PDA
View Full Version :

Plasma cutter arcs but will not cut.

Gumby88
07-03-2011, 05:18 PM
I'm new here and to plasma cutting,but after googling I found this site in hopes that someone might be able to help.

I just bought Renegade Power Solutions CUT-50 PRO Plasma Cutter

Hooked everything up air at 60 psi 110 volt

Tried to make some cuts but all it does is arc and pop but never cuts

Any suggestions as to why its doing this?

Gumby

I copied the somewhat duplicate post to this one and deleted the duplicate. This was done to keep it all in the proper place Dan

Plasma cutter arcs but will not cut.
Making my first post after hours of googling I found this site and I hope it can be helpful.

I just bought a Renegade Power Solutions CUT-50 PRO Plasma Cutter hook everything up and tried to make a cut.

The cutter arced and popped but never began to cut.

I tried different consumables with the same result.

I have this unit plugged into 110 and air at 60 psi.

Tried the current really low to max with same result

As I see it the unit somewhere is defective and needs to go back but curious to see what someone here might have in mind as a solution.

Thanks
Chris/Gumby

Gadget
07-03-2011, 05:29 PM
Hi Gumby and welcome to the forum. What amperage do you have your unit set to? Do you get air flow from the torch? What type of torch is it? If it's the S45 torch the center electrode must be able to move up and down when you press on it, that movement is needed to get the cut going.
I made sure you are now promoted to registered user so your posts will show immediately now. I'm sure after getting answers to the above questions we can get this figured out for you.
Please post a bit about yourself in the introduce yourself section so we can get to know you.
Dan

Gumby88
07-03-2011, 05:56 PM
Thank you for the nice welcome.
I have the amperage set now to 50
I do have nice airflow to the torch
The torch is a PT-31 plasma cutting torch with 13' cord, but I dont have any movement in any parts like you mentioned.

Gumby88
07-03-2011, 06:16 PM

Quiet and fast cuts in stainless & carbon alloy steels, copper, aluminum and other metals

• Digital amperage readout - displays output current / power level

• Convenient air-pressure gauge located on front-panel

• Rated for clean cuts up to 16mm (just under 3/4"), slightly thicker severance cuts

• Latest production model - all the latest updates and improvements

• Power v-mosfet technology for superb power and reliability

• Easy to use - out of the box to operation in under 10 minutes. Everything needed is included, just supply air and electricity.

• Dual input voltage - functions with either 110v or 220v, single-phase power (U.S. 60 hz. or European 50 hz.) Standard U.S. 3-prong, 15-amp grounded, 110v plug is pre-installed. If you prefer to operate the unit with 220v power, simply install a new plug on the power cord to fit your receptacle. The machine will automatically detect the input voltage/frequency and adjust.

• Oversized cooling fan & chassis vents for maximum duty and long life

• ISO9002 & CE certified

• Uses standard 50-amp consumables (12 pcs. included / we stock thousands more)

Brand:Renegade Power Solutions
Series:Titanium Elite (Renegade's best line)
Model:CUT-50 PRO
Dimensions:15" x 11" x 6"
Input voltage:110 or 220 volts
Input current:30 amps
Output:50 amps
Duty cycle:60% at full power
Power factor:0.93
Protection:IP21
Start type:High-frequency, clean metal contact

Tritium
07-03-2011, 06:26 PM
I don't think 110V will support 50A cutting current. Usually 110 will only cut to about 20A (only useful on thin gauge metal).

Thurmond

Gumby88
07-03-2011, 08:51 PM
(http://www.longevity-inc.com/forum/members/tritium.html)Tritium (http://www.longevity-inc.com/forum/members/tritium.html)

Do think its not working then because its not hooked up to 220v ? The machine only has a cord for 110volt.

If so I was thinking of trying to find a cord with a 220 male plug on one end and then 110 female on the other to plug into.

KHK
07-03-2011, 09:11 PM
I don't think 110V will support 50A cutting current. Usually 110 will only cut to about 20A (only useful on thin gage metal).

Thurmond

Yes, I think this is correct.

The type of cutter that was purchased is a contact type, and needs the torch tip to touch the work to start the plasma flowing.

Tritium
07-03-2011, 09:14 PM
Don't know for sure but try setting it for 20A and cutting something thin (like a computer case). You need a bare clean spot for your ground cable and some plasma units don't cut dirty or painted metal well so try the inside of the computer case or a piece of clean metal.
Have you contacted the seller to see what their solution might be?

Thurmond

Gumby88
07-03-2011, 10:43 PM
Thank you both KHK and Tritium for help.

Tritium , I will give your suggestion a try .

I did contact them but as its the holiday I haven't heard back from them for a reply.

---------- Post added 07-04-2011 at 12:43 AM ---------- Previous post was 07-03-2011 at 11:39 PM ----------

Tritium,
I did what you told me and it worked. The cutter cut it. It wasn't pretty or clean but it actually worked.

I must have had the amperage set way too high, because now it works.

Thanks so much for your help.

Now I have another question though. I'm wondering how thick of metal I can cut using 110v or should I look into getting it wired for 220v. ?

SICFabrications
07-03-2011, 10:52 PM
one thing to keep in mind, is a ground.... ive found it in the past, even tho you might have the ground lug installed in the machine, the ground clamp on the metal, if the ground wire has come loose inside the lug, well.... no ground = no cutting.... also, the plasma torch WILL be hooked to the negative side of the machine... if you have hooked the torch to the positive side, you have fused the tips together and need to replace the consumables and try again.... again, the plasma torch MUST be hooked to the negative side of the machine...

above, as stated, 110 vac cannot support 50 amp cutting power.... however, if the machine cannot withstand the 220vac input, then dont fry your machine but trying to adapt it over to 220 from 110... be best to wait for that companies tech support to get back to you on this...

hope ive helped

---------- Post added at 11:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 PM ----------

also, that is a panasonic torch copy... it uses hi freq to start the arc NOT contact... i did a quick google search and looked at the drawings a lil and you cannot get the polarity incorrect on that machine, so disregard my polarity suggestion....

when you hold the torch over the metal ready to cut, is that when you notice the quick "on/ off" of the arc? of are ya holding the torch in the air? what is the distance of the torch over the metal? should be about 3/32 of an inch... you shouldnt need full blast to start and maintain an arc from this machine, i would check the consumables, make sure they are tight, fresh and try again, check the ground clamp, cable and lug to make sure that you are getting a good ground...

LONGEVITY
07-03-2011, 11:30 PM
Gumby,

If that machine is made by a factory I think it is made by, check inside for the High Frequency board and insure there is a good distance between the two points on the front left where the HF arc initiates.

Other things to try:

1. Turn down the PSI to say 35-60 at increments of 5.
2. Wire at 220v and see if the unit functions. Sometimes, the 110v is not enough to power these types of cutters.
3. Check the ground and make sure its connected.
4. Check to make sure there is nothing blocking the air inlet.

Hope these help. If not, give the company a call for a warranty claim or trobleshooting.

Gumby88
07-04-2011, 04:30 AM
SICFabrications & Longevity,

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Before I can wire it to 220v I need to find the cable and plug to be able to do it.

You all have helped so very much and have given me some great suggestions.

I need some garage time to see I can put your suggestions to work.

Thanks
Gumby

Tritium
07-04-2011, 11:55 AM
SICFabrications & Longevity,

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Before I can wire it to 220v I need to find the cable and plug to be able to do it.

You all have helped so very much and have given me some great suggestions.

I need some garage time to see I can put your suggestions to work.

Thanks
Gumby

The information you posted about the machine states that all you need for 220 is to replace the plug on the power cable.

Thurmond

Gumby88
07-05-2011, 08:23 AM
The wire going into the machine is just standard 110 wiring with a 110v plug in.

I would assume if I cut it off to put a 220v plug on the end I would melt the wire off.

Thats why I think I need to find out what wire to use and a 220v plug to use in the garage.

My brother suggested I buy a RV 220v to 110v adapter,but I would think in doing so the machine would operate at 110v and not the desired 220v.

Gadget
07-05-2011, 09:35 AM
The wire going to the machine should be able to carry the maximum current the machine is rated for. Otherwise they couldn't sell it as that capacity. Keep in mind that the 50 amp on the leads doesn't equate to 50 amps on the input side. It's more likely that the current requirement on the input side is somewhere between 25 and 30 amps, probably closer to 25. According to the chart here American Wire Gauge table and AWG Electrical Current Load Limits with skin depth frequencies (http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm) 14 gauge wire can carry up to 32 amps for chassis wiring and so it should handle the amperage on the input side of the cutter.
Dan

poodle
07-05-2011, 03:21 PM
Dual input voltage - functions with either 110v or 220v, single-phase power (U.S. 60 hz. or European 50 hz.) Standard U.S. 3-prong, 15-amp grounded, 110v plug is pre-installed. If you prefer to operate the unit with 220v power, simply install a new plug on the power cord to fit your receptacle. The machine will automatically detect the input voltage/frequency and adjust.

There is your answer in the machine description you posted.

KHK
07-05-2011, 03:25 PM
Your machine is rated at 30 amp input. I would use GA wire to be on the safe side.

THECNCMAN
07-05-2011, 06:57 PM
Yes you right is supost work n 110 volts but if don't touch the metal never get arc

hello KHK.

LWR
05-17-2016, 02:41 PM
Where did you purchase your Renegade Power Solution Plasma cutter? I bought a used one that works great, just need to find parts and a manual; Thanks Larry