PDA
View Full Version :

Modified S45 torch for CNC cutting.

Gadget
06-15-2011, 05:13 PM
I modified an S45 plasma torch to a straight torch for CNC machine cutting. I think the photos are pretty self explanatory. The gunk on the torch is epoxie. I had an arc between the neg and pos section and used epoxy to seal it and prevent the arc.
When bending the copper tubing be very careful. The tube is threaded in and will break at the threads if you are not careful. Notice the wire terminal (yellow connector), this is a 10 gauge stranded pilot arc wire connected to the LP80 ground cable. I had to cut the connector off the tube and solder one that fit the hose from my LP80 to allow the proper cable/air connection.

samsberr
06-15-2011, 09:31 PM
That's quite the radical mod...
Does it work the same...

Gadget
06-16-2011, 07:14 AM
It uses the same process for firing as it did when in the S45 housing. It functions beautifully on the CNC table. I used a 10 gauge stranded pilot arc wire and in the video I absent mindedly forgot to connect the plasma ground. It still cut fine as you can see in the video. (kind of embarrassed to admit I forgot the ground though)

tigqk
06-17-2011, 01:06 AM
Looks like you took the guts out of your pistol grip and made yourself a torch.What you could do is possibly get some pvc tubing and use it for the body of your new torch for no other reason than asthetics, strenght and some safety, and pour a small amount polyester resin into the bottom to waterproof it and secure the fit,so it is easy to disasemble, and at the top do the same and use foam to holdback the resin. Know anyone that could make you an aluminum handle or trade for other work.

Gadget
06-17-2011, 07:23 AM
I would have done that but the center section of the torch has to be able to move up and down freely. That and the fact that I couldn't get the copper tube to bend enough to fit it in a PVC pipe. The tube broke at the threads when trying to get it close enough to enclose it in a tube.
There is plenty of strength to this mod. The hose is tightly clamped to the mounting bracket. The tip is tightly fitted into the 3/8" thick steel mount and held in tight by the thumbscrew. The blue plastic cover protects the unit for safety. Plus being on a CNC table you aren't likely to come in contact with it when it is in operation.

tigqk
06-17-2011, 11:07 PM
It would have to ground back to the machine to be a hazard right.

Gadget
06-18-2011, 05:40 AM
Little chance of that happening. The frame and Z axis housing is made of wood.