PDA
View Full Version :

1 inch severance cut with Longevity Force Cut LP80d

Gadget
09-21-2008, 05:31 PM
I got the wiring done to connect the Longevity Force Cut LP80d plasma cutter today. Simon confirmed it takes at least 40 amps but 50 is preferred. I wired mine for 50 amps. I made a quick 1 inch severance cut just to see how it performed. The link below is a video of the cut. Keep in mind my hand is not as steady as it used to be so it isn't a very smooth cut but it cut through and it looks like it could cut quite a bit thicker with no problems. The unit is more impressive each time I use it.
The cut was made at 80 amps with air pressure of 85psi.
Gadget

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZWxIRvG8Rs

cummins6speed
02-25-2009, 08:59 PM
Not bad, now I definitely want to buy one

Jake
02-26-2009, 02:58 PM
That is slick. thanks for the video. I actually learned alot from watching that stream of sparks.

Gadget
04-09-2009, 04:50 AM
The cut will always trail the torch slightly. You can see this in some of my CNC plasma video cuts too even on thin metal. The deeper the metal the greater this can be. Also, the faster the torch moves the more pronounced this will be. The only way you won't see this is if the torch is moving extremely slow but you will get a lot of slag.
I was cutting very close to the edge and across a hole midway through the piece. That's why you see the sparks increase midway through the cut. That was my first cut of anything that thick and I could probably do better.
Dan

tscuda
04-09-2009, 04:56 AM
SHHHHH your ruining my odds of winning. The torch can be started in open air???? Ok thats why you posted that disclaimer. I was thinking it was because your fingers make a good ground.

Gadget
04-09-2009, 04:57 AM
JBman,
I use the 80d for all my plasma cutting on my CNC table. I use the 60 amp torch with it though not the 80. The reason is the 60 can be modified to start without any metal contact and can in fact be started in open air (not recommended for safety reasons though). I can get away without a torch height control (around $350.00 and up) by setting the torch height to about .08 or .09
I am able to cut thinner metal at higher speed easily. The faster you go the less slag.
I'm still learning what speeds to use for different thickness of metal but for 3/32 to 1/8" metals I have been running 60 inches per minute. I think I can probably get away with 80 or possibly even 90 ipm and will test these speeds as time permits.
Quick answer to a simple question, the 80 works great on thinner metal too.
Dan
By the way, you need to upload an avatar and enter the contest for the MIG welder.

Gadget
04-09-2009, 04:57 AM
Only for a split second.

BearNPum
08-26-2009, 09:32 AM
Goes through that 1" decently fast. Pretty amazing really.

bhardy501
08-30-2009, 03:19 PM
Hey Gadget, I havent used my plasma very much, what kind of life you getting out of the consumables?

Gadget
08-30-2009, 03:54 PM
Hey Gadget, I havent used my plasma very much, what kind of life you getting out of the consumables?

I find the outer tip is what goes more often. There is no set length for each one, too many variables. Moisture can speed the demise of a tip. So can a lot of piercing and getting the tip too close to the work. I use mostly the 60 amp torch right now on my CNC table and if I set the job up well and do not have any warpage, the tip life is pretty good but again, I can't put at time on how long each tip lasts. I have had one tip fail on the first cut and others last for several hours of cutting. Most of the tips don't actually fail for me but get too sloppy for CNC work. I save them and use them for hand held cutting where it doesn't matter so much.
I must be practicing for politics, I rambled on but didn't specifically answer the question. ;-)

bhardy501
09-01-2009, 12:21 PM
Thats OK, I picked the info out of the ramble, I am used to that.