PDA
View Full Version :

Welding jack on farm impliment.

Kendrick
09-26-2011, 06:29 PM
I have 3 or 4 impliments I need to weld a jack to. the jack has a shiny 1-2" tube that is to be welded to the impliment. it has 2 sets of holes to hold the jack up or down... how would you guys go about welding it on the impliment. leave a small gap? bevel the tube where it meets the impliment? put it right on the impliment plate and weld away?

I suspect I will be using a root and 2 cover passes but not sure. its a 2k bulldog? jack from TSC.

Bluesman
12-01-2011, 09:12 PM
I have 3 or 4 impliments I need to weld a jack to. the jack has a shiny 1-2" tube that is to be welded to the impliment. it has 2 sets of holes to hold the jack up or down... how would you guys go about welding it on the impliment. leave a small gap? bevel the tube where it meets the impliment? put it right on the impliment plate and weld away?

I suspect I will be using a root and 2 cover passes but not sure. its a 2k bulldog? jack from TSC.
Can you post up some pics so we can see what you are specifically talking about?

tigqk
12-01-2011, 10:53 PM
I would not weld the tubes directly to the implement I would get some channel iron and cut the circumference of the pipe onto the edges; top and bottom of the channel iron, then weld the plate to the implement you wish to use it on, their is more surface area for adhesion and better opportunity for a professional looking mount.You may also want to bring it out more from the frame of the implement , I have a few of these types of jacks.

WookieWelding
12-01-2011, 11:53 PM

I would bevel the pipe on the jack to 37 1/2 degrees leave a 1/16th to 1/8th root opening between the plate on the implement and the pipe run you root pass then run a hot pass then you cover pass and have it look professional and not hacked together