Almost cried over this. Proud US Army, 1966-69

KTb6qdPu8JE

matteh99
12-07-2010, 05:52 PM
Thanks for posting.

Eric

Arcamm
12-07-2010, 06:30 PM
It's so easy to forget what it costs to keep this country free. Thanks for the reminder.

ISKI
12-07-2010, 07:53 PM
Thanks for posting.
My dad won't talk about any of it. He was on landing craft and was part of the D-Day invasion. I only know stories form others such as the captain of his boat. I won't retell what he did or the medals he received out of respect until he does as it is not mine to tell. When I was young I read the paper work about his D-Day Medal and looked at some of his war pictures, he noticed when he came home. He told me that their are no heroes in war. I think that he was afraid that some day I would be like him and join when I was 15 like he did, but not be so lucky. To make his point he burned everything. Several years ago someone writing a book about land crafts in WWII called him. His name was given to him by several others as the person who was in the worst of it on many occasions. He told the person nothing, and denied everything that others had said he did. I think that most of these heroes are like that, they down play every point, and what they went through will die with them. If you saw Grand Torino, you saw my dad, you saw your own dad.

Thanks for sharing
Iggy

KHK
12-07-2010, 11:14 PM
My Dad was a master rigger, civilian that was assigned to the united States Navy. He repaired the broken ships that made it back to port in the Pacific front. He started, building subs in Manitowoc Wisconsin. His twin brother was a gunner in a B52 and spent 6 months in a "WELCOME" camp in Germany. The other 6 brothers were in the Army, don't know where they were.
All have passed on now, but I DO remember!

As a parent I cannot imagine the stress of having 7 sons in harms way.