PDA
View Full Version :

Grinding and cleaning disks?

mountain eagle
04-21-2011, 01:48 PM
So I've finally been working on stuff and am using the disks I have on hand for grinding and cleaning. The were all bought with no real thought behind them other than "hey, this should work".

Anyone want to give their view on which types of products should be used when? Maybe even pictures since I don't know the proper names of the various types of wheels, disks, and sanders......

The straight bristled wire wheel kept spitting out wires...... ouch.

Newman180
04-21-2011, 06:57 PM
The flap disc's for angle grinders seem to work real well. You can get them pretty cheap from HF, but they don't seem to have bite as the equivalent Dewalt. Could be my inexperience.

odleo
04-21-2011, 08:22 PM
Newman180, Becareful with the HF disk, I have grenaded several disk lately. I like the norton's a freind gave me. The hve a good bite.

Mountain Eagle Wire wheels are nice but they do throw the wire. I have been looking at getting some encapsulated wire wheels. They use them in the maintenace department where I work and they like them.

rustycase
04-21-2011, 11:25 PM
The Radnor disks are the best I've used...

Lol... As Leo said, the HF stuff will work, maybe... and no telling when it will go south!

...if a straight wired disk is loosing bristles too fast, it may be the wrong application for it... use a disk with coarser wire and don't press it down so hard to the work surface.
Then yah got twisty strands, and knotted twisty strands...

One day I'd like to go in and have em box up half dozen of each so I could have em all on hand to use the right thing when it was waranted...
And a separate set for use on stainless! :-)

Good luck
rc

ISKI
04-22-2011, 07:00 PM
This is one place where you get what you pay for. I use SAIC disks and cut off wheels when I need the job done right. These are the best available at the local Air Gas supply. The Harbor Freight equivalents which I have also used don't last long and are slow to cut or clean. If I use a cheap disk on my good Milwaukee grinder it could explode. If I use the same disks on my inexpensive grinder it won't. The Milwaukee spins much faster, and I do not think that the inexpensive disks are speed rated properly. For sand paper I also use a very aggressive grit for removing paint etc as it is almost self cleaning. I use Fine sand paper or emery cloth for cleaning up a weld joint which I don't want the metal thickness to get worn down. The word on the street is that real men use #2 Grit which never clogs.

rustycase
04-22-2011, 07:58 PM
+1
I have been told that SAIC is top of the line.
...I'm just a skinflint!
rc

odleo
04-22-2011, 10:13 PM
Rusty That makes 2 on skinflint, I am one too

mountain eagle
04-23-2011, 01:43 AM
Good to know what to look for...... I'll have to go look at the cheap and quality options and see how cheap I'm feeling..........

rustycase
04-23-2011, 11:55 AM
ME, I am one of those who believes in having backups for just abt everything... which is why my pile is pretty big!
...I try to buy the best quality I can, but don't have many reservations about buying discount products to have the backups that may be necessary to get a job done.
That guy Murphy is always turnin up !
Best
rc

Nick
04-24-2011, 03:31 AM
I've burnt through quite a few dewalt 60grit discs on a buddy's grinder. My experience - They choke at the drop of a hat. Put them to leaded paint and they fail like the French at defending their borders. I've actually done better sanding a 2x4, bolting in a handle, and spray gluing a sheet of 40-grit to it. (My neighbors will attest. Nights of me out in the driveway with halogens at 3am in the middle of summer vs making noise should sum it up. :mrgreen:

kc0kfg
02-17-2013, 07:21 PM
I admit some of my grinders are H/F but the wheels I use are the best I can afford, I use 3M flap wheels, and dewalt Cut off wheels and grinding wheels.

Knock on wood, :doh2 I have not had any issues with H/F wheels when i have used them I just find they wear very fast.

Brian kc0kfg

WookieWelding
02-17-2013, 09:24 PM
i prefer Sait or Perferd grinding consumables
stuff from HF is Junk
the home depot diablo steel demon flap wheels are pretty decent and last

undercut
02-18-2013, 12:29 AM
I always have a hard time finding good grinder consumables that wear long and perform well. I'll have to give some of the products mentioned in this thread a try. It's a good thing I didn't buy large quantities of the things I've purchased in the past.

tigqk
02-18-2013, 01:14 AM
If all you have is one or two grinders then you may be best of with a pak of zipf disks for grinding cutoff work, alot of guys that is all they use, they are combination cutoff wheels grinder disk and are excellant time savers.Keeps a sanding disc on any other grinder, grinders have gotten so cheap I keep a grinder for every disk I use.

undercut
02-19-2013, 12:07 AM
If all you have is one or two grinders then you may be best of with a pak of zipf disks for grinding cutoff work, alot of guys that is all they use, they are combination cutoff wheels grinder disk and are excellant time savers.Keeps a sanding disc on any other grinder, grinders have gotten so cheap I keep a grinder for every disk I use.

I'm pretty frugal but you are right, grinders are so cheap now it doesn't make sense to waste time changing disks if you can pick up a couple of inexpensive grinders for light duty use.

roberts56
02-22-2013, 07:30 PM
Yeah, now a days grinders have become cheap BUT..... be careful of buying those cheapo grinders, it may not last you long. Remember, you get what you pay for, be more wiser specially if you will be spending some hard earned money.

just my 0.2 cents worth.

undercut
02-22-2013, 09:52 PM
Yeah, now a days grinders have become cheap BUT..... be careful of buying those cheapo grinders, it may not last you long. Remember, you get what you pay for, be more wiser specially if you will be spending some hard earned money.

just my 0.2 cents worth.

Good advice worth sharing. I mentioned light duty use and meant it! I only use my cheaper grinders for the really light stuff.

wagonpower
10-11-2013, 12:57 PM
My fav for clean-up, especially hot rolled steel scale is what is known as a clean and strip disc. Look like these..

Scotch-Brite Clean and Strip XT Disc TN Quick Change, 4-1/2 in x 5/8 in-11 S XCS - Shop3M (http://www.shop3m.com/scotch-brite-clean-and-strip-xt-disc-tn-quick-change-4-1-2-in-x-5-8-in-11-s-xcs.html)

Grinders are cheap here and I run about four....... cut, grind, wire and the one above. Life is easy doing it this way.

Green machinist
01-02-2014, 05:54 AM
I think that the dewalt and metabo cut-off disks work well and last a good while. I have had the cheap ones from hf and they like to explode. And that hurts. Make sure your wearing proper ppe. Ie safety glasses and a face shield

Logosweld
04-21-2014, 10:36 AM
Grinding and cleaning removes spot weld and deep scratches,for surface conditioning fine finishing and polishing

tackit
04-21-2014, 01:28 PM
I have been using www.abrasives4sale.com (http://www.abrasives4sale.com) consumables for probably near 10 years. They are industrial grade products.

Ryantowry81
04-22-2014, 01:00 PM
i have recently been using more and more of the Roloc 3m sanding discs instead of the flapper wheels, i find they work better and are cheaper to replace.

Logosweld
05-29-2014, 09:22 AM
The flap disc's for angle grinders seem to work real well. You can get them pretty cheap from HF, but they don't seem to have bite as the equivalent Dewalt. Could be my inexperience.
this look good for grinding and cleaning disks