View Full Version :

esab 7018 rod

PWTEngineering
05-08-2011, 12:07 AM
any comments good or bad?
came across a really good deal but never used it before so i'm asking

odleo
05-08-2011, 12:26 PM
I cant vote in this poll as I have never used ESAB 7018's but I like Hobart's 7018 rods. Might have to try the Easb depending on what others post here

rustycase
05-08-2011, 03:58 PM
Esab is among the oldest, and highly considered names in the welding biz.
It should be a good product.

What you might do is google up that place that sells rod ovens and review what they have to say... some rod can't be brought back up to snuff once it gets damp, or old.
How is the packaging on your 'good deal' ?
Is it hermetically sealed?

Good luck
rc

PWTEngineering
05-08-2011, 07:27 PM
Esab is among the oldest, and highly considered names in the welding biz.
It should be a good product.

What you might do is google up that place that sells rod ovens and review what they have to say... some rod can't be brought back up to snuff once it gets damp, or old.
How is the packaging on your 'good deal' ?
Is it hermetically sealed?

Good luck
rc
never opened

Tritium
05-08-2011, 07:38 PM
I found a link on their site for free samples but have not received mine yet. I will comment on it when I do.

Thurmond

SICFabrications
05-08-2011, 08:32 PM
it all depends on which 7018 from esab you are referring to.... the atom arc's are amazing with better puddle control out of position and easier slag removal than the hobart counterpart. i wont even comment on lincoln's excaliburs, you wont find those in my shop unless someone gave them to me, then i will "re-gift" them to someone else.... all in all, i choose atom arc over hobart, but they are price prohibitive

Tritium
05-17-2011, 03:55 PM
I am still waiting on my Atom Arc 7018 sample. I don't think they actually sent it. Their rep got my answering machine saying they wanted to verify my address since they had has a lot of returned packages for bad addresses. I called and got her voice mail and told her she had the correct address but I think the entire thing was a ploy for their reps to talk to folks by phone.

Thurmond

WookieWelding
05-20-2011, 12:37 AM
there atom arc 7018 h4r is a nice rod i have ran a few 100 pounds of it
i am with sic on the lincoln excaliber dont like it at all

Tritium
05-24-2011, 04:18 PM
I finally received my sample of Atom Arc 7018 H4R rods today. Nice pack of 12 1/8"rods. Since today's humidity is 2% they are plenty dry too. I will report back after some usage.

Thurmond

poodle
04-04-2012, 10:20 PM
Little late on this one but I like Atom Arc better than any other brand I have used. Let the guys at work talk me into some Lincoln Excalibur and was not impressed. The Atom Arc is even a little cheaper at my LWS.

Bluesman
04-05-2012, 08:26 AM
We have some of them that have that German sounding name. Don't know right off the exact brand but they are one smooth burning rod.

But, to be honest with you I have never met a 7018 I didn't like... :)