PDA
View Full Version :

Observations of new cutter

lowlife
01-14-2011, 03:21 PM
40D pilot cut.

#1 Took 10 days to deliver. I suspect this is not a Longevity problem but sadly it can reflect on their business, however I was very happy with the Customer Service when I inquired about the delay.

#2 I may be mistaken but the cord looked to be a bit small gauged for the application. I did not measure it but it looks to be 14 gauge. Again its okay as I needed to put a longer cord on it anyway so it received a 25 foot 8 gauge. Yes I soldiered the connectors on to the cord. As long as I was inside I checked connections etc. Hope the cord doesn't void the warranty.

#3 Amp dial is way off compared to the readout. I assume the readout is the most accurate? I tried to adjust the knob but the sweep is wrong. Nothing serious I know you can put "BOB" "LARRY" and "DARRYL" as labels you just need to figure out you cut thin metal at darryl and thick at bob. Just an observation and would reflect well on Longevity if it matched. (perceived quality control and attention to detail)

#4 An included manual would be a plus, not a big deal I just ran in and downloaded one and real men don't read manuals anyhow.

#5 OMG how did I survive so long without a plasma cutter...Oh I know I couldn't afford one until I found an apparent quality unit for a reasonable price. I hope it turns out to be a good value. Talk is cheap only time will tell. I have only cut to 3/16 for now but it appears that I cat metal at nearly 40 amps whether it be thin or thick I just vary my speed. I will have to work on that.

Thanks Jay

LONGEVITY
01-14-2011, 05:25 PM
Hello Jay,

Sorry about the late delivery. We are transitioning from UPS to FedEx, but perhaps the snowed in states have had something to do with their transit lines.

2. The cord will not void warranty so that should not be an issue.

3. The dial on the front is not really as accurate on those machines because the display is not a potentiometer metered. Therefore, the dial on the unit is what actually controls your amps.

4. The newer manuals are not yet in print. I am glad you were able to download it.

5. SHOW US PICS! Thanks for being a LONGEVITY Customer

brucer
01-14-2011, 06:25 PM
congrats on your new plasma cutter Lowlife.

if its anything like my 40i, i was pleasantly surprised.

ISKI
01-17-2011, 12:41 PM
I'm with you on the how did I live without it and why! I think that making the cable heavyer is a good thing, but code allows for less when it is in open air, and short. If the vendor is going to save on costs somewhere this is the best place as it is easy to upgrade.

KHK
01-17-2011, 01:36 PM
Congrats on your new plasma cutter. I have a 200PI, which has a plasma cutter option. Once I got every set up, I sliced and diced every piece of metal in the shop. Why? It was FUN!!! So don't get carried away.