PDA
View Full Version :

forney at-100

danbob
12-05-2010, 06:08 PM
This is a review of my new forney welder. It comes with a hooky slag hammer/ wire brush, a 6’ ground, an 8’ stinger and a plastic case that every thing fits in. The rod holder is just like the Harbor Freight holder. It works but HF had their 200-amp holder on sale so I got one of those. The ground clamp looks like a cheap jumper cable clamp but seems to work well. The only disappointment on first inspection was the 16-gage power cord.
I have a small circuit box that plugs in to a 50 amp 220 outlet to run my compressor so I made a dedicated 30 amp 120 outlet for the welder.
I put my clamp on amp gage on the power line and put it at 100 amps and ran a bead (3/32 rod) while the wife read the meter. She said it vacillated around plus or minus 19 amps at 120 volts.
I put a 150 amp shunt between ground and the part and repeated the above procedure and got a reading of 150 amps ( 50 milavolts). I believe that the pulsating dc raised havoc with Ohms law. I ran a bead on a 1.5 long 3/16 wall sq. tube (3/32 rod 6013 at 100 amps) and at the end of the weld the material was cherry red all the way through to a width of ½ inch so I believe it to be able to welding 3/16 material.
I put it on the electronics bench and found that it puts out pulsating dc at about 43 kilocycles at 57 volt with no load.
I am very pleased with it. It will do very well for what I want it for. The only problem is the welder has been away from it for years and it seems it is not like riding a bike because I can’t remember how to do it.
Dan

Gadget
12-05-2010, 06:48 PM
Thanks for a nice writeup Dan. I moved it to the appropriate location in the Other Manufacturers forum section.