PDA
View Full Version :

welding question

beadboy
06-15-2011, 08:55 PM
hello, Im going to be welding a few patches in my 78 ford trucks frame. I was wondering what rod i should use. My welder is an 250 amp AC forney. What rod would be the best? the frame is pretty rusty. thanks, Jake

SICFabrications
06-15-2011, 11:32 PM
first, clean the rust off the frame... if you are having to ask what rod to use, then that tells me that you arent up for the task on that style of repair. truck frames are not anything to take lightly. that is all

beadboy
06-16-2011, 10:07 AM
ok I will do that. But i was just currious what rod you would use. I weld well enough to complete the task. Im olny 16 i dont know alot about the rods. thanks jake

WookieWelding
06-16-2011, 06:57 PM
I am with stan if you have to ask what rod to use for a motor vehicle frame repair you should not be doing it
stick to the non critical projects or have someone with experience help you with the repair then you can learn how it is done properly

SICFabrications
06-16-2011, 09:29 PM
to add, if you only have an "ac" stick machine, you dont have the machine to handle this repair as well... albeit, there are some rods that have an "ac" acceptable coating, you arent going to get the penetration needed... seriously, heed these words and dont attempt this one on your own... take the truck to school and let the instructor use it as a teaching aid or go to a local welding shop and ask if they can show you how to properly make the repairs. i would gladly show you how and then stand over your shoulder and watch after some instruction, but there aint a fat chance that i will tell you how and what rids to use over an internet forum just for simple liability sake... i tell ya how, you dont do this properly and you drive down the road, truck breaks in half and you lose control, cross the median and hit a biker that happens to belong to the hell's angels, yer screwed and then i am screwed too....

please dont attempt this repair without someone with expertise giving you some hands on instruction first

beadboy
06-17-2011, 12:01 AM
thank you guys and i understand completly. I dont drive the truck on the road its no longer road worthy, just a mud bogger. I will have my dads friend weld it up. he is certified and has a better welder. or i'll have him show me what to do. thank you for the info guys i appericate it a lot.

tigqk
07-13-2011, 01:40 PM
glad to hear you heard the guys out, you have to know what the frame is welded with before you dive in and weld it and in alot of cases the frame will crack further than what is visiblely damaged, then keep fracturing.
good luck with the repair, you may have to replace it.

MSBRONCO
09-19-2011, 07:13 PM
You guys sound like topshelf hands to me,Great info!!

Gadget
09-19-2011, 08:01 PM
You guys sound like topshelf hands to me,Great info!!

There are no better than those two.