PDA
View Full Version :

Store bought CNC plasma table

Arcamm
05-17-2011, 08:29 PM
I know a lot of you guys have built your own CNC tables, but I'm leaning more toward a ready built unit. I need a minimum 4'x4' and would prefer something with a router option. Does anybody have any recommendations? I sure would appreciate it.

Charley Davidson
05-17-2011, 09:26 PM
You won't find a better unit than this for the money or better people to deal with.

It is a complete turnkey system including plasma cutter. Tell them I sent you.

Ross 615-290-6260

Kel Fab Creations
05-17-2011, 10:24 PM
I have a Torchmate and I think they are a great company with great products. They offer every option you could think of and they have turn key stuff as well as semi-DIY kits. Look them up at http://torchmate.com/ Tell them I sent ya.

Arcamm
05-17-2011, 10:39 PM
Which one is it?

You won't find a better unit than this for the money or better people to deal with.

It is a complete turnkey system including plasma cutter. Tell them I sent you.

Ross 615-290-6260

Charley Davidson
05-18-2011, 08:16 AM
Sorry forgot to put the link in
http://www.trucutcnc.com/

samsberr
05-18-2011, 12:52 PM
I have a Torchmate and I think they are a great company with great products. They offer every option you could think of and they have turn key stuff as well as semi-DIY kits. Look them up at Torchmate CNC plasma cutters, CNC cutting systems, CNC plasma tables, and CNC Routers. (http://torchmate.com/) Tell them I sent ya.

I'll second that one...
I called them for prints so I could build my water table ahead of time...
I was up and cutting the first day I had it...
Great system...

arandall
05-18-2011, 01:28 PM
Charley:
Can this be true? Pretty much a turn-key system for $1000?

Kel Fab Creations
05-18-2011, 01:31 PM
1000? i'll take 2. $10,000 is more like it.

Tritium
05-18-2011, 02:56 PM
Charley:

Art, you got me all excited till I clicked on the link.

Thurmond

samsberr
05-18-2011, 02:59 PM
Charley:
The hair just stood up on the back of my neck...
Till I read the next post...

Charley Davidson
05-18-2011, 03:08 PM
Where did you get $1000? I looked back at my post and didn't see a price at all ????

Tritium
05-18-2011, 03:14 PM
Yea, an extra zero sure crushes hopes of a fantastic deal.

Thurmond

atcig
05-18-2011, 08:15 PM
Art you're killing us!

arandall
05-19-2011, 12:05 PM
Where did you get $1000? I looked back at my post and didn't see a price at all ????

Charley:
Just wishful thinking. I followed the lilnk, the ad shows $9995, and the mind read $995.00.

JB4x4
05-20-2011, 05:41 AM
@Arcamm -

I have had really good luck with my Precision Plasma / CandCNC system. Granted, its not a true "bolt together" system, but building my own table and chasing wires saves a guy quite a bit of money.

JB

Arcamm
06-01-2011, 01:57 PM
Does yours have auto height control? I've read that is a "must have", especially if you are cutting thin metal what tends to curl or irregular surfaces.

@Arcamm -

I have had really good luck with my Precision Plasma / CandCNC system. Granted, its not a true "bolt together" system, but building my own table and chasing wires saves a guy quite a bit of money.

JB

Charley Davidson
06-01-2011, 02:56 PM
Does yours have auto height control? I've read that is a "must have", especially if you are cutting thin metal what tends to curl or irregular surfaces.

The one my buddy builds does, you really should give him a call Trucutcnc.com

JB4x4
06-01-2011, 09:32 PM
Digital Torch Height Control (DTCH) is included with the electronics package from CandCNC. The crazy thing was (and part of which sold me on the kit) was the fact that the hole electronics package was just over half the price of what some places get for just a THC "add-on"

Like I said though, its not plug and play, but knowing more about how everything works is a good thing in my opinion.

John

Arcamm
06-02-2011, 01:26 PM
I'll checkout Trucut and see what they have to offer. I'll check out CandCNC too. I did start this venture with the intent to build a table. I found the Torchmate forum and the factory seems to be really big about working directly with customers (like here). That's a big plus. They will support used machines too. I just wish I had a bigger bucket of money......

Tritium
06-02-2011, 09:21 PM
The one my buddy builds does, you really should give him a call Trucutcnc.com

Charlie I want one of those "BAD" 8O but getting a 10K purchase past the bookkeeper (wife) :evil:,well that would lead to a divorce I fear.:(

brucer
06-13-2011, 01:15 AM
ive looked at this extensively for about 2 months worth of research... thought about it enough to give me a headache at times...
you can build one way cheaper than you can buy one.... if you own a welder and a drillpress you can do it. i bought a nice bridgeport mill with plans of starting on one over the winter hopefully..

candcnc has the best most complete electronics kit by far.. first thing you have to decide on is if you want just a plasma, or you want a plasma/router......

i think a rack setup would be the way to go, easiest to maintain in the long run for a plasma only setup.. if you want to go plasma/router you would want to run a ballscrew type setup or a precision acme screw thread type machine... ballscrews are crazy expensive unless you can score some at auction, precision stainless acme would work real good, but still not cheap.... ideally i think the linear slides and ballscrews would be real nice but to expensive for a common builder on a budget..

when i build i have pretty much decided on the rack drive setup with 4 motors and dthc from candcnc, theres also another place that sells stuff up north somewhere but i've lost the link.. i'll see if i can find it.. i might have it saved on a flash drive..

Gadget
06-13-2011, 09:46 AM
I've toyed with the idea of a chain drive since the rack gears are quite expensive. I'm still thinking over options for G2 when I get around to it. Might go with a heavy geared belt instead of chain. That should be pretty tight with little backlash.

brucer
06-13-2011, 02:20 PM
the highend cnc plasma my friend scored at an auction (it was a Burny) it was chain drive with servos... it will cut a full piece of sheetmetal, i guess it would have to be just bigger than 5x10 to fit a full sheet... the servo was in the middle and it drove 2 ballscrews on the x axis, and this thing would very fast... the machine was retrofitted a few yrs back and we have all the old stuff, i posted pics of it on here i believe, i might go that route and use the acme screws instead of ballscrews..

http://www.cncrouterparts.com/extended-linear-carriage-with-abec-7-bearings-pi-35.htmli will more than likely use the skates like these for the gantry.

Extended Linear Carriage with ABEC 7 Bearings (http://www.cncrouterparts.com/extended-linear-carriage-with-abec-7-bearings-pi-35.html)

KHK
06-13-2011, 04:24 PM
Gear belt drive is the way to go!! They do not stretch, and backlash is not a problem. The cost is very low compared to ball screw, and it readily available. Think of it, gear belts are used on many autos for valve timing .

brucer
06-13-2011, 07:20 PM
the belts scare me, wouldnt be so bad on a plasma i guess...
i see my auto mechanic friend replacing them about every week at his shop.. seems like after about 100-150k mile they go bad, plus in an auto they run omni directional only.. on a plasma they switch direction and they are moving alot more mass/weight than some valves but they arent timing valves either, so it would be alot less critical in a plasma machine... ive seen engines get scattered because of timing belts breaking also..

the Burny cnc he had was servo driven from the center and the chain wrapped around the gear and had a idler arm with spring tensioner then the chain was connected to a ball screw on each side of the machine.. this machine was a big industrial machine, not one of the lil torchmate machines, i would guess the gantry would knock on 1000lbs if not more... the gantry was fitted with a oxy/acetylene torch, plasma, and center punch all on the same head.. it could also be fitted with a laser and also a waterjet.. i'll try to get some pics of it this week, the things a monster..

KHK
06-13-2011, 10:32 PM
the belts scare me, wouldnt be so bad on a plasma i guess...
i see my auto mechanic friend replacing them about every week at his shop.. seems like after about 100-150k mile they go bad, plus in an auto they run omni directional only.. on a plasma they switch direction and they are moving alot more mass/weight than some valves but they arent timing valves either, so it would be alot less critical in a plasma machine... ive seen engines get scattered because of timing belts breaking also..
!00-150k miles at 600-3500rpm and 180 deg F is not a bad maintence record. Scattered engine is dut to the zero valve clearence found on most import engines and not due to the belt breaking. If you have a zero valve clearence engine and the timing chain breaks the results are the same.
Oak cutout done with a router on my CNC

Drive belt X axis.

Two puley system, no idler pulley. The return puley is adajustable for belt tension.

The belts I used are very small and they do the job. I have used the table with a plasma and router with out a problem. If I were to build a larger table I would use larger belts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8-zI_6JzaM