calltrex
01-15-2011, 06:12 PM
just got the 50D

can it be changed to 50I

was thinking after if i got a cnc table then i would need the 50i version

or do i have to buy anouther machine?

Gadget
01-15-2011, 06:38 PM
Hi Caltrex and welcome to the forum. We like pictures here so be sure to include some showing your work. Also, check out for the contest here. The odds of winning a great new Longevity machine are very good. Please post something about yourself in the introduce yourself section so we can get to know you.
I have the LP80 which is a high freq machine not pilot arc. What I did was use a pilot arc torch and connect the pilot wire to the ground connection so the arc will start off the metal with no problem. You could easily do the same for the 50D. Simon can get the P-80 torch that is straight shaft torch suitable for CNC with the pilot wire. That being said, you would have to weigh the cost of the P-80 against the cost to upgrade to the 50I.
Dan

calltrex
01-15-2011, 06:50 PM
I have the pilot arc torch

Gadget
01-15-2011, 06:58 PM
You should be able to make it work fine then. Just connect the pilot wire to ground for CNC cutting.

calltrex
01-15-2011, 07:01 PM
im just wondering what the differences are between the D and i version

Gadget
01-15-2011, 07:05 PM
The D is high freq start and uses MOSFET technology. The I uses IGBT technology which is supposed to be more robust and also has the pilot/constant starting. The constant is I believe about the same as hooking the pilot wire to ground.