PDA
View Full Version :

Started on my cnc plasma... well sort of :)

brucer
02-09-2011, 08:44 PM
hey,

just bought my start on my cnc plasma table.. well sort of, i'm going to use it to make my skates, mount the racks, motor mounts and probably make the gantry and most everything else on the machine with it....

if hes a man of his word, i have me a nice bridgeport mill..

I'm paying $1500 for the old bridgeport, originally it come out of a vocational school so i bet its had a pretty easy life.. the guy that owns it now said he has used it very little in the last 5 yrs.. it definetly needs readouts..

i have to go pay for it, the guys holding it until the roads get decent enough to get there, he lives about an hour away and we had 2 inches of snow today and more is suppose to come down tomorrow...

i think its worth it..

rbengines
02-09-2011, 09:10 PM
Brucer nice buy. Just like mine. Do you know what year it is? If not there's a Serial # on the knee of the cross slide way and you can go on line to see what year it was made.

Gadget
02-09-2011, 09:12 PM
What a steal, I would love to have one but can't justify the cost. I really don't have room anyway.

atcig
02-09-2011, 09:25 PM
Gadget, I bet you could just make one for yourself.

brucer
02-09-2011, 09:36 PM
Brucer nice buy. Just like mine. Do you know what year it is? If not there's a Serial # on the knee of the cross slide way and you can go on line to see what year it was made.

i'll get the serial number and find out what year it is... i'm gonna guess later 60's model .. i dont think i could beat it buying a machine outright, especially a bridgeport... i've seen worse go for alot more... now i need readouts, vise and tooling...

---------- Post added at 10:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 PM ----------

What a steal, I would love to have one but can't justify the cost. I really don't have room anyway.

gadget, they sell smaller sized mills also... you can keep your eye out for a Clausing 8525 or 8530 they are about 3/4 the size of a bridgeport, they sell for about a $1000 to $2000.. ive seen a couple on craigslist, but the sell very quick.. so if your looking into buying one have cash and be ready to travel.. just dont buy one of the round necked mill/drills they are more hassle than theyre worth.. grizzly and jet also make some of those miniture sized milles but they are pretty expensive, but they are also pretty nice machines. Cinncinati also made a small model toolmaster mill, they are some extremely heavy mills for their size..

i had a Yuasa mill (bridgeport japanese clone) with readouts and powerfeed bought for $1200 but had to give it up because of the snow and distance and time frame the guy wanted it gone.. i just couldnt get there with the weather, so it was my loss... i lucked out and this one landed in my lap and its right at an hour away.. so for the price of driving 8 hrs to get it and then probably sleeping in a hotel room this more than makes up the $300 difference to me..

Gadget
02-09-2011, 09:40 PM
Bruce,
I'm actually about halfway through a horizontal mill build. I got side tracked this summer with painting the house then other things after that. Once I get the oil furnace installed in the garage I will have heat and will resume the work on it.

brucer
02-09-2011, 09:45 PM
sweet.... you making it cnc also?

KHK
02-09-2011, 10:01 PM
Nice buy! Good deals do come along...

Gadget
02-09-2011, 10:18 PM
No CNC on the mill, at least not for now.

arandall
02-09-2011, 11:17 PM
Brucer:
I'd love to own that Bridgeport too! - But then I guess I'd have to learn how to use it. - Don't guess that would hurt too much!!

atcig
02-09-2011, 11:17 PM
So how much should a beast like that cost?

rbengines
02-09-2011, 11:43 PM
I seen them go for $2500-$3500. he got a real good buy.

Charley Davidson
02-10-2011, 01:26 AM
VERY!!!!!! nice shape wow!!!!! I've seen them sell quite a bit cheaper but no where near as nice & I've seen them sell much higher but again none that look this good. Great find

WookieWelding
02-10-2011, 02:48 AM
Nice find and price
did it come with a phase converter ?

brucer
02-10-2011, 05:59 AM
Nice find and price
did it come with a phase converter ?

nope no phase converter.. a static phase converter only costs about $75...

rbengines
02-10-2011, 06:54 AM
Bruce that;s what I put on mine and it's been working since 1990

Gadget
02-10-2011, 08:55 AM
I used capacitors (air conditioner caps) between the unconnected third phase and one of the connected lines. I had to use a starter capacitor in the mix to get the motor going but once it is running you can drop the starter cap out. I ran mine for years that way with no problem. There is a formula somewhere that tells the capacity needed for different size motors. I'll see if I can find my sheet on it if you want to try it.

brucer
02-11-2011, 01:16 AM
I used capacitors (air conditioner caps) between the unconnected third phase and one of the connected lines. I had to use a starter capacitor in the mix to get the motor going but once it is running you can drop the starter cap out. I ran mine for years that way with no problem. There is a formula somewhere that tells the capacity needed for different size motors. I'll see if I can find my sheet on it if you want to try it.

i'll probably just buy one of those static phase converters for like $75...

---------- Post added at 02:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 AM ----------

the mill is a done deal.. went and paid for it today.

machine has very little backlash, quill is tight, tight machine overall, its runs exceptionally quiet.. i was suprised at how quiet it ran, usually an old bridgeport will rattle somewhere, this one was quiter than a sewing machine ..

I'm all giddy now...

lets see, kurt vise, set of r8 collets, a drill chuck, super spacer/indexing head, tie down set, digital readouts, x axis powerfeed... hmmm another $1000 i will have a nice setup :)