PDA
View Full Version :

CNC plasma cut today.

Gadget
01-09-2011, 03:57 PM
I'm not real happy with this cut today. I got lots of burn marks and the cut was real snotty. Haven't figured out what was wrong yet. Perhaps it was just too cold in the garage. This is the second attempt. Still got sooty deposit around the cut and lots of snot on the edge of the cut. Maybe I was running the table too slow. My CNC doesn't like the cold and will lose steps if I try to run it up to speed if it is too cold.
I've been able to get much better cuts than this in the past (warmer weather). I used a fresh set of consumables but that didn't seem to help that much. I did try a smaller tip this time, maybe it was that. Who knows.
It didn't clean up too bad but since I'm selling this one I will try again tomorrow.
Size is about 9" high and 13" wide. It will have pegs in the rectangle to hang finish medals for half marathons. The guy plans on running a half in every state thus the US outline.
Dan

KHK
01-09-2011, 10:05 PM
I think that it looks good!! Thanks for sharing.

Bluesman
01-10-2011, 09:00 AM
I think it looks fine. Slap a coat of paint on it and won't be able to tell it isn't supposed to be that way. Paint works miracles.

Gadget
01-10-2011, 09:31 AM
I would if it were for me but the guy wants the shiny aluminum finish. I've tried sanding and increasing the fineness of the sandpaper then polishing for a better finish but haven't had much luck with the final polishing. My buffer keeps depositing gunk on the piece and I haven't found a good hand polish that works well.

Bluesman
01-10-2011, 10:25 AM
I would if it were for me but the guy wants the shiny aluminum finish. I've tried sanding and increasing the fineness of the sandpaper then polishing for a better finish but haven't had much luck with the final polishing. My buffer keeps depositing gunk on the piece and I haven't found a good hand polish that works well.

Would Brasso work? I've never tried any on aluminum but I know it can work miracles on other metals.

samsberr
01-10-2011, 02:43 PM
Looks pretty good to me....

Gadget
01-10-2011, 03:18 PM
I cut another one today with the S45 torch and gut much better results. Here is the piece after some polishing. I will do some more polishing tomorrow then mount the pegs for the medals and hanger brackets on the back. I think I'm going to make about ten cents an hour for this ;-)
Having fun though,
Dan

atcig
01-10-2011, 04:00 PM
That one looks much better! Much crisper lines.

Gadget
01-10-2011, 04:50 PM
Would Brasso work? I've never tried any on aluminum but I know it can work miracles on other metals.
Brasso might work but it takes forever to get a shine. I tried it before and wasn't too impressed.
It's great on brass though. I still have my can from when I was in the service. A new can might work better, the old one is over 40 years old.
Dan

Bluesman
01-11-2011, 07:24 AM
Brasso might work but it takes forever to get a shine. I tried it before and wasn't too impressed.
It's great on brass though. I still have my can from when I was in the service. A new can might work better, the old one is over 40 years old.
Dan
Dang, that can is older than me! I would say get a new one definitely and put the old can on display over the fireplace mantle!

Gottagetone
01-11-2011, 10:32 AM
2nd one does look better but the first isn't bad. Are you planning on putting pegs where each state is so he can hang medals in each state he runs a 13.1 or are they going across the bottom?

Gadget
01-11-2011, 01:15 PM
Across the bottom. The aluminum is .1 thick and the two states seem to have enough strength to hold all the medal weight.

gilly
01-11-2011, 02:14 PM
Try a product called White Diamond Gadget.It's a metal polish.I bought mine from a harley dealer.It's a great metal polish.I use a 8" buffing wheel.Just put a hard stitched pad on one side and use a cutting polish for that wheel and a soft pad on the other side,using a white finish polish.I do the hard wheel first,then to the soft wheel,then if it still is a little cloudy,I finish with the white diamond.My stuff ended up looking like chrome.Disregard this if you already knew it.

Gadget
01-11-2011, 03:05 PM
No I didn't know that Gilly, I'll give it a try. I probably need a couple of new buffing wheels, mine are quite old.

Gadget
01-12-2011, 02:08 PM
Finished it. Here is how it turned out.

arandall
01-13-2011, 11:31 AM
Looking good Dan.