PDA
View Full Version :

Radiant heat and the S45 torch

KHK
08-07-2011, 06:29 PM
I cut some rectangular holes in some angle iron. The cut outs were small and the cut was slow. This allowed the radiant heat to cause problems with the torch tips. It was so hot that I could feal the heat from 12 to 16 in away. A water table would have helped, but I don't have one. The torch was modified by me using PVC as the main body of the torch. The PVC got soft but never failed. The torch tips and electrodes were in sorry shape...

Gadget
08-07-2011, 07:09 PM
Keith, did you by any chance forget to connect the ground and cut only with the pilot wire. That's happened to me when I forget to connect the ground.

KHK
08-07-2011, 07:37 PM
Gadget, I don't think that I could cut 9/16 steel with the pilot arc...

Forum problem-The forum said that the sentance above is not 10 char.
Second try!

Tritium
08-07-2011, 08:45 PM
Forum problem-The forum said that the sentence above is not 10 char.
Second try!

It told me the same thing yesterday and just now but took it on the second try, although the second try had more verbage it posted the first try verbage (WEIRD). Both days.

Thurmond

Gadget
08-08-2011, 07:14 AM
Ok guys thanks for the posting issue feedback. I've been working with SICFabrications on the same issue and thought it was just something on his end. I've reported this to the developers.

tigqk
08-12-2011, 01:29 AM
I think you are clearly exceding the ability of the torch and should maybe change torches to one of the other models offered or stop using it on such thick stock.

KHK
08-12-2011, 09:11 AM
I think you are clearly exceding the ability of the torch and should maybe change torches to one of the other models offered or stop using it on such thick stock.

If I were to do the same cuts againg I would stop the CNC about 1/2 way through to allow the work piece to cool.

The piont of the post is to address radiant heat. I have cut 1/2in stock in the CNC. The cut was a cut of about 20in streight. The torch/tips/elctrodes worked very well.

tigqk
08-14-2011, 01:24 AM
Not sure how the result may be, but how about taking some brake tubing or brass tubing and making a round ring an inch up the handle for those occasions when you are using the machine on thick stock and drilling small orfices to spray cooling air down at the torch where it does not interfere with cutting and see if that helps, or even perhaps two flatten tubes, flared and pointed at the copper contact base to see if it resolve the cooling problem.If it doesnt perhaps a torch with ceramic nozzles.

KHK
08-14-2011, 02:04 AM
Good ideas, thanks for your input..

brucer
08-14-2011, 07:07 PM
isnt that machine rated at 1inch cut capacity, i would think it should do 9/16 pretty easy.

KHK
08-14-2011, 07:53 PM
Not sure how the result may be, but how about taking some brake tubing or brass tubing and making a round ring an inch up the handle for those occasions when you are using the machine on thick stock and drilling small orfices to spray cooling air down at the torch where it does not interfere with cutting and see if that helps, or even perhaps two flatten tubes, flared and pointed at the copper contact base to see if it resolve the cooling problem.If it doesnt perhaps a torch with ceramic nozzles.

I havent seen a ceramic nozzle for a S45 torch. The 200pi will not work with a different torch.

---------- Post added at 08:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 PM ----------

isnt that machine rated at 1inch cut capacity, i would think it should do 9/16 pretty easy.

You are correct, 1 in capacity. The problem was the radiant heat generated from cutting such a thick piece of metal, in a small area, and then diong the same cut about 6 in firther down the angle. I don't think I could have done the cuts with a hand held torch, I would have cooked my hands & arms. A few of the cutouts were red hot when they fell from the main angle iron.

brucer
08-15-2011, 05:19 PM
could you make some sort of aluminum collar to use as a heat sink?

KHK
08-15-2011, 09:53 PM
Yes there are plenty of solutions. The purpose of the post was to inform everyone about the limitations of CNC and the S45 torch..