PDA
View Full Version :

Difference between helmets

UnfinishedProjects
12-06-2010, 10:39 AM
Ok, buying a helmet could be the most important purchase when it comes to welding, depending on how you "look" at it. God gave me one set of eyes so I want to keep 'em working as long as possible.

However, when I read about the Longevity helmets, I don't really "see" a big difference in the four lines, starter, advance, pro and elite.

Is there any noticable differences besides the prices?

Thanks,

Kev

Arcamm
12-06-2010, 01:10 PM
The biggest difference that see it the Elite has the grinding feature. The specs say it's a wee bit faster and I think the lens is bigger. I just got a pro helmet. It's my first auto and so far so good. Not blind yet.

UnfinishedProjects
12-06-2010, 01:21 PM
The grinding feature I can do without. The size of the lens is a huge factor that I forgot to look at. Definitely the bigger the better in my opinion. I will check out the specs and see if they list the lens sizes. Thanks.

brucer
12-31-2010, 02:49 AM
i use a speedglas 9000 series, its default shade is good for plasma cutting and i love it for tig welding.. its probably one of the lightest helmets, it also has one of the smaller profiles i've seen..
they are pricey but how much do eyes cost? it doesnt eat batteries either, alot of the helmets go through batteries, ive put one set of batteries in mine in 4 yrs.

i might add, when i look at a helmet i dont care the size of the lens, my speedglas lens is the smaller size but the lens placement on the helmet and the helmet placement on my head make it that i cant even tell its the smaller lens, i have a very good view out of the lens..

i had an older jackson, it was my first auto darkening helmet, i use to use it for a backup helmet or for friends when they come over, it was ok but the speedglas is more comfortable,lighter and more compact.. i let my nephew borrow it for his welding class in highschool, i'll probably never see it again :(

thermal arc has a good looking helmet, havent tried one but if its quality is anything like their welders i wouldnt be scared of it at all.. think they run around $160

i've looked at the hobart xvs helmets , they look pretty good, but i would have to cut the chin guard off of it.. they run around $100-$130

i'm not familiar with longevity helmets so i cant comment on them..

Charley Davidson
12-31-2010, 08:20 AM
Can't say if it's the cheap helmet I bought or that thing my dad warned me about when I was a teenager but I can't see a thing ...

I have 2 cheap helmets I got at garage sales, one is a non functioning auto darkening and the other is a functioning auto darkening but will not accept a cheater lens so I super glued one in (it fell out yesterday) I got it for $5 it's a Sperian. My daughter was gonna get me a HF helmet for Christmas but after reading reviews I nixed that. Soon as I can afford one I'm gonna get a decent $150 range one auto darkening of course.

matteh99
01-02-2011, 08:04 PM
I have a Pro Black Longevity helmet and I am not thrilled about the head gear part of it. It loosens up and flops down after I use it for a bit. Just welding it does fine. I don't know if the updated the helmet or not it was a while ago that I got mine.

I don't know if the other helmets have the same head gear part or not.

There was a fix for the helmet posted here a while ago but I don't know were and I haven't really looked into fixing it because it isn't that big of a problem.