PDA
View Full Version :

losing my arcs at the beginning of my cuts

minnfatz
07-11-2011, 11:20 PM
I started having an issue that I'm not really sure how to fix. I am using my Weldall 200PI for CNC plasma cutting and I am having an issue of sometimes losing my arc about 1 second after I begin a cut. The torch will fire, begin its cut and after about 1 second, the arc will shut off, but the machine will continue the cut path. After about another second the arc will kick in again and the torch will generally cut like normal the rest of the way.
Sometimes I will lose the arc again if I am cutting really narrow stuff. I have
messed with the delays in both Sheetcam and Mach, with some success, but it
seems like I lose the arc because I blow through the material right away and
there isn't any material to maintain an arc. Is there something I am missing?

Thanks,
Minnfatz

Gadget
07-12-2011, 06:08 AM
Two things you can do Minnfatz. First reduce the current of the cut if you think you are blowing the material away causing the cut to stop. Second, for CNC cutting I get the best results by hooking the pilot arc wire directly to the ground wire bypassing the pilot arc circuitry in the cutter. When you do this, make sure to hook the ground clamp to the material. I have forgotten it and cut using only the current from the pilot arc wire, it doesn't do so well that way. (imagine that ;-) )

KHK
07-12-2011, 08:43 AM
Also, To much air pressure can sause the arc to blow out on thinner material, try to lower your air pressure. I have cut 18 ga as low as 45 psi with good results.

minnfatz
07-12-2011, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the input guys, I will try everything you two mentioned.