PDA
View Full Version :

Welding certs?

mountain eagle
09-07-2011, 09:44 AM
While I've been way too busy with a house renovation to do anything for fun, I am scheduled to start a welding class tonight. It's a one night a week for three months kind of thing and I've been told one can get a basic stick certification. My question is what kind of certifications mean something? What should I be looking for?

I've also been told that while the focus will be stick, students can do TIG and MIG too. For my needs at home I don't see needing stick, but rather TIG. Of course I'm also up for getting any relevant certifications if it will help down the road.........

KHK
09-07-2011, 12:24 PM
I would think that the more certs that you have the better...

WookieWelding
09-07-2011, 07:55 PM
certs are only good 6 months and you have to be working in the field using that process and procedure (WPS) you certified too otherwise it expires

if you do alot of mig work i would get a vert up mig on 3/8 plate 3g and a 4 G overhead

Tig Certs there are tons depends on what you want to do

mountain eagle
09-08-2011, 09:28 AM
Thanks! Now that I've attended one class they clarified the whole cert thing. We'll be working towards being able to pass a 3G/4G overhead on 3/8 plate. We will not actually be getting or paying for certification, tho it's an option to do supervised coupons and send them in. I won't be bothering to do that part due to the money and odds of being able to maintain any certification in the near future. However I will be making and testing a whole bunch until I'm confident that I can pass should I have the opportunity to do so.

Gadget
09-08-2011, 10:12 AM
Good luck ME and I hope you enjoy your class.

JolietJames
09-22-2011, 07:09 PM
Our local CC has a welding program. There are classes in stick, gas, mig, and tig, torches, plasmas, and basic machining I believe. There are something like 16 classes and when completed students are issued an associates degree in welding technology or something similar. I am five weeks into an eight week gas welding class and it's pretty interesting. I've always wanted to learn how to gas weld for emergencies on the weekends when I run myself out of gas like a dummy. I'm not going for the degree because I don't have time to finish. We plan to move to AZ in two years or less and are closing on our home out there on the 7th of Oct. If we were staying longer I would get the degree even though I'm a programmer by day. I plan to open a fab shop in Tucson and work at it in the evenings and weekends. Enjoy your class, I am.

Nick
10-09-2011, 03:06 AM
Agree with Wook, It all depends on what you're looking to do, and who you're doing it for.

IE, let's say I want to build a tube frame race car. Stick seems silly, but it's the only way to weld suspension brackets. Makes sense? :D

Metal Core Customs
11-22-2011, 07:38 PM
i got my vertical up and overhead in bout MIG and stick at my community college in my area. possibly look into any schools around you that might have something like that

arandall
11-22-2011, 08:18 PM
Good on ya Mountain Eagle. I'v always thought that I'd like to take a few classes, but always seem to be able to convince myself I don't have the time.