PDA
View Full Version :

Flashed myself, what to expect?

oneeyedmac
04-17-2011, 09:12 PM
So I'm new at this and I made an error today. I was practising stick welding with my new TigWeld 200 and it was going pretty good. I had safety glasses on and my new miler performance series helmet. I started a weld and thought to myself "I wonder why that's so bright?". About when I got to the word bright I realized I hadn't flipped my helmet down. So I only have one eye and none to spare. Is there anything I should expect to happen because of this? Right now my eye kind of aches a bit and I have a headache starting. The flash was a little over an hour ago.

Yet again, I feel like an idiot. I'm wondering if this old dog should be trying to learn new tricks.

Gadget
04-17-2011, 09:20 PM
A moderate burn will feel a bit like sand in your eyes. How long did the flash last? It's like a sundburn, the longer the exposure the more the damage.

oneeyedmac
04-17-2011, 09:21 PM
I'd guess 3-5 seconds

Gadget
04-18-2011, 09:02 AM
Probably will have some irritation the next morning but I don't think you did any serious damage.
I worked on a two man MIG production welding team back in the 70's. Every time you got a new partner you would wake up with the sand in your eyes feeling the next morning until you got to know your partners moves. I can still see today.

rustycase
04-18-2011, 12:12 PM
A very good thing to avoid...
Damage can be instantaneous, and cumulative.
At the least you'll end up with 'holes' in your vision. NOT good !
Practice a standard routine when welding and you may avoid problems... would be my suggestion.
rc

Charley Davidson
04-18-2011, 01:19 PM
I think as long as you just flash yourself & not others you shouldn't expect the cops at your door.

SICFabrications
04-18-2011, 01:25 PM
lmao @ charley.... get back to work

---------- Post added at 02:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:22 PM ----------

blink.... the eyedrops that are about 10 bucks per bottle from wal-mart... bag of frozen hashbrowns..... the combo of those 2 have cured many, many, many nights of painful eye burns...

the starches int he potatoes will pull the burn outta yer eyes, the cold from them being frozen will help with swelling and pain and the blink eyedrops make more tears for ya to help wash the funk out..... dont use visine tho, that just makes it worse..

no worries, if welding flash created permanent damage, there would be millions of blind welders out n about including myself

oneeyedmac
04-18-2011, 02:13 PM
It seems to be OK. I tend to get nervous about my one eye. It aches a bit and it dry and scratchy this morning with a few more eye boogers than usual but nothing serious at all. THanks for the replies, I do appreciate them.

rustycase
04-18-2011, 04:29 PM
SICF, I DO know a buncha old-time welders who can't see well anymore.

People tend to get reckless when doing something repetitive... it'll getcha if ur not careful.

LOL ...and the oldest welders I know say their chest Xrays look like they were hit with a scattergun blast! LOL

rc

d4ve
04-19-2011, 08:04 PM
I was working with a contract welder at the commercial office we are in the middle of constructing, bs'ing with my apprentice about how when I slowly move my eyes to the spot where he is welding it doesnt bother me a lot. After the welder finished his piece he asked how long I was watching his weld, about 5 to 10 seconds I say. He gets a real serious look on his face and starts telling me about one guy he worked with who ended up with blisters on his eyes and so much discharge that his eyes were glued shut and he had to take 3 days off. I end up going home feeling pretty nervous that I am going to get serious case of welders flash, I have the eye drops out as a preventative, I am taking it nice and easy all evening worried that I am going to wake up tomorrow in serious pain. Turns out no problem wake up with a little extra junk in my eyes, no pain, and feeling great. Next time I see the welder I have to ask him, "Were you just playing with me about that flash last week?" "Yup", he says, "I just wanted to make you think a little more about staring at bright lights next time."

I did learn my lesson how ever due to his mocking. Watching the welder with out proper protection is pretty stupid, but a few seconds every now and a again shouldn't blind you. The wire wheel will however screw your face right up.

Dave

SICFabrications
04-19-2011, 08:25 PM
SICF, I DO know a buncha old-time welders who can't see well anymore.

i know a pile of old machinists that cant see anymore, i also know a large number of computer guru's that cant see, heck, i know lots of old people that cant see anymore.... take it into perspective...... just sayin...

oneeyedmac
04-19-2011, 08:46 PM
I know some people that make me WISH I was blind.

d4ve
04-19-2011, 10:17 PM
I just checked out your web site Oneeye. Made me all excited for gopher hunting up here in Alberta, the season is just starting and I have yet to get the good old .22 out. Your site makes me want to put together a sweet .223 and then takes some time to learn to reach out and touch those things, long range style. Everything I have read on that surgeon equipment makes me drool.

rustycase
04-19-2011, 10:29 PM
OK SCIF... want me to say You Win ?
Go ahead, you be the winner! LoL

I'm not near the welder most of you are, and may never get to the capability of many of you.
But I've spent many years around the sparks, off and on...

I've tried to teach myself a habit of, whenever a welder is working near me, I get closer to him, and turn my back to him. That way I'm NOT tempted to LOOK !
We're ALL tempted to look at something arky and sparky !
So I do my best to keep turned the opposite way.

and yah... I can't hardly see squat anymore, especially w/o my spectacles.

Best
rc

WookieWelding
04-20-2011, 12:36 AM
I think as long as you just flash yourself & not others you shouldn't expect the cops at your door.
and dont have to register as a sex offender

Charley Davidson
04-20-2011, 08:14 AM
and dont have to register as a sex offender

Yeah but it would be cool to have one of those signs for your front yard about Halloween time lol

oneeyedmac
04-20-2011, 09:58 AM
Mom told me if I flashed myself too much I would go blind. I just did it until I lost one eye though.

Thanks for the kind commetns Dave. I have a good friend in Fort Mac in Alberta and I'm going to try to get up for deer this fall. Money is tight though.