PDA
View Full Version :

Ultra Allsteel Rods

arandall
01-16-2011, 04:13 PM
The other day my Sister-In-Law was over talking about some weld rods she has been very successful in selling to a number of industries around here. They sounded interesting, so I asked her to send me a copy of the information sheet on them. It is attached below.
I have never used them, so can't comment from experience, but I know some of the companies she sells to are using them for bucket repair, hardfacing etc..
I thought some of the forum members might be interested. - anybody used them?

SICFabrications
01-16-2011, 07:45 PM
amtec makes a similar rod called the 264... its specifically made for welding dissimilar metals like carbon to stainless or high alloy to t-1 or ar-400 to spring steel..... very smooth running rods, blue in color, the actual weld itself can NOT be flame cut only plasma or carbon arc or mechanical. very strong welds... alot of seismic applications require the amtec 264 rods to be used and at about 300 bucks for 10 pounds for 1/8 they dang well better be the best...

art, if you can get them cheap, i would suggest getting them and weld some stuff with em... the weld deposit looks iridized (like a golden rainbow in color) you would run them almost exactly like a typical 7018. the one thing that i dont like about them is start/ stop pinholes...

i'll see if i have an amtec catalog and look them up or copy n paste the specs here.... but i would be willin to bet they are the same.

arandall
01-17-2011, 12:43 AM
Thanks Stan - I'll check the price with my Sister-In-Law. If it's good I'll get some. - - and they are blue!!

arandall
01-20-2011, 01:55 PM
Stan:
The price here is $80cdn for 2 1/2 lbs.

SICFabrications
01-20-2011, 04:04 PM
i have no idea how much that is compared to u.s. dollars, but if they are expensive, then i'll bet ya they are amtec 264 rods

Arcamm
01-20-2011, 09:30 PM
That's just over $300 US for 10 lbs.

---------- Post added at 11:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 PM ----------

Make that closer to $320 US. The two dollars are almost dead even.

SICFabrications
01-20-2011, 10:06 PM
yup, then they are for sure amtec.... i am here to tell you that you will not ever find a more smooth running rod and they take ALOT less amperage to run.... if i had a million dollars, i would stock the shop full of amtec rods....

samsberr
01-22-2011, 12:53 AM
Have ya ever burnt Rockmount Brutis AAA
very smooth, strong & about the same price.
I found 70lbs in unopened 10lb pkgs at an estate sale about 15 years ago.
got them all for 75.00 and have never bought anything but 6011 since.
I ended up selling a pkg. to a welder for 100.00 and some channel iron.
good stuff...