PDA
View Full Version :

Trouble with the new machine ! (Colossal Tech Super 200P)

rustycase
03-15-2011, 05:25 AM
I have received the new machine. (Colossal Tech Super 200P) Very pleased with it's appearance, and have opened the cover to inspect innards for any loose connections from shipping.
Everything looked great, and most connectors were hot glued to prevent accidental dislocation.
One of the control knobs does not seem quite up to snuff, and I notified the distributor of a possible problem with it, by email.
...I ran a new 220v 30a dedicated circuit for the machine. Only 50ft from the main service panel, so there should be no voltage drop issues.
Powered the machine up and got a digital display and fans are working. HF toggles on and off.
...Next day I got the argon bottle plumbed and the torch and foot pedal hooked up.

Glitch in the matrix.

Current will not adjust in the TIG function and gas valve will not shut off once it is triggered. Must switch over to MMA for the gas to shut off. NOT good.

Emailed the distributor for assistance and Paypal, to get on the log that I was experiencing a problem from the gate.
I watched as the big brown driver carried the box GINGERLY from his truck to my dolly in the driveway, and there were no marks whatever upon the carton.

My first test of the unit, attempting to TIG weld some 18g SS at low amperage was spectacular. 200amps DCEN flat out blows holes in thin sheet!

That's when I determined the foot pedal was NOT going to allow me to set amperage.
I disconnected it and tried from the main panel, using the torch mounted switch only.
Another spectacular failure.

I hope to resolve this quickly.

Someone inquired about my experience... Many moons ago, when I worked as a cummins mechanic on construction trucks I did some maintenance and repair welding, and a small amount of TIG work under supervision fabricating some custom turbo manifolds for some of the trucks we worked on... Back then, some of the Owner Operators really liked pumping up the horsepower !

Years later I did a small amount of TIG work with a monstrous Linde machine that had it's own wheels and a tow bar to move it within the shop. At that time I was repairing broken motorcycle cases before we did the machine work on them.

Basically, I'm a beginner, with a little knowledge.

I will only be using the machine for hobby projects and light repairs to get it to pay for itself. This is a bit of a setback, and any number of people are watching to see how the problem is resolved. I haven't yet taken any flak !
rc

Gadget
03-15-2011, 09:20 AM
Rusty,
Sorry to hear you are having problems. I hope you get it resolved quickly.

Dan

KHK
03-16-2011, 12:45 AM
It will be fun after the problems are solved..

gilly
03-16-2011, 10:26 AM
Hope you have good luck with your new machine.

rustycase
03-16-2011, 10:41 AM
Thanks for all the good wishes. I appreciate.

...Gilly... THAT avatar is downright SCARY!
rc

180guy
03-23-2011, 04:39 PM
Did you get everything figured out?

rustycase
03-23-2011, 05:48 PM
We're still working on it, 180guy.... Thanks for asking!
Got an email from the marketer saying the part had arrived from China, and would be forwarded here shortly.
I repaired the transposed wires in the footpedal connector and it is now functioning as it should.
So far, the factory tech is batting 100 on long distance diagnostics!
Hopefully this will all be resolved soon and I can get some projects done.
Best
rc

Charley Davidson
03-23-2011, 06:55 PM
Wouldn't it save time, money & face if they pre tested each machine and fixed any issues before it went out to the customer?

rustycase
03-23-2011, 08:43 PM
Hey Charley,

Well, I think it might save time, especially on my part, if it had been tested through all cycles before shipping.

The problem has actually cost me money, for wasted argon, and a few small projects I missed out on.

Face?
Well, most people think I'm kinda funny lookin' anyway... :lol:
My bride, who sprung for this new tool, is sure I look like an idiot for buying a new machine when the economy is so bad. I just gotta take the risk that it will function well enough to pay for itself and bring in some extra over a period of time.

Charley, I DID hear mention of machines shipped from the Orient that were damaged while in transit. Some had noticeable damage to the carton, others were damaged internally from shock or vibration which caused connections to come loose.

The box we received was in nearly excellent condition when I met the Big Brown driver in our driveway with our dolly.
Everything was packed well enough, and all there.
First thing I did was pop the cover off the machine and have a look at the internals.
... and connections !

Everything inside looked stout, and orderly.
Two M4 case mounting screws lost their threads when removed, and I found one chassis ground wire that I felt could be rotated a few degrees, for less possibility of a problem in extended service... so I loosened the screw and moved it over a tad.

Charley, every single multi-wire connector in the entire machine had been safety anchored with a lite application of hot glue to prevent it fom coming out accidentally !
I was very surprised !

One odd thing, internally... There was a very light layer of dust upon one support panel of the chassis, as there also was upon one side of the foot pedal, which was packed, (and sealed), in a separate box within the large carton.
I might think it was evidence that at least some of the inventory had set within a storeroom for an extended period of time, even before the machine was assembled.
The entire machine came packed with some foam blocks and was within a large plastic bag within the large cardboard box, so the dust did NOT come from transit.
...Interesting...

The machine functions flawlessly in the MMA mode.
Perhaps that is the only function that was tested???

The gas solenoid control fails when TIG or Plasma cut mode are selected.
...and the foot pedal was wired improperly...

Hopefully it shall be fixed soon !
rc

180guy
03-24-2011, 03:20 AM
Let me know how it ends up working for you.

rustycase
03-26-2011, 10:54 AM
Success!
Got the machine working well !
Fixed the transposed wired in the foot pedal connection, and got a circuit board from China which I installed myself.
Werks gud now!
...I got a 'long story' written up if anyone is interested in me posting it...
rc

Gadget
03-26-2011, 11:52 AM
Glad to hear you got it working RC

KHK
03-26-2011, 01:16 PM
Good news!!

rustycase
04-01-2011, 09:31 AM
Everything working well now... so I started making some mods to it.
Switched out the w26 torch for a wp17 radnor with a single hose... don't like it, so I switched back.
Next torch will be a wp20 using city water.
Got some gas lens parts, but need a longer plastic cup insulator???? Not sure where to locate the right part.
The gas lens is 1 7/8 long... much different than the standard collet used. and I need large gas cups, too.

Took apart the foot pedal and pulled the rheostat... put in a 5ft section of a 16gage 3 conductor cord I had cut off something, in the past.
Now the rheostat can sit in a 4-O metal box on the workbench instead of bending over to make an adjustment at the floor level with the foot pedal.
Have not tried it yet.

Also bent the arm on the microswitch for the off/on... it had been set so there was about 15% of wasted movement... now it triggers within 5%. Much better.
rc

star
12-18-2012, 12:45 PM
can any one tell me how to get hold of colossal tech, I need a new control board for my welder a super 200p mma heli-arc, plasma cutter welding machine thanks respond to twinbeechfarm2012@yahoo.com

rustycase
12-18-2012, 05:50 PM
Star, it seems I had the same problem with my machine, upon receipt of it, brand new out of the box. I contacted the vendor, who, in turn, contacted the factory. They mailed a replacement circuitboard to the vendor, who mailed it to me. Rather quickly, if I must say... I took the machine apart and replaced it myself. Fixed.
I had no direct contact with the factory.
Hope that helps?
rc

star
12-18-2012, 07:30 PM
Can you email me I cant tell you all the story here, to many people can view this message,,, thanks twinbeechfarm2012@yahoo.com

woody068
01-04-2013, 11:35 AM
Hello all, new to this forum.
I have a Super 200p and have been very happy with it until now.
I was going to do some MMA welding and discovered that i had no arc!
I double checked all cables, ground but they were good.
Then i tried plasma and TIG ,both AC and DC, same result, no spark at all.
The display reads "000" no matter how i turn the "amp knob".
The "over current light" does Not come on
I hear relays click as i switch from MMA to TIG, sounds normal
I have measured all power transistors and diodes and i cannot find any shorted component.
On the "top left" circuit board i measure 320 volt DC in from the rectifiers below but there is 0 volt out from this board.
I beleive the "front board" (the one with the potentionmeters) send controll voltages to the "top left" board to regulate current and so on but i cannot find any regulated voltage when i turn the "amp knob" and measure with a multimeter
There are 2 green LED's on the "top left" power board, they are lit up, (i think they indicate the 320 volt DC)
There are 3 red LED's on this board (and an small adjacent board thats soldered to this top board) none of these LED's are lit up.
there is a board "in the center at the bottom of the machine" this board gets 4 volatages from the transformer also down at the bottom.
the transformer puts out 4 20 volts in 8 cables that feed this board, there are 3 15volt voltage stabilisers on this board, they all have 15 volt out, but there are 4 connectors leaving this board, 2 wires each (red and black) leeding up to the different power transistor boards, there is only 4.5 volts at these connectors.
I am a trained electronics repairman (or used to be, i dont work with it anymore) so i should be able to repair this if i only had a schematic or got some tips on what to check next.
I will ofcourse pay for a schematic if anyone has it.
So anyone who had this problem or Longevity662966306631 support, please post some info about it
Regards /Janne Strom

Gadget
01-04-2013, 03:28 PM
Hi Janne and welcome to the forum. We like pictures here so be sure to include some showing your work. Be sure to post a bit about yourself in the introduce yourself section so we can get to know you. Also, keep an eye out for the next contest here. The odds of winning a great new Longevity machine are very good.

It may be helpful to know the brand name of the unit. Is it a collosal tech? I don't think Longevity has a Super 200P model. (could be wrong though) Are you using a pedal, that will affect the voltage reading. Also, try setting the HF points to .035" that's probably not the issue but still a good idea to check.
Dan

Nathan Stiltner
01-05-2013, 10:25 AM
Hi woody068.. Welcome to the Forum...

gilly
01-05-2013, 02:41 PM
Welcome to the forum woody068.

undercut
01-06-2013, 12:35 AM
Welcome to the forum woody068!

gcharlier
03-25-2015, 04:46 AM
Hi rustycase,
I have the same welder ( super200p) with the same problem ( pedal doesn't adjust current, always at 175A). ( I have checked my pedal pot/pin wiring. voltage divider looks correct.)
Which board did you replace?
Thanks
Glen

Gadget
03-25-2015, 06:09 AM
Hi gcharlier and welcome to the forum. We like pictures here so please include some showing your work. Be sure to post a bit about yourself in the introduce yourself section so we can get to know you. Also, consider entering the latest contest here. The odds of winning are great.
Dan