PDA
View Full Version :

Torch height Controll

KHK
03-29-2011, 12:20 PM
I had some SS from a scraped microwave oven. So I thought that I would make a sign. I cut the SS into usable pieces. Got out the cad program,designed a sign to the max size.
Set up the CNC table and proceeded to make the cuts.

The SS is .030 thick. The CNC does not have a THC.

Work not connected to cutter!! Cut with pilot arc only. Operator ERROR!!

With such thin material the warp age was extreme. A THC would have made things better for sure, but the size of the lettering also makes a difference. the letters are 1.25 in high which is to small. Maybe with 2 in high letters I would have had a chance for success.
LIVE AND LEARN!!!

Gadget
03-29-2011, 12:22 PM
I've done cuts with only the pilot wire too Keith. It doesn't work too well. ;-)

ISKI
03-29-2011, 01:00 PM
What is the THC, Total Height Control?)

KHK
03-29-2011, 03:18 PM
What is the THC, Total Height Control?)

Torch Height Controll It keeps the distance from the torch tip to the work constant. Light gage metal warps quite a bit when heated.

Kel Fab Creations
03-29-2011, 09:51 PM
So are u gonna make a make an automatic volt height control? The torchmate unit is nice but expensive. I'd like to make my own but it takes a pretty extensive knowledge on custom computer chips and that is little out of my hands. I am working on homemade plate marker right now though.

Charley Davidson
03-30-2011, 12:25 AM
Call my buddy Ross at Truecut he builds a really nice THC www.truecutcnc.com I think his contact info is on his web site, tell him I sent you.

atcig
03-30-2011, 12:40 AM
Try this link
http://trucutcnc.com/contact.html

Charley Davidson
03-30-2011, 12:57 AM

ISKI
03-30-2011, 08:24 AM
Torch Height control, Ok, I get it. Sounds like a great feature. I can see that with fine geometries, any up down movement will also have a little side to side wander.
I wonder if you clamp the thin work between four plates at the top and the bottom, then put a small stretching force one for each pair ,(side to side, top to bottom), if this would keep things from warping? Or have a flat plate frame to hold the work like a sandwiched picture frame might help or might not. Has anyone tried this?

I also wonder if you cut one letter, then stop and wait, let things cool, then cut the next letter if this would help or just take longer?

Gadget
03-30-2011, 08:37 AM
Stainless is notorious for warping. The biggest problem with warpage is the higher the bubble the more likely you are to drag the tip. The lower the depression the wider the kerf until at some point you don't get a complete cut. I don't think trying to stretch the work will help much but a water table will keep things fairly flat since the metal keeps a more uniform temp.

ISKI
03-30-2011, 09:08 AM
Gadget, that makes sense.
One other crazy thought is that if you preheat the thin stainless, the additional cut heat may have less of an effect. I can see that it could cool while setting up the cut so maybe one could put a propane or electric or heat-lamp heater under the work or hit it with a torch (say map just prior to cutting). If nothing else, one would have more experience with what not to do;)

KHK
03-30-2011, 01:31 PM
When I cut the signs I actually had stretched the SS using the material holder and a hammer, I got it as tight as I could. I do not think that it helped.

ISKI
03-30-2011, 01:38 PM
I usually cut simple shapes on 1/8th to 3/8th material so I'm just shooting in the dark. I'm going to say that Gadget is right that keeping it cool with a water table is the answer. At the moment I'm just looking for answers that I may use. With luck I'll get back onto my CNC table build and start the next learning about this process this summer.

Kel Fab Creations
03-31-2011, 04:17 PM
Call my buddy Ross at Truecut he builds a really nice THC www.truecutcnc.com I think his contact info is on his web site, tell him I sent you.

the problem with that is that he sets his stuff up for Mach 3. Torchmate driver software is totally different.

Charley Davidson
03-31-2011, 07:36 PM
Did you call him?

ISKI
04-01-2011, 09:54 AM
Opp's again.

Kel Fab Creations
04-04-2011, 10:52 PM
Did you call him?

Sorry for the slow response. No I didn't call him yet as I don't have the money for it yet but I'll be sure to give him a call when I get some money saved up for it.

Charley Davidson
04-04-2011, 11:28 PM
Sorry for the slow response. No I didn't call him yet as I don't have the money for it yet but I'll be sure to give him a call when I get some money saved up for it.

I would call him now and see if he does or can build what you need, his prices are stupid low.