PDA
View Full Version :

ForceCut 40D, ForceCut40I, ForceCut50I?

brucer
12-29-2010, 08:52 PM
i know the FC40d is mosfet plus its dual voltage which i like, the 40I uses the igbt electronics which is the most current technology... the 50I is a little out of my price range for the moment, atleast more than i'm wanting to spend right now...

i just sold my old bluepoint 25 amp plasma for $500 and i'm putting this money down for a new longevity plasma. moving to a 40amp machine is going to be an upgrade for me anyway. i have narrowed down the decision between the 40D or 40I, more than likely to test out the longevity products so i dont want to go head long into a rather large purchase right off the start not knowing the product history... i would rather work my way up, get my feet wet i guess you would say..

is the igbt technology worth the extra money? theres a big difference in price between the 40D and the 40I,I almost cant justify the difference.

does the 40D and 40I use the same torches (s45 trafimet)?

i have a thermal arc 185 tig welder and it uses the mosfet technology and its a rock solid tig welder..

i talked with simon on the phone and he gave me some great pricing on the 40I and 50I.. i guess i'll call him and check on the 40D pricing also, Simons probably getting tired of talking to me and sending me paypal requests :)..

anyone have any input on the 40D compared to the 40I strengths, weakness, performance, and reliability issues and pricing of comparing the 2 units.. or would i be better off going to a 50I? is the 50I any more reliable than a 40D or 40I?

i'm hoping to get into a cnc plasma later this year, but i think i'm going to just buy a larger machine for it, would probably go with a 60I or larger if the smaller unit works out good...

HELP!

thanks,
Brucer

Gadget
12-30-2010, 07:29 AM
Bruce,
Check the try before you buy section, there may be a Longevity owner near you with a unit you could try. I think both the MOSFET and IGBT are great units. The IGBT is supposed to be more industrial/commercial class which means it may hold up better for very high usage and may (not sure) have a higher duty cycle. I've had MOSFET and IGBT multifunction machines and they both performed very well. One thing to consider though for CNC is the duty cycle. I went with the LP80 (MOSFET) unit because it has a 100% duty cycle at 60 amps. No need to stop a long CNC cut to allow the unit to cool down. When I got mine IGBT was not available yet.
Dan

KHK
12-30-2010, 11:24 AM
Brucer,
The 40D and the 40I have different torches. The 40I has the S45 torch. The 40I will also cut thicker metal.

Kel Fab Creations
12-30-2010, 11:27 AM
whenever i buy new i try to make sure its the latest and greatest. cause you know in a year they'll have some new that puts this years best to shame. i would go with one of the IGBT models. wait till you can afford one of the bigger machines, unless you just eventually want 2 plasma's. it'll be cheaper in the end. i have a 60i hooked up to my torchmate cnc and i cannot complain.

brucer
12-30-2010, 04:09 PM
i'm thinking the 40i simply for the s45 torch, and i would rather do the cheaper of the 2 and save my money for a cnc table and dedicated plasma..

Gadget
12-30-2010, 04:24 PM
Good choice, the S45 torch seems to cut better and cleaner.