PDA
View Full Version :

250 PI questions

trkfixer
12-23-2010, 11:19 PM
Just got my new 250pi I haven't had time to rig my gas up yet, but did try the plazma which seemed to work fine. Then I set it to stick and ran a few beads on dc I noticed the base current only came up to 200 amps. So where's my other 50 amps ??

Arcamm
12-23-2010, 11:58 PM
The 250 amps is for TIG, the stick is 200. My 200PI is rated at 200amps TIG and 160 amps stick. Check out the spec sheet under the products tab.

SICFabrications
12-24-2010, 08:59 AM
170 amps is ALL you will ever need for 5/32 7018 stick and thats a decent sized rod.... only time you would ever need more if you were running 3/16 7024 stick rods and thats a production non xray flat position only rod and it runs at 300 amps.... carbon arc gouging, you would need more, but you shouldnt be carbon gouging with an inverter based machine anyway

trkfixer
12-24-2010, 10:51 AM
arcaman you are right I should have read my spec's ! :grin: I will be getting my gas hooked up and trying my hand at tig soon !
Thanks Guys

KHK
12-24-2010, 01:42 PM
Sounds good. Please keep us up to date on your progress.

trkfixer
01-04-2011, 01:32 AM
They say the only silly ? is the one you didnt ask so here ya go . My 250pi said it came with an air cooled tig torch so i figure that meant it just cools itself.........But i noticed to extra hoses at the machine end of the tig torch that apparntly make a loop threw it,so my question is do i need to hook up shop air in some way to force air threw it for cooling or does it just cool itself ?? I went back and looked threw the accesarys and found a water cooler, this wasnt anything i had planed on haveing to buy right now nor was it mentioned that I should . I just figured if i wasnt going to be doing production work i must not need it. But I dont want to destroy my torch before i learn how to use it !:smile:
Thanks guys
Ken

Gadget
01-04-2011, 06:24 AM
I wouldn't think you would need to supply air to it. I don't have the extra hoses you mention on my 200PI but it doesn't get too hot for just typical home use. I do quite a bit of TIG welding and have never had a problem. If the torch gets too hot to handle I just do something else until it has cooled. As long as you do the same you should be fine.
Dan

SICFabrications
01-04-2011, 06:30 AM
an air cooled torch will let you know when its "time" to let it rest, no worries about that.... when it gets hot that ya havin a hard time hanging on, set it down... its like a built in thermostatic buzzer of sorts...lol... as far as the extra hoses in the end? i would be curious about hat one as well... i can tell ya that it might not be a good idea to hook shop air to it tho, i just dont see that one turning out well... hope i helped

Gadget
01-04-2011, 06:32 AM
It kind of sounds like you may have actually gotten a water cooled torch, I would call Simon to see if you did. Still what Stan says applies whether it be water or air cooled.

KHK
01-04-2011, 10:10 AM
Could you post some pictures of the torch's connectors? This will help. The only time I could have used a watter cooled torch is when welding AL.

trkfixer
01-05-2011, 01:24 AM
I thought my welding needed work just look at my photo abilitys !:-( I have decided to practice with allumum first so the torch is getting pretty warm! I guess it wouldnt hurt anything if i took a blow gun and pushed air threw it the next time i get it hot to see if it helps cool it ,If it was made for water cool these lines are just makeing a loop right ?