PDA
View Full Version :

SandBlaster Tips

ISKI
06-12-2011, 06:25 AM
I have an old Craftsman sandblaster that came with three ceramic tips. These lasted for around a year each. Then I went to Sears to get more, and since they don't stock jus the tip inserts I purchased a new sandblaster. This came with two tips. These lasted about 2 hours each. Should I purchase some from Sears on the Web, or should I go with something else as these 2 hour tips are junk.

Does anyone have a recomendation for a decent gun / tip?
Thanks

brucer
06-13-2011, 12:01 AM
i thought the heavy industrial sandblaster tips were carbide..

ISKI
06-13-2011, 04:57 AM
I have only ever used Craftsman since I was a kid. They were good. The new tips look like they have a very thin ceramic nozzel inside an aluminum cup. They are very inexpensive, but I would rather pay more and not have to keep getting new ones.

The industrial ones are very expensive, and I don't know what they are made of. I am wondering if a middle of the road tip exists that will last for at least a year of light duty work.

INSANITY
06-13-2011, 12:00 PM
Hey ISKI, I have these in my ebay watch list, I have not tried them yet but when my blaster needs a new tip I will be purchasing to try them out!

TUNGSTEN CARBIDE SANDBLAST SAND BLASTER NOZZLE - eBay (item 280434123879 end time Jun-28-11 08:36:52 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280434123879&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT)

tigqk
06-14-2011, 01:19 AM
Does your sandblaster use carbide inserts and ceramic nozzles, I have a tabletop draw through blaster and a small pot spot blaster the pot has carbide alone and the tabletop has carbide inserts and ceramic nozzles, what your best bet may be is to make a combination sand/soda blaster(out of old 20 or 10 gallon propane tank), can check out what eastwood has(buy the hose and gun) but I have found them pricy on everything.Also sandblasting or blasting anything thin for that matter warps steel and sheet metal, some say soda does not do, but that was said with steel shot and poly beads, soda may be easier on the tips, and most certainly better for paint prep.
Do you have any large commercial autobody suppliers nearby?Advance auto body supply?

JolietJames
09-22-2011, 06:52 PM
I use carbide for my blast cabinet. It was on there two years ago when I bought it and it was on for a year before I owned it. It still works great and I use silica sand not cinders or walnut shells. BTW most Craftsman hand tools are still made well and in the U.S. but anything with a cord is now imported junk. My Craftsman hammer drill lasted for 2 1/2 holes in my garage lol -what a joke. If the tools are made in Asia I will not pay more than HF's price for a similar item.