PDA
View Full Version :

Want to trade for a welder.

Tritium
05-11-2011, 10:23 AM
I would love to buy a new welder but with a severe drought in my area and no chance for a crop this year it is not going to happen it would appear :(. I do have items to trade for a welder however. I would dearly love a Tig welder with most of the bells lights and whistles. I would like to be able to weld aluminum but it is not of utmost importance. Thin to thick stainless steel and mild steel are very important though. I would like a 180amp unit as a minimum but I guess beggars can't be as choosy ;). A wire welder is a second option but I would want a bigger unit (250A). Of course there is always a chance of winning the contest but I am not going to just post any random thought I have :???: so I can make the 125 post requirement, so qualifying for that option is not looking promising.

I have several items to trade such as old car parts (2 rear ends and drive line from model T or A fords), Old Tractors (MM 5 star and a propane powered farmall), An old late 40's model Dodge grain truck, Old 1940's Plymouth body (good glass and doors, engine block still installed). A lot of old farm implements (mostly 4 row). Hunting lease near 101W by 33N for deer, birds and hogs. A small quantity of precious metals (silver).

Thurmond

SICFabrications
05-11-2011, 10:46 PM
define the "boonies" of texas.... i live in central arkansas, although i dont have any mig machines up for grabs, i do have a synchrowave 200 miller tig/ stick machine. squarewave technology with pulse. it is a transformer based machine, so you will NEED some seriuos wiring to handle the bad boy AND freight will be a buggar, but i think we might be able to work out a deal....

rustycase
05-11-2011, 10:53 PM
T, your best bet for some kind of swap is your local craigslist.
Reason? The freight.

It looks like you got metal glue machines pretty well under control... what are you really looking for?

Seems to me, from your list, you can already do scratch start... more than that is really just frills.

...But they write books abt what I don't know !

Best
rc

Oops!
there's a deal for yah!

Tritium
05-11-2011, 11:05 PM
define the "boonies" of texas.... i live in central arkansas, although i dont have any mig machines up for grabs, i do have a synchrowave 200 miller tig/ stick machine. squarewave technology with pulse. it is a transformer based machine, so you will NEED some seriuos wiring to handle the bad boy AND freight will be a buggar, but i think we might be able to work out a deal....

I sent you a PM. Boonies defined: Zip 79370. Near Spur, Texas 70 miles due east of Lubbock. By the way the Syncrowave 200 is one of the machines I only dreamed about due to the cost from Miller and the total lack of them used in my part of the world. Wiring I have, single and 3 phase 200A service.

Thurmond

Tritium
05-12-2011, 10:08 AM
Thanks RC but the local Craigslist (and the Craigslist for 300 miles in any direction) has mainly engine driven welders or small overpriced wire welders. This part of the world doesn't have many Tig people it would seem. Mainly oil field welders.

I am stoked about the offer and possibility of a Syncrowave 200 from SICFabrications more than you can imagine.

Thurmond

gilly
05-12-2011, 10:30 AM
Thanks RC but the local Craigslist (and the Craigslist for 300 miles in any direction) has mainly engine driven welders or small overpriced wire welders. This part of the world doesn't have many Tig people it would seem. Mainly oil field welders.

I am stoked about the offer and possibility of a Syncrowave 200 from SICFabrications more than you can imagine.

Thurmond

Sync 200 is a very nice machine to have,and getting it from Sic = Win Win situation.

SICFabrications
05-12-2011, 06:12 PM
seems roughly a 10 to 12 hour drive... i am mainly interested in older motorbikes. triumphs, bsa, norton, harley etc... they aint gotta be running either, but would be a plus...

---------- Post added at 07:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 PM ----------

btw, thurmond, not trying to say anything bad about the bobcat, but the arc characteristics of the synchro vs the bobcat, there is nothing to compare, like the difference between the old chevy manza and the newest cvt cadillac

Tritium
05-12-2011, 06:20 PM
Snip: btw, thurmond, not trying to say anything bad about the bobcat,

I have just been trying to make do with what I already have but I have already realized that performance is marginally acceptable at best with my current equipment. The Bobcat can go to the fence corners that it was purchased to build and maintain and to the field to repair a plow that cannot be moved back to the shop.

Unfortunately I have 0 bikes of any kind or I would trade you in a second.

Thurmond

Tritium
05-13-2011, 09:05 PM
7 Syncrowave 250's listed on e-bay for approx. $200 each (school's replaced with newer ones). Some even with water cooling. Local Pick up ONLY :sad: in California. This is going to drive me insane!:twisted:

Thurmond

Tritium
05-15-2011, 08:24 PM
Still looking, unfortunately. And adding to the trade list. Lapidary Saws (6" to 18") and Tumblers (lots of loretone 12 pounders), Some Grinders and polishers. Also about 800 lbs of "Apache tears". Sorry I don't even have a picture of an old motorcycle :grin:.

Thurmond

SICFabrications
05-15-2011, 08:36 PM
spoke with the boys at the shop, thurmond, no one is interested in the tractors, the old truck or the metals.... sorry, man.

Tritium
05-15-2011, 09:22 PM
spoke with the boys at the shop, thurmond, no one is interested in the tractors, the old truck or the metals.... sorry, man.

Not a problem. I appreciate your time in the matter. I am seeing what I can cash out (difficult in a very rural area) since it is universal and not so limited like a trade.

Thurmond

Tritium
05-16-2011, 02:43 PM
Adding for Trade a 16' Coleman Ram-X White Water Canoe and a 3HP Minn-Kota Motor for it. Also a Sig Mosquito .22LR Semi-Auto Pistol, Black Slide, Silver Receiver and a Hi-Point Green Camo Model JCP .40 S&W.

Thurmond

KHK
05-17-2011, 11:13 AM
I have a 250pi and will trade it for $1599.99 USD.......HA!

rustycase
05-17-2011, 11:30 AM
Sounds like ur gettin more serious, Thurmond!

...How do you like that hi-point 40?
Ugly shape, but I heard they worked pretty well... do u find so?
rc

Tritium
05-17-2011, 12:54 PM
Sounds like ur gettin more serious, Thurmond!

...How do you like that hi-point 40?
Ugly shape, but I heard they worked pretty well... do u find so?
rc

Works good but it is the ugliest gun 8O I have ever owned. Now adding an early 60's Rambler, complete, needs rubber and interior and a paint job. Was running without any problems when parked in the pasture.

Thurmond

Bluesman
05-17-2011, 01:32 PM
Dude, you could probably scrounge up enough scrap and stuff out of your pastures or ask your neighbors to let you "clean" up their land for them and be able to outright buy a dang welder. I know the guns, boat and minn kota would go over well in these parts. As well as the ol tractors, but you are a long way from MS.

---------- Post added at 02:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 PM ----------

What the hell is apache tears?

Tritium
05-17-2011, 02:35 PM
Dude, you could probably scrounge up enough scrap and stuff out of your pastures or ask your neighbors to let you "clean" up their land for them and be able to outright buy a dang welder. I know the guns, boat and minn kota would go over well in these parts. As well as the ol tractors, but you are a long way from MS.

---------- Post added at 02:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 PM ----------

What the hell is apache tears?

I am working on the scrap end of things. Done over 5K since February but used for operating expenses. Takes nearly $100 of gas and eats to get to the scrap buyer and back.

Obsidian nodules. apache tears - Google Search (http://www.google.com/search?q=apache+tears&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a)

Thurmond

Tritium
05-18-2011, 03:51 PM
I am in less need for a welder. Scrapped out some old gold class rings today and picked up a Hobart Handler 187 on sale :grin: at Tractor Supply while I was buying cattle cubes today.

Thurmond

---------- Post added at 04:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 PM ----------

I have a 250pi and will trade it for $1599.99 USD.......HA!

Let me sell some more scrap metal and get back to you on that!

Thurmond

rustycase
05-18-2011, 06:16 PM
I know of some production shops that use the low dollar hobart gear... it works for them!
rc

Tritium
05-18-2011, 08:44 PM
I know of some production shops that use the low dollar hobart gear... it works for them!
rc

It will definitely work in the field with Flux core where I can't get something back to the shop and don't want to use stick on the Bobcat (I am currently better with wire) and it was a LOT cheaper option than a miller suitcase add on for the Bobcat plus it gives some aluminum capability for irrigation pipe repairs.

Thurmond

Tritium
06-07-2011, 04:59 PM
Well since I did not win the contest :sad: I am STILL LOOKING for a trade!

Thurmond

mountain eagle
06-08-2011, 08:55 AM
Since I didn't win I'll have to either learn how to scratch start with copper or get my econotig fixed........ sigh.

Tritium
06-10-2011, 06:38 PM
From what I read the Econotig is a good welder.

Thurmond

mountain eagle
06-11-2011, 12:36 PM
From what I read the Econotig is a good welder.

Thurmond

Seems to be, it's 17 years old and had worked like a charm until the arc start went out. $513 to replace the board from Miller and $215 or so to send the board out for repair..... Just hasn't been a priority as I've mostly been using the mig......

Tritium
06-11-2011, 05:29 PM
Seems to be, it's 17 years old and had worked like a charm until the arc start went out. $513 to replace the board from Miller and $215 or so to send the board out for repair..... Just hasn't been a priority as I've mostly been using the mig......

You might be able to replace all the parts on a board for that price unless it burned (but I would have to see the board to determine that). I know what you mean about the Mig. My mig is just so easy to use and get a decent looking bead even though I am a rank amateur at welding. I never knew how easy it was till I recently got my Hobart Handler 187. My old inherited Harbor Freight unit was barely acceptable but it worked better when I adapted it to my Bobcat as a power source. Still it was nowhere as easy to use as the Hobart.

Thurmond

brucer
06-13-2011, 10:23 PM
look for a used Thermal Arc arcmaster tsw185... thermal arc puts out some nice machines and you rarely see anyone having problems with them.