PDA
View Full Version :

Newbie Arc Welding with LC-416D

JDC
09-04-2008, 11:59 AM
Can anyone give any hints or tricks on what to set the machine at for arc welding? I picked up some 3/32 7018 rod. I saw in a post that it was a good overall rod to get. I seem to have trouble starting the arc and keeping it going. When I did get it going the first run I was melting the metal instead of welding. The rod also seemed to stick a lot and if I did not get it detached fast enough it would heat up really fast and glow red. I turned the knob down to around 100 and started again with a little better results. The weld actually looked good but again the rod got stuck on me. Any hints are appreciated. I was trying to weld some angle iron scrap that I had (maybe it needs to be cleaner?). Is this just normal newbie stuff here and I need to practice more?

MAD4metal
09-04-2008, 04:21 PM
stick welding is practice.......You only want to touch the rod to the work piece to start your arc, then hold the rod away from the work piece ( rule of thumb ) the thickness of the rod the same distance from the work. Of course the rod is burning down all the while so you need to adjust for this . Too hot and you burn through, too cold and it sticks.
As soon as it sticks let go of the rod with the holder, then bend it loose by hand. If you don't break the circuit by letting go of the holder and the rod has gotten too hot you can harm your machine. The coils in the machine actually are heating up too. Usually want to start again with a different rod if it sticks too many times and gets too hot.

Gaustin
09-04-2008, 08:45 PM
1st make sure the 7018 is on the POSITVE terminal on the machine. I would suggest a setting close to 90 at 1st.

Make sure you have a good ground. I suggest with these machine, ground directly to the piece you are welding if possible.

JDC
09-06-2008, 07:46 AM
Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it. I had the settings right but I was putting the stick right on the work and not holding it away. I will give that a try and hopefully have better results! I also signed up for and 8 week welding class. You meet once a week for 3 hours. Got stuck on the waiting list so I am hoping they add another class or someone drops out :-).

Gadget
09-06-2008, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it. I had the settings right but I was putting the stick right on the work and not holding it away.
You have to scratch the stick kind of like striking a match to start the arc with stick welding (gently not as agressive as striking a match). Sometimes you can tap start too but you have a chance of welding the rod to the metal and having to unclamp it to break the current.
Dan