battery welding helmet that can also be used in all welding and cutting processes. You can even change/replace the outer lens to whatever shade you prefer and its very light plus you won't need to be nodding your head down when starting to weld. Bought it at $69.69 but saw another seller selling it at $60.00 only. :2thumbs

Hope this helps !!:bounce

Cope
12-17-2012, 04:47 AM
That's a pretty nice hood. Let us know how you like it once you've had it for a while. The specs sound really good for that price.

I bought my MM210 and Jackson NexGen from IOC. They are good people.

klmyhre
01-04-2013, 12:59 PM
I actually like my HF one but then again I haven't used many auto darkening helmets before. I'm just getting back into welding. Last time I welded was way back in High School lol

Nathan Stiltner
01-04-2013, 08:02 PM
Best (cheap) auto darkening helmet I ever had was a 60$ kobalt from lowes. No batteries just solar powered. Probably six years old and still working fine. Use it at work and gets thrown around and has held up great. Got my miller digital elite at home.

exwldr
01-05-2013, 02:04 AM
i bought an auto darkening helmet from harbor freight to try out. the blue flame one for $36.00 on sale & have had it for about 6 months, and it's been working fine. it has adjustable lens shades from #9-13 and a grinding mode. very light & comfortable to wear, decent headgear & the price was right. so far i can't complain...

undercut
01-06-2013, 12:38 AM
i bought an auto darkening helmet from harbor freight to try out. the blue flame one for $36.00 on sale & have had it for about 6 months, and it's been working fine. it has adjustable lens shades from #9-13 and a grinding mode. very light & comfortable to wear, decent headgear & the price was right. so far i can't complain...

I've got the same one. So far, it has worked pretty well for me (for a hobbyist).

Gamble
02-21-2013, 06:31 AM
^^That thing sucks! And you have no idea on how bad it sucks until you get a quality helmet.
I can only recommend ones that I've used.

So far I've used:
Same blue Harbor freight one = sucks
$99 kobalt from lowes = crap
Jackson eqc = Good helmet, but heavy. Not a fan of helmets that take AAA batteries
Miller digital = Great,love it; but pricey $200
Mac tools (made by jackson, I think?) = great helmet. but super over priced, over $400
HTP striker, $99 free shipping = Lightweight, comfortable and inexpensive.

Those are the only ones I've used that i can comment on. I have read good and bad things about the lincoln viking helmet, but no personal experience.

shotgunjoe
02-21-2013, 09:13 AM
My Chicago auto darkening helmet is solar powered, and if it sits for several weeks unused it will drain... simply strike an arc or torch lighter and its charged.

Ive been using it for 6 years! Never let me down, bought on ebay for $30 shipped, 9- 13 shade i believe...but i removed the stickers and painted it.

Gamble
02-21-2013, 09:26 AM
Yes it works but it doesn't work well. Test out a quality helmet and you will never go back to a harbor freight helmet EVER again.
You don't know how crappy it is until you try something better.
Try it, I know places like htp have a 90 money back. All you do is pay return shipping. I am sure other companies will do it but I can't say for sure.

Cope
02-21-2013, 09:44 AM
I had a Jackson EQC, and then bought their NexGen. The AAA batteries in the EQC leaked and ruined the display. The NexGen is over eight years old, and still going strong on it's second set of batteries. I did upgrade the headgear to Jackson's 370.

Gamble
02-21-2013, 09:54 AM
It's a good Lid but those batteries just add to the weight.

shotgunjoe
02-21-2013, 10:30 AM
I used to have a speedglas... rated the best... the difference in price does NOT justify it.

Gamble
02-21-2013, 10:38 AM
Never used one of this but I can say from what I have read, speedglas is a love it or hate it. I would love to try one.

shotgunjoe
02-21-2013, 11:14 AM
My first helmet, when I was in school was a Jackson w30... now that thing was crap... lasted less than 6 months.

WookieWelding
02-21-2013, 11:57 AM
the miller performance lid is also a excellent lid it is there mid priced lid
3 arc sensors and clear rated for low amp tig also

Cope
02-21-2013, 12:39 PM
It's a good Lid but those batteries just add to the weight.

Two button cells weigh next to nothing. I'm looking hard at the HTP line for a second hood.

LONGEVITY
02-21-2013, 01:23 PM
We have a new line of helmets coming! 4 sensors with nice viewing areas. I hope to have more details in the future.

undercut
02-21-2013, 11:33 PM
^^That thing sucks! And you have no idea on how bad it sucks until you get a quality helmet.
I can only recommend ones that I've used.

So far I've used:
Same blue Harbor freight one = sucks
$99 kobalt from lowes = crap
Jackson eqc = Good helmet, but heavy. Not a fan of helmets that take AAA batteries
Miller digital = Great,love it; but pricey $200
Mac tools (made by jackson, I think?) = great helmet. but super over priced, over $400
HTP striker, $99 free shipping = Lightweight, comfortable and inexpensive.

Those are the only ones I've used that i can comment on. I have read good and bad things about the lincoln viking helmet, but no personal experience.

That is exactly what I was afraid of. Because I haven't used any other helmets, it's really hard to tell what I'm missing. I'll have to take a look at the HTP helmets. Thanks for the tip.