PDA
View Full Version :

Got my new 50i yesterday

wdrees
03-31-2011, 01:39 AM
Just got my new 50i yesterday and of course tried it out as soon as I got it all hooked up. Cur some 1/4" and 1/2" steel and despite my horrible technique, turned out fine. Then I tried a hunk of 1" stuff I had laying around and I think I cooked the black part on the tip of the gun. I will have to call Simon and order some more. I also tried some 1/4" aluminum. What a mess, very jagged and rough cut, also looked like it spattered all over. Is there a trick to cutting aluminum... Maybe have to clean it before cutting to remove the oxide... Just guessing. Any help would be appreciated.

ISKI
03-31-2011, 08:37 AM
You are correct about cleaning the aluminum. Wash rinse dry, scotch bright. Also if you use your shielding gas from your TIG or MIG it is supposed to help (I have never tired this myself, but supposedly Argon/Hydrogen mix is best). I usually cut mild steel, but will have to try to cut some aluminum with my new machine just to see how it works. I do know that the power vs the speed is important and 1/4 inch aluminum takes a lot of power.

gilly
03-31-2011, 09:34 AM
You are correct about cleaning the aluminum. Wash rinse dry, scotch bright. Also if you use your shielding gas from your TIG or MIG it is supposed to help (I have never tired this myself, but supposedly Argon/Hydrogen mix is best). I usually cut mild steel, but will have to try to cut some aluminum with my new machine just to see how it works. I do know that the power vs the speed is important and 1/4 inch aluminum takes a lot of power.

So you are saying that you need to prep Aluminum to cut it the same as you would to weld it,except add the Hydrogen?

KHK
03-31-2011, 10:18 AM
I cut some AL a long time ago, no prep, air was used. I was looking at different air pressures. I have a 200pi here are some results.
1/8 AL
1/4 AL

ISKI
03-31-2011, 03:28 PM
Gilly, I clean the area as I was told to do this by a retired welder. He also suggested using argon/hydrogen for best results. I have never tried this.

Keith thanks for the comparisons.

Kel Fab Creations
03-31-2011, 04:27 PM
here's some 3/16 i cut with my 60i. i dusted it off but that was it.

http://www.longevity-inc.com/forum/gallery/files/2/6/9/4/imag0484.jpg
http://www.longevity-inc.com/forum/gallery/files/2/6/9/4/imag0488_493582.jpg

KHK
03-31-2011, 05:03 PM
That looks very good. I think the the type of AL makes a big difference in the finished product.

ISKI
03-31-2011, 05:05 PM
Nice plate. Kel Fabs, did you just run it on the CNC, or did you have tweek everything to get it to work so well?
PS: that is one stout looking suspension lift.