PDA
View Full Version :

stick weldng aluminum

old97
03-28-2011, 07:40 PM
any tips? I have no clue.

KHK
03-28-2011, 08:03 PM
I did some stick on AL about 20 years ago with poor results. I also welded some AL with a OA torch, that worked purity good. That said I am afraid that any help I could provide would be out of date, and blurred in my memory.

SICFabrications
03-28-2011, 09:22 PM
any tips?

yep....... dont...... tig or mig and even then you gonna have a difficult time with it. there are aluminum stick rods, ive used them and this is the brutal truth.... the welds laid down with aluminum stick rods are neither aesthetic, not structural.... not strong and i dont care what ya do, it AINT pretty

old97
03-28-2011, 09:39 PM
nuff said, thank you

rustycase
04-19-2011, 10:51 AM
Did anyone try an acid wash on the Al after solvent cleaning AND pre-heating before using the aluminum rod?
rc

SICFabrications
04-19-2011, 08:35 PM
acid wash after solvent cleaning? define solvent, and also define which acid your talking about, please?

i will dip the metal into caustic soda, then rinse in clean water then dip it again into sulfuric acid (for etching) then rinse then dip it again into an alodine solution and rinse again, then hit it with acetone and rubbing alcohol and a hand wire brush made of stainless steel and this would be a typical day for welding aluminum that has to meet nuclear specs at my shop............. that good enough?

anusha
07-17-2014, 11:36 PM
1) It works best if you can run beads that are flat, horizontal, or vertical.
2) Use a pretty short arc length & nearly vertical rod angle.
3) Remember that both "feeding" the rod & moving along the bead path will be faster than regular mild steel rods.
4) It's best to use DC versus AC.
5) Stick aluminum can also be used for cast aluminum jobs.
6) Also, cleaning the weld areas will help you get better weld results.
7) If you're using aluminum MIG wire, it really is softer & more difficult to feed. (If you're doing large projects, you may need to get an "aluminum feeding kit")
8) Settings for MIG or stick will need to be lower than equivalent steel sizes.
9) When loading the wire spool, DON'T let go of the end before it's locked into the drive roller assembly! (If the spool gets unraveled, it may not feed right)
10) Set the drive roll assembly tension so that the wire feeds without slippage.
11) Keep the whole wire guide tube & gun reasonably straight to improve wire feed.

Cope
07-18-2014, 08:12 AM
A big problem is that Aluminum doesn't let you see the puddle like steel. I have an Alcoa Aluminum welding book from the 1950s; it is interesting to read, but there isn't a practical reason IMO for Al stick any longer.