PDA
View Full Version :

What shade lens do you prefer?

Fastest1
03-09-2011, 12:17 AM
I have a Lincoln AD hood from HD. It is alright. I did experience the flashing issue but it seemed to go away if I set the hood in the sun or direct light prior to using it. (Is this my imagination or is there a battery or cap charging?) Anyway it came with a #11 lens. The only times I have used this hood was with a mig welder, welding steel. This lens just barely allowed me to see. I can understand protection but this might have been extreme. Doc, my eyes are fine! It is my skin that is burnt cause I couldnt see the fire I started. :twisted: Do different metals and processes require different shades? Or will 1 shade work for TIG, ARC and Plasma?

WookieWelding
03-09-2011, 12:26 AM
For Tig I use a #9 for MIG i use a 10 Stick i use 10-12 depending on the amp range same with inner shield
Oxy Fuel cutting welding and plasma cutting i use a #5

odleo
03-09-2011, 11:39 PM
I have two AD that range 9 to 13, 1 fixed shade 10. For MIG I use the 9 to 10 Stick use 10 to 12 depends on the amps. Just my .02 cents

180guy
03-21-2011, 03:34 AM
To me depends on amps. But everyone is different like a buddy of mine can't weld with anything darker then a 9; I personally like a 11 gold for most things or cobalt blue.

arandall
03-21-2011, 04:17 PM
To me depends on amps. But everyone is different like a buddy of mine can't weld with anything darker then a 9; I personally like a 11 gold for most things or cobalt blue.

I'm pretty much like your buddy. I'm no spring chicken, so my night vision isn't what it used to be, and I find I have trouble seeing even with the helmets set at 9. I don't like it, because I really don't want to damage my eyesight, but what can you do???