PDA
View Full Version :

Floor pans

MSBRONCO
09-21-2011, 07:40 PM
I posted this question this morning,but I guess it got dropped.I was wandering what is the best type of welder to stick in new floor pans?I have an ole bronco that I plan on putting some in sometime down the road:?::?:

Gadget
09-21-2011, 08:23 PM
Did the post disappear or just not get answered Gene? I remember several posts re the stick welding body parts.

KHK
09-21-2011, 11:12 PM
Stick welding sheet metal is tricky. Small welding rod and low amps. Some people like ac welder over a dc welder for this type of welding.

MSBRONCO
09-22-2011, 04:59 AM
Did the post disappear or just not get answered Gene? I remember several posts re the stick welding body parts.

I believe it disappeared because there were some other post on here that I replyed to that are gone also

Gadget
09-22-2011, 08:42 AM
I think I replied to it as well suggesting MIG for the process correct? Just trying to pin it down so I can report the missing post.

---------- Post added at 10:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 AM ----------

Here is the post I was referring to. It also addresses sheet metal stick welding.
http://www.longevity-inc.com/forum/arc-stick-welding-smaw/3196-sheetmetal-welding.html

A search of sheet metal took me to the above link. Try searching by key words for your post, if you still cannot find it let me know.

MSBRONCO
09-22-2011, 12:34 PM
Yea I did not think the stic would be what I would need to do this.I figure somewhere down the line when I become a fair welder I will have to make a choice between a new stick or the mig.Right now the mig and tig seem way beyond my ability!! Thanks---Gene

Gadget
09-22-2011, 04:53 PM
Keep in mind that the MIG and TIG can also do stick welding.

MSBRONCO
09-22-2011, 07:22 PM
Oh my I did not realize that! That makes me feel better about it.

Gadget
09-22-2011, 07:42 PM
Check the specs on the unit you're interested in. I'm pretty sure they all (MIG and TIG) do both.

MSBRONCO
09-23-2011, 10:43 AM
Well I guess for right now I'm gonna stick with the stick and will look at mig down the road

Nick
10-09-2011, 03:03 AM
Keep in mind that the MIG and TIG can also do stick welding.

That's heavily dependent on the brand.. *hint hint*

For floor pans, MIG is a winner. It'll let you jump around while building structure quickly without tricky starts (for the new).

If you, or a friend is a long time arc welder, do the smart thing. Drop the fuel tank, strip the interior, and just let them do it. ;) In this genre, skill is almost always greater than process.

Also, so long as the welds are good, bedliner hides almost all sins. :lol:

tigqk
10-10-2011, 02:05 AM
The best machine in my opinion is the resistance welder, but is not always the practical choice because you cannot get around to fuse both sides adequately, their were some resistance welders I have seen in body shops that allow you to place two handles on one side and try to fuse both sides but I never had success with it because the breaker would trip.Other than than this, the alternative is to match factory spot weld intervals, pop holes with sheet metal punch,grind then use spray on primer and spot weld with mig welder, normalize immediately by on-dollying spot weld to flatten crown. grind flush if seen.
For any fusing of panels or butt welds, tig weld with er70s-6 mig wire .035, or even fill your spot welds with tig.
You don't see much use of resistance welders in body shops because they are still veiwed as an expensive tool, it has only been recently that import resistance welders ca be found for about 200-250 dollars american on ebay, they used to be $1250 on up.

Nick
10-16-2011, 11:17 PM
Do realize tig is talking about doing things just like factory, so you can roll it out on the 4th hole at Pebble Beach. :o

That, or he's making something a well paid drunk guy once told me seem quite a bit more complicated.... :lol:

arandall
10-17-2011, 02:05 PM
I vote for MIG for the floor pans. But remember - it's gotta be clean!!

tigqk
10-18-2011, 01:44 AM
... mig it, don't tig, but sheetmetal can be difficult, if you take it slow, stress relief, use plugwelds to replicate factory their is no reason you cannot have a first rate job done by yourself. I am a bodyman, but this stuff is simple common sense work, don't get sloppy.

Nick
10-20-2011, 10:19 PM
simple common sense work, don't get sloppy.

Tig, I ever get to that point, and I'll be flying out for a week long seminar on concourse level floor resto. :D Thanks for holding out and doing it right.

I'd just be happy to jump into a 40's-60's car, and NOT feel the "properly repaired" floorboard spring, and then fall out of the way. :lol:

Still can't stress enough, drop the tank, strip the interior, have a proper extinguisher and a bucket of sand on hand. ;) Years of grease and oil leaks always seem to take a spark at the wrong moment.

Gadget
12-27-2011, 07:05 AM
hi hello.......4337